www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers problem!!

2 posters

Go down

Villiers problem!! Empty Villiers problem!!

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17 2011, 12:42

Last week I won six engines on fleabay for £32 not far from home. The bloke I got them from thought 3 were runners, 2 villiers and a B & S. So yesterday afternoon after tiding my shed I thought I'd see what was what, I'd left 2 Villiers in the van but put the rest in my lock up, so I got them out to try them. 1st Villiers I think it's a Mk20 started no problem just need a few bits sorting. The second Villiers is either a MK10 or MK12 looks good all painted up on a small wood frame. I put my tester on the plug lead and it has a good spark so I put petrol in and cranked it over nothing. I took the plug out (looks new) and found it had no gap so re-gapped it and tryed again, still nothing, removed it and found the gap closed again. Looking down the plug hole I can see that it's hitting something. Question is it's not the head gasket as it's to thick, it's like a plate, does anyone know if it should be there and I need a shorter reach plug or has something been fitted the wrong way round. The plate I can see passed it a see the piston moving, yet it's fouling when the plug is fitted. I know nothing about these so your help would be very grateful.

Stu.

PS I't's the engine top left on the pic.

Villiers problem!! KGrHqRh4E2I67K1VBNmu31Ysw_12

Back to top Go down

Villiers problem!! Empty Re: Villiers problem!!

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17 2011, 22:23

I was doing a similar thing with a JAP model 3, in the end I found that it was to long reach for the engine and was closing when being tightened down, might be the same issue.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Apr 17 2011, 22:31

one top left looks like a suffok engine , originally was a orange/ redish , they ushally have a short reach plug in same as some of the Briggs engines usually a Champion RJ19LMR if i remember correctly aint fiddled with these engines for a few years now works got mainly Honda's . Just try it you cant make it no worse stu .

regards , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Sun Apr 17 2011, 23:14

Short reach plug is needed as Matt as said already they changed plugs it catches people out Laughing
Jonesey Smile
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 18 2011, 13:20

I did a bit of research on Greens spark plug site and found that Champion L78 should do the job as it's about 1/4inch shorter so I'll try one of them.
Matt it could be of a lawn mower I'm not that clued up on them, I do have a 1966 Suffolk Colt buried in the back of one of my shed so I'll see if it's the same.
I do have a buyer for an engine once I've got one running, but not sure which one,as I was going to get rid of the B & S, yet I now see the B & S (removed from a bale elivator) are becoming collectable, so don't want to sell something that's collectable as he just wants to make a sort of generator (engine/alternator/battery) for an allotment garden he has.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19 2011, 19:26

Problem solved Very Happy tried a shorter reach plug and it works fine. Starts and runs great Very Happy Very Happy

Now I've got to find a pulley to fit on the end of the drive shaft as the only one's I've got is to small or to big Sad roll on the next rally so I can have a look for one.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Tue Apr 19 2011, 23:15

And what size are you looking for may I ask Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing get the tape out and give us the size you never now I might have somthing lurking about
Jonesey Smile
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 07 2011, 11:39

The pulley is 3/4inch bore, could you let me know the price posted please Mr. Jones Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down