www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister Starts. Them Races (Full Throttle), Then Cuts Out!

4 posters

Go down

Lister Starts. Them Races (Full Throttle), Then Cuts Out! Empty Lister Starts. Them Races (Full Throttle), Then Cuts Out!

Post by The Listy Lad Sat Jun 14 2014, 21:33

Hey Guys,

My Lister D sort of runs again but every time I start it it goes to Full Flat Revs and then Cuts Out.

I cleaned all parts of the Carb and Lines but still no joy.

I took the governor rod off, cleaned it and put it back on, and on the top part of the linkage I put the pin through on the right hand side and then place in the split pin on the left, so that the hook of the governor spring is sandwiced between one side of the governor bar and the edge of the pin, is this right and can someone provide a picture of were it goes so I know it is right.

I am 15 and this is my first time restoring a engine so I think I need some help.

Also as a side note does anybody know the rarity of a Villiers Mark/7 as I have a orange one which is battered all to hell and needs a new piston etc but I think it may be salvageable.
Is there any chance that incorrectly seated valves or worn valves could cause this, as my engine came from a cement mixer and the valves have never been touched.

Could it be that or do you have any other suggestions on what it could be? Smile

I know I put this up earlier but I could really do with a answer tonight.

Cheers
Luke Smile

The Listy Lad
I really need to post more
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Lister Starts. Them Races (Full Throttle), Then Cuts Out! Empty Re: Lister Starts. Them Races (Full Throttle), Then Cuts Out!

Post by Darryl Ovens Sun Jun 15 2014, 00:14

I'd have thought it sounds like sticky governor (and perhaps fuel starvation), but sounds like you have covered that.

I don't know the details of the governor linkage on those, but did the governor close the throttle when it "raced", and then open it again as it stopped? if not is it jamming or the spring too tight?  If jammed try to figure out where it jams, could be anywhere between the flyweights and the throttle butterfly.

Cheers
Darryl
(PS 11:00 am Sunday here)

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Lister Starts. Them Races (Full Throttle), Then Cuts Out! Empty Re: Lister Starts. Them Races (Full Throttle), Then Cuts Out!

Post by blue cat Sun Jun 15 2014, 10:04

have you checked that the throttle is closing as the engine runs up to its rated speed ?
from your description your carb linkages don't sound right.
i think if you can post a picture of the carb and its linkages it would help us to find the problem.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Jun 15 2014, 10:15

This is the best picture I can find of a D governor arrangement, if what you have doesn't look like this then you have a problem.

Checks you can do...

1. Does the vertical rod move up and down about 1 1/2 inches?

2. Is the bottom rod free to rotate with no resistance?

3. Is the pin in the bottom governor assembly free to move in and out?

4. Have you taken the weights etc apart?

5. Is the spring to tight?

That's a start...
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down