www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Burtonwood compressor

3 posters

Go down

Burtonwood compressor Empty Burtonwood compressor

Post by chiefy Wed May 06 2015, 10:45

I have a Burtonwood compressor engine no tank which i wish to run with a villiers MK25, iwant to run a model steam engine off it.idont want to have a tank, does anyone know which way it runs clock or anti clock, also does this sound to be a goer any constructive comments welcome,thanks.chiefy.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Burtonwood compressor Empty Re: Burtonwood compressor

Post by Woodsman Wed May 06 2015, 14:57

You might try contacting Fluidair who took over Burtonwood in 1968 - they may have some archive info.
Also, tanks here: http://www.gumtree.com/p/air-compressors/compressor-tank/1112051283

Could you post a pic of your steam engine please - I've always fancied one but balked at the cost of buying and certifying a boiler.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Thu May 07 2015, 12:56

Hi Paul, thanks for the info about Burtonwood compressors being taken over by Fluidair,isuspect that the compressor will run either clock or anticlock main problems would be cooling and running without pressure tank i do not want to have a tank as this would come under the pressure vessel regulations,we have enough elfin safety regs as it is,the steam engine i want to run is a steeple engine,again if we have a steam boiler this comes under the pressure vessel regs,i cant send pictures to you i dont know how it is done.Best Regards Keith.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Darryl Ovens Mon May 11 2015, 03:56

I don't know that much about steam engines.  Choose to keep away because of the bureaucracy etc.  but I'd suggest considering a good water trap if running direct off the compressor, (even if off a cylinder, if the atmosphere is damp!)  I gather moisture can do significant damage to steam engines running on compressed air as they don't get hot and dry out, possible minor hydraulic risk too.

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Tue May 12 2015, 10:46

Hi Darryl. Thanks for the info re running steam engine on compressed air, i did wonder about water getting in the cylinder,water can be fatal in closed cylinders it could bend conrod or knock cylinder head out,I might do better running a alternator of the MK25 and running steam engine off a electic motor,if i can find a 12volt motor.Best regards Keith.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Darryl Ovens Tue May 12 2015, 11:06

I don't think it means you can't run them on compressed air, it's just I've been amazed at how much water sometimes condenses out when spray painting and a little in the cylinder could be a rust issue.  Of course they get much more than that on steam while the cylinders are cold hence starting with the cylinder drains open.  Maybe a small orifice in the cylinder drains (ie drain valves slightly open), or some thing like relief valves in the drains would help to prevent hydraulic risk.  Main thing would be to dry out the engine after a run.  Or use dry air to finish on, (diving air is dry, I wonder how the dive tank filling stations dry the air).

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Tue May 12 2015, 11:29

Hi Darryl,I drive a 71/4"gauge steam loco most weekends which is not superheated and it is amazing how much water comes out of the cylinders after it has been standing for only a short time,i used to work on main line steam when i was a young man,but thats a long time ago.I suppose the properway to go would be to build a boiler and run it off that, but i seem to have too many jobs ongoing and not enough time,so must get on with making my dinner more distraction.Regards Keith.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Darryl Ovens Tue May 12 2015, 22:38

Yes well, I can see I have been trying to "teach grandma to suck eggs" as they say.   Embarassed 

I helped with construction of a private 71/4"-5" track near here, a few years ago, (mostly using my Gravelys on track bed Grading).  
See Winter Creek Railway

But I have to admit I was more interested in the track building than the rolling stock.  If I was to get into building and running my own rolling stock it would be something more along the lines of the rail tractors that became common in the local logging industry between the little steam lokeys but before road took over.  Most of these had extra wide wheels to allow them to run on wooden rails (and allow them to tolerate inconsistent gauges, sharp curves, etc), and had all axles driven including some of those under the adjacent "bolsters" (not sure I have the right word here, equivalent to the bogey under one end of the log).  This allowed them to tackle the steep grades often found in bush tramways.
Like you I have too many interests and jobs ongoing and time is short,  (maybe when I retire?).
In case it is of interest this Thread on NZ Stationary engine forum is my main interest and time consumer (next to work that is).

Cheers
Darryl

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Fri May 15 2015, 10:27

Hi Darryl, I see we both have similar interests in steam and stationary engines,I agree time is short my wife died 6 years ago and i now find myself in charge of everything most of this keeps me out of my workshop,which has a Harrison Lathe also a flatbed Drummond dated 1905 which was my dads lathe still a good little lathe,i also have a Tom Senior horrizontal/vertical mill,i think i need a housekeeper but i cant afford one which is a bugger.Best Regards keith.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down