www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D re-bore clearance

5 posters

Go down

Lister D re-bore clearance  Empty Lister D re-bore clearance

Post by Endckr111 Wed Aug 31 2022, 09:27

Hi All,
  Would anyone have details on what clearance piston to cylinder wall when a re-bore is undertaken on a lister D cast iron cylinder
I believe there’s information somewhere online but I can’t find it! As I may need to have a rebore on a future crankcase, but as I haven’t seen it in the flesh! Just want to prepare myself first
I’ve already done a search of places that will undertake the work, near my town, but so far a real problem trying to find anyone to do it, so seems I’m going to have to travel some distance once I do find one!
So if you know a company/ engineer near Scunthorpe/Hull/Lincoln/Doncaster in that area I would be pleased have details ect!
Many thanks
Mark

Endckr111
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister D re-bore clearance  Empty Re: Lister D re-bore clearance

Post by maryalice Wed Aug 31 2022, 18:44

Your first search would be for a new plus sized cast piston, Listers did there own re boring of engines, they fitted plaques to the engine identifying the re bore size.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Wed Aug 31 2022, 19:25

Foxwood Engineering at Chesterfield rebored the cylinder of my Petter WH1 a few years ago. https://www.foxwooddiesel.com/

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Endckr111 Thu Sep 01 2022, 12:28

Thanks Pete, I’ve dropped them a message on there site, see what they say! I did find a retired engineer in my village who did re-bores, but I couldn’t tempt him one last time! Anyway I will soldier on as they say
Still trying to find details of clearance after re-bore between cylinder wall and piston
Mark

Endckr111
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Thu Sep 01 2022, 13:08

You need to find a Piston and give it to the machinists and they will work out the clearance, also you need to see if the old piston has a +10 or what ever stamped in the the piston crown and you need to measure the bore to know what you need. I doubt you will find the clearance your looking for without the piston.

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Sep 01 2022, 17:04

Personally I'd scrap the bottom end and find another, plenty of them around.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaudin98 Sat Nov 26 2022, 15:52

When reboring an engine it is normally carried out to a set size say 20 or 40 or 60 thou oversize. When using commercially available oversized pistons either new or old stock the boring allowance is normally allowed for on the piston. So the bore in the case of a Lister D type would be 3.00''+20 thou so the block would be bored to 3.020'' if using a +20 piston. It is bad practice to bore the block with the running clearance allowance in the bore. This is because you will never get odd sized oversized rings. Say 3.025'' if the running clearance was in the bore. If you mic up a 20 thou oversized piston you will find the piston is about 4 to 5 thou undersize.
As to a person to bore the engine this is something we can do if you supply the oversized piston.

Gaudin98
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down