www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D starts perfectly, runs relatively smooth.. then rough, then smooth again when warm

3 posters

Go down

Lister D starts perfectly, runs relatively smooth.. then rough, then smooth again when warm Empty Lister D starts perfectly, runs relatively smooth.. then rough, then smooth again when warm

Post by wdf Sat Nov 29 2014, 20:44

I hope someone has got some ideas on this one....

I can start my Lister D perfectly first time.... in fact even after standing for long periods... it then runs okay and relatively smooth, but after a short while as it starts to warm up it becomes very uneven and shakes around badly, but then when properly warmed up (ie. not boiling, but say hotter than 60 deg C for example) it is perfectly smooth.

its running on 1000 rpm governor springs at the moment, and when it gets properly warm it is fine...

there is a period of say 15 minutes as it warms up it jumps around a lot in this in between phase of when starting to warm up, but not properly warm. any ideas? is it anything to do with the timing?

Given it starts amazingly well from cold then I am ruling out compression problems, and similarly spark problems.

Any ideas?

wdf
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Lister D starts perfectly, runs relatively smooth.. then rough, then smooth again when warm Empty Re: Lister D starts perfectly, runs relatively smooth.. then rough, then smooth again when warm

Post by 200TDi Sat Nov 29 2014, 20:52

wonder if you have plug fouling - cleared by heating enough to burn off contamination? Not sure how that would fit with good cold running though........

Petter A1 V/O 3hp@1500rpm - Serial 538215
200TDi
200TDi
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister D starts perfectly, runs relatively smooth.. then rough, then smooth again when warm Empty Re: Lister D starts perfectly, runs relatively smooth.. then rough, then smooth again when warm

Post by wdf Sat Nov 29 2014, 21:10

yes, and I might add that during this mid "warming up period" the rough running gradually increases, to get really bad, like nearly jumping around off the ground.. then after a few minutes subsides. it's sort of like a little mountain peak of bad running that builds up then subsides fairly quickly...the only thing I can think it is maybe to do with the crappy modern petrol?

wdf
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Sat Nov 29 2014, 22:00

Maybe carburettor/fuel settings. Also, is the governor working smoothly when cold, before starting, all linkages well oiled and free to move ? I take it when you start the engine it immediately runs up to the same speed it is running at 15 minutes later when you say it is running well ? I would be tempted to give it more fuel at first by opening up the needle and then back it off when the engine gets warm. Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by wdf Sun Nov 30 2014, 10:22

fowlerfan wrote:Maybe carburettor/fuel settings.  Also, is the governor working smoothly when cold, before starting, all linkages well oiled and free to move ?  I take it when you start the engine it immediately runs up to the same speed it is running at 15 minutes later when you say it is running well ?  I would be tempted to give it more fuel at first by opening up the needle and then back it off when the engine gets warm.  Cheers Dave

Thanks for that, they are all oiled and I have tried twiddling around the mixture. similarly the governor housing is all cleaned out inside etc.

it appears that the speed is the same. (ie visually). though without sticking a handheld tacho I could not be totally sure, maybe a good start therefore would be to get a handheld tacho to actually check this. (I have found a simple small engine one for less than £10 that's powered by its own lithium battery) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tachometer-Stroke-Engine-Outboard-Mercury/dp/B00ACDP6YU

wdf
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down