www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

H2 pump pressure relief valve

3 posters

Go down

H2 pump pressure relief valve Empty H2 pump pressure relief valve

Post by wdf Fri May 31 2013, 13:24

Does anyone know how tight the pressure relief valve (see pic) I have should be done? and if when tight it is still expected to allow a slight trickle of water out (ie not a perfect seal?)

I have cleaned the seat inside...and cleaned the brass ball.... and even ground it into the seat with some engine valve grinding compund.... but yet when up to pressure, whilst on the hose its plenty of pressure I still get a trickle from the relief valve.

The pressure on the pipe is plenty, and gives enough pressure to provide a high pressure spray...... so I assume this is normal for the valve to not have a perfect seal? (when running it has a pipe that comes from this back into the supply tank.)

I found even if I pushed the spring down harder it still leaked a bit... so its the brass ball itself not being perfect?

When I removed the brass ball I could see that over the years it appears people had removed it and rotated it to get a "good" face for it to seat on... as there were numerous wear mark rings in various places.... looking like over 70+ years it had been swapped around several times....

H2 pump pressure relief valve Dscf1667

wdf
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

H2 pump pressure relief valve Empty Re: H2 pump pressure relief valve

Post by Appletop Fri May 31 2013, 19:01

It should be a perfect seal when you have two lances in operation and open a little when one of the lance is shut off going to fully open when both lances are shut off, this is to prevent over pressurization and overdoseing of chemicals when only using one lance.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri May 31 2013, 23:30

Sounds like your ball's worn out! Embarassed

If you can measure the ball you could probably get a replacement (I know a company in America which does bronze control balls very cheap). In the meantime maybe try using something a little finer than valve paste, like Solvol Autosol metal polish. It might just get you a better seal.

Otherwise, it sounds like fair wear & tear after all that time. Nice outfit though 👍

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

H2 pump pressure relief valve Empty Ball wear

Post by wdf Sat Jun 01 2013, 01:55

nutgone wrote:Sounds like your ball's worn out! Embarassed

If you can measure the ball you could probably get a replacement (I know a company in America which does bronze control balls very cheap). In the meantime maybe try using something a little finer than valve paste, like Solvol Autosol metal polish. It might just get you a better seal.

Otherwise, it sounds like fair wear & tear after all that time. Nice outfit though 👍

Thanks for that, I mean its all gone perfect apart from the leakage due to ball wear.... I actually have planted a few fruit trees in order to actually make meaningful use of the sprayer.... a shiny new brass ball is definitely in order........

wdf
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down