www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Petter A1 On Gas

+2
blackvanman
Andrew1971
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Petter A1 On Gas - Page 3 Empty Re: Petter A1 On Gas

Post by Andrew1971 Wed Mar 27 2013, 13:46

Stu yes your right there nothing is ever really finished !! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Andrew

Andrew1971
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Mar 27 2013, 16:56

Andrew1971 wrote:
But i have noticed is when gas cartridge is put in warm water engine speed does increase. lol! lol!
It's all trail+error i have never done this before Smile
That would be because you are using the most impractical gas on the planet, butane, it has a very high freezing point which is made worse by it in its self being a refrigerant, the more you use it the colder it gets, reducing pressure as it freezes lol.
Some of the worst offenders are the flat cartridge stoves that take a large butane cartridge that slots in one side, in this weather by the time you have used less than 1/4 of the gas the cartridge freezes and can't be used, a mate of mine out for an evenings radio play had 4 cartridges on the go in -5C 1 in the stove the other 3 in various peoples trousers warming up to be next just to try and boil a kettle Very Happy, in the mean time I pulled out my trusty coleman, filled it with unleaded and boiled my kettle in around 7 minutes Very Happy

I only use butane on my camping fridge as it has such a low demand with such a small flame it doesn't give me any issues. Everything else I only use propane. Some bigger equipment I have can put 1/2" of ice on the outside of a propane cylinder in this weather Very Happy So butane is well out of the equation Very Happy

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Mar 27 2013, 19:48

Yeah, butane is summer gas really. I only ever use propane (also have a Coleman unleaded cooker, dual burner as well Very Happy ). You can get butane/propane mix gas cartridges, which I have used before in my little gas heaters, they work quite well, but they can tend to boil off the propane first, leaving just butane which then freezes, but that hasn't happened to me much.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew1971 Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:23

Hi All
I am still playing with A1. I did have another thought automatic inlet valve !! and if possible make her horizontal Smile
then open crank her Shocked then make her hit+miss Shocked Shocked
Guess which one i am thinking of doing :stick lol: :stick lol:
Andrew

Andrew1971
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05 2013, 12:25

Andrew pity you can't pick up a cheap Lister D as someone else has had the same idea as you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390569251981?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Just a short bike ride over the hill to pick it up. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew1971 Fri Apr 05 2013, 18:37

Thank's for the link Stu. Lister D's seem to go for more money the me petter a1 cost.
Plus it's good fun trying do it myself with what i have Smile Smile
Andrew

Andrew1971
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 13:03

I didn't think you'd be wanting to start another gas conversion it was just to show you how they'd done it.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew1971 Sat Apr 06 2013, 17:48

Cheer's Stu now i see what you mean Smile If and when i get this one done next one would be a two stroke conversion to gas :stick lol:
Andrew

Andrew1971
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 12:51

Andrew1971 wrote:Cheer's Stu now i see what you mean Smile If and when i get this one done next one would be a two stroke conversion to gas :stick lol:
Andrew

Now that sounds very interesting. Shame I haven't a 2 stroke to spare or I would have loan you it to you to try.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3