www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D magneto wanted. Early direct drive type

+2
maryalice
chuffchuff
6 posters

Go down

Lister D magneto wanted. Early direct drive type Empty Lister D magneto wanted. Early direct drive type

Post by chuffchuff Mon Nov 09 2020, 17:53

Wanted for my ongoing restoration is a magneto for an early type Lister D.  It's the direct drive type mag that I require and not the chain driven type.  The mag doesn't need to be working but would need at least to be complete and restorable.  Thanks.

chuffchuff
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Lister D magneto wanted. Early direct drive type Empty Re: Lister D magneto wanted. Early direct drive type

Post by maryalice Mon Nov 09 2020, 18:40

To get the engine running you can use, within reason, any rotary magneto, you will need to make a spacer for under the magneto foot and a coupling usually a fibre one.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Lister D magneto wanted. Early direct drive type Empty Re: Lister D magneto wanted. Early direct drive type

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Tue Nov 10 2020, 08:02

There is a Lister ML for sale on Facebook at the moment.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Tue Nov 10 2020, 08:37

No wonder I cant find any.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue Nov 10 2020, 18:01

[quote="maryalice"]To get the engine running you can use, within reason, any rotary magneto, you will need to make a spacer for under the magneto foot and a coupling usually a fibre one.

Maryalice    [/quote]

Always thought the one with the fibre drive was a Wico A series mag and the Lucas ML was a 2 part metal coupling...
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Tue Nov 10 2020, 18:06

Careful, your slipping, I didnt refer to any specific magneto and the fibre one is easier to make Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue Nov 10 2020, 18:38

[quote="maryalice"]Careful, your slipping, I didnt refer to any specific magneto and the fibre one is easier to make Twisted Evil Twisted Evil [/quote]

But if it has the shaft for the  metal drive then the fibre drive will not fit/work....

And it's "You're"... lol! lol! lol!
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Tue Nov 10 2020, 18:47

No imagination, adapt it to suit, no problem Idea Idea

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue Nov 10 2020, 18:50

Bodge, Leggit & Scarper! iagree
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Wed Nov 11 2020, 09:33

Appletop wrote:Bodge, Leggit & Scarper! iagree

I believe that firm's legal advice is provided by Sue Grabit and Runne

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Wed Nov 11 2020, 17:16

Appletop wrote:Bodge, Leggit & Scarper! iagree

A similar company? Very Happy

Lister D magneto wanted. Early direct drive type Bidfor33

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Wed Nov 11 2020, 17:51

[quote="Robotstar5"][quote="Appletop"]Bodge, Leggit & Scarper! iagree [/quote]

A similar company? Very Happy

[url=https://servimg.com/view/20008529/464][img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f93/20/00/85/29/bidfor33.jpg[/img][/url]
[/quote]

Yup, Ground works dept....
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Fri Nov 13 2020, 13:09

Very good.
So it turns out that I do have the correct mag for the engine however along the way the mag had been fitted with a drive sprocket rather than the correct shaft adaptor or shaft coupling.
So now I'm on the hunt for a 'proper job' Lister D drive coupling. 'I' type drive connection on the engine side and taper and locknut on the mag-side. I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

This is the only part I need now to get the old thing awoken from a fifty year or thereabout rest period. Thumbs Up

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Nov 13 2020, 14:48

You need this bit....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRoiA42QKf5ztceWh0v1cXg52rlAPuNxsRS7w&usqp=CAU
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sat Nov 14 2020, 18:03

That's a really good help thanks, at least now I know the way to go for making-up something. Thanks again for the photo. Thumbs Up

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Nov 14 2020, 21:05

Chuffchuff,
Have you enough info, sadly today the heavens opened today so getting in the shed was a no no, weather permitting I will look tomorrow if you need more.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sat Nov 14 2020, 22:20

Thanks very much Maryalice. Thumbs Up
I'm pretty sure I know the way to go now thanks so please don't trouble yourself with rummaging around in the shed.   I've decided that I'm going to machine up a pair of coupling halves, no doubt that will take a good few workshop hours to get something suitable made up but as long as 'her indoors' doesn't complain too much it will be worth it. Laughing

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down