www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D White metal Big End bearing

2 posters

Go down

Lister D White metal Big End bearing Empty Lister D White metal Big End bearing

Post by wdf Tue Apr 09 2013, 13:15

ok, I have now taken it to bits further to clean it and repaint... so now its all in bits leaving a bare block bolted to the trolley........

anyway, the big end bearing white metal has worn down to the backing, to the exteme a last "sliver" of white metal fell off the shell...

now, it looks like the replacements are bronze copies.....

but... I have read elsewhere that they MUST be white metal and then machined.....

so, what do I do? fit a maybe not so perfect replacement new bronze bearing, or just put it back together with the worn old one....

i mean... its maybe better to have something worn and original that has already "worn" into the crank as opposed to a copy that may be worse than the old worn one....

wdf
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Lister D White metal Big End bearing Empty Re: Lister D White metal Big End bearing

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:24

Sounds like your stuck in the middle for what to do for the best. Problem being if your bearings are worn that much how much longer will they last as the end of the bearings life it starts to break up and parts of it stick to the cranshaft. But if your not running the engine that much will they last a few more years. Personally I'd go for the bronze ones as othes must have used them with some success and not all failures.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Lister D White metal Big End bearing Empty Re: Lister D White metal Big End bearing

Post by Biggusdannus Wed Apr 10 2013, 15:27

The bearings on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-D-Oilite-Replacement-Big-End-Bush-/290892386968?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item43ba899298 are oilite and I have used these before. They are fairly easy to fit with the aid of engineers blue and a bearing scraper, the only thing that caused me hassle was removing the old bearing from the con rod. Hope this helps. Dan
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by wdf Wed Apr 10 2013, 17:11

stationary stu wrote:Sounds like your stuck in the middle for what to do for the best. Problem being if your bearings are worn that much how much longer will they last as the end of the bearings life it starts to break up and parts of it stick to the cranshaft. But if your not running the engine that much will they last a few more years. Personally I'd go for the bronze ones as othes must have used them with some success and not all failures.

Stu.

yes, i see your point, and now having already "disturbed" the bearing... and had a little sliver of white metal come off already..... it is more likely that if I just reassembled it then it is of very limited life and could cause siezure to the big end crank journal.

I will go for a new bearing.

wdf
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 12:44

Personally I think your making the correct choice, for the price of the bearing a little bit of hard work they should see your lifetime out. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Keep us updated on how you get on,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down