www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Help lister d spark plug ?

+8
Matth92
Lewis MacRae
Appletop
StewartH
nutgone
jay
blackvanman
Lankypaul
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Help lister d spark plug ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Help lister d spark plug ?

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Oct 22 2013, 03:04

villiers 2 and 4 stokes love a lodge plug
i have about 15 pinks in my ready to fit stock pile ,and a brand new "well never used " black lodge plug in its steel tin
i find they fire a engine ,a lot quicker and easier than champions even on lucas wico bosch magnetos ,
well my wx11 i can flick the flywheel like a open crank and it usually starts within 4 flicks on a lodge ,but you canforget it with a champion for some reason ,good old yank on the rope to get fire ,but thats just me:) 
my lister A amost a full B was a ngk and thous stumpy old esso plugs only Shocked 
champions 7-8 comms seam to handle vapourizing oils better though i find
but as weve all found different engines preffere different makes and type styles of plug  single twins and tripple tips ect ect
this is a topic we could go on and on and on and on ect ect about as a plugs a plug but what we choose or our engines ,is to our own collections tastes:D 
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Tue Oct 22 2013, 10:55

Well - this has proved very useful - good feedback for those learning the joys of stationary engine ownership..... thanks to all for the input...

So in order of preference (and perhaps suitability) the choices for a Lister d spark plug are as follows...

Lodge BBL (hard to find 'new old' stock - expensive) OEM equipment
Champion 8 COM (easier to find but reasonably high cost at Approx £15 each)
Champion D16 (easy to find and cheap at Approx £3 each plus shipping)
NGK AB6 (easy to find and cheap at Approx £3 each plus shipping)

Anyone got any preferences? - and reasons why?

I am assuming they are all the same length so as not to foul the piston or create a detonation in the wrong part of the cylinder - and also assume they can take an M4 knurled terminal nut. But assuming can always go horribly wrong so if anybody knows the answers then I'd be grateful for any info...

Best

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Oct 22 2013, 12:29

StewartH wrote:Well - this has proved very useful - good feedback for those learning the joys of stationary engine ownership..... thanks to all for the input...

So in order of preference (and perhaps suitability) the choices for a Lister d spark plug are as follows...

Lodge BBL (hard to find 'new old' stock - expensive) OEM equipment
Champion 8 COM (easier to find but reasonably high cost at Approx £15 each)
Champion D16 (easy  to find and cheap at Approx £3 each plus shipping)
NGK AB6 (easy to find and cheap at Approx £3 each plus shipping)

Anyone got any preferences? - and reasons why?

I am assuming they are all the same length so as not to foul the piston or create a detonation in the wrong part of the cylinder - and also assume they can take an M4 knurled terminal nut. But assuming can always go horribly wrong so if anybody knows the answers then I'd be grateful for any info...

Best

Hamish
If your mag is any good then it shouldn't be too fussy on what plugs, I like the pink lodge ones best but they are hard to get hold of

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Oct 22 2013, 13:42

StewartH wrote:

Best

Hamish
Most 18mm plugs are the same reach (length), although you can get longer ones, but these would carry a different number/code.

They do not all have the same M4 threaded terminal though, many of the older ones use a BA thread & some of the old but not so old ones have an AF (UNF) thread.

Personally I keep an M4 die & re-thread all mine M4, but it doesn't always make for a good thread, so sometimes needs a small washer or something. I also keep an abundance of old plug terminal screws. Greens do all the different brass knurled ones, so it may be worth buying a couple of each, just in case (or just buy one M4 die & wing-it like I do, but double threading is never good engineering practice).

The alternative is to buy some of the wire clips instead, these do away with the terminal screw. I've got a couple here somewhere, they're good for trial runs when you might need to remove the lead in a hurry. Greens do them as well.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Tue Oct 22 2013, 14:15

Thank you Nutgone - much appreciated advice.

StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Oct 22 2013, 15:33

StewartH wrote:Thank you Nutgone - much appreciated advice.

No problem, always happy to help.

Here's the wire clips, they can look quite good I reckon. I bought some from a bloke at a rally, with a couple of plugs. He told me the clips were rare & "you just can't get hold of them these days", this pic is from Green Sparkplugs website....

Help lister d spark plug ? - Page 2 Spring_clip_klg_type_160

Here's the link to the item & the website....

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/spark-plugs/spark-plug-connectors1/misc-spring-clip-klg-type.html

Handy to keep around. There's a couple of rally-fields in Sussex which still have a brass sparkplug terminal screw of mine. Usually you can find them but sometimes the grass just swallows them up & never gives them back. Embarassed Mad 

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Fri Dec 13 2013, 20:37

i use a new old stock lodge CV plug,
seems to work great

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2