www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

A few photos of my engines

+3
braydh
matt86
A Lister
7 posters

Go down

A few photos of my engines Empty A few photos of my engines

Post by A Lister Sat Jan 12 2013, 18:41

Inspired by 'Mo3mini's photos of his engines I thought I'd post a few photos of mine too, so here are a couple of 'before and after' photos of my Lister A28s engine. It was first supplied in July 1940 to Zwicky & Co of Slough to be fitted to an airfield fuel bowser as part of a WW2 Air Ministry contract. After the war it was returned to Lister for reconditioning and resale and is believed to have been used to drive a saw bench on a farm afterwards. It was in poor condition and a non-runner when I bought it and needed a new fuel tank, piston rings, big end bearing, valve springs, exhaust, fuel and water taps, etc. It took me a few years to find all the parts I needed and to restore it, but I'm quite pleased with the end result and the engine now runs well.

Before:

A few photos of my engines Before1

After:

A few photos of my engines A28s5

Here's a photo of my first stationary engine, a 1940 Lister D that I bought when I was 18. I've had this engine so long it needed a second refurbishment 5 years ago, this photo was taken just afterwards... it is now fitted with the correct black rubber HT lead. I also have a Bentall Mk J corn mill (restored), and have a couple of other restoration projects on the go (an H2 pump and a 12v dynamo), so plenty of jobs to keep me out of trouble! Thanks for reading this thread.

1940 Lister D:

A few photos of my engines PICT0018

A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

A few photos of my engines Empty Re: A few photos of my engines

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 12:44

Wow Jules you do an excellant job of restoring your engines. The Lister A has been brought back from scrap twice so to speak (although I don't think it would be that worn out when the MOD finished with it.) Your engines are something to be proud of all the hours and hours of work that must have gone into them.
If you want to put a thread up about your other restorations, maybe as you do them it would be very welcome.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lister Mon Jan 14 2013, 11:38

Thanks for the comments Stu, that Lister A restoration was a bit of a long-term project! I couldn't rush it as it took me a couple of years to find a good second-hand big end bearing, the original one was worn down almost to the locating peg. I also had a couple of house moves while restoring it, so in the end it took me about 5 years to complete it. I'll post a thread about my Lister H2 pump restoration as suggested (just waiting for some warmer weather so I can start repainting it!). Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14 2013, 11:57

I think there's a few on here sitting with long restorations because they can't source the parts or there that expensive it takes a while to buy in everything they need. Good to see you never gave up and continued with it a true labour of love.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 14 2013, 12:35

some nice engines there. for future reference with big end bearings. you can't get new ones poured into your rod. There is a company called JEL bearings that do it. nevertheless a wonderfully engine.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by braydh Mon Jan 14 2013, 16:02

really nice engines

braydh

Back to top Go down

A few photos of my engines Empty nice

Post by ray Sun Jan 20 2013, 21:33

nice A lister, nice finish on the paint work did you spray them ?
ray
ray
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Mon Jan 21 2013, 08:17

ray wrote:nice A lister, nice finish on the paint work did you spray them ?

my exact first thoughts.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lister Mon Jan 21 2013, 12:55

Thanks for the comments chaps. No, both engines were brush painted; the Lister A was more difficult to do than the D though. The hopper and fuel tank were the most difficult bits for me to paint due to the smooth flat surfaces, I kept getting paint runs and 'curtains', so it took me several attempts to get them looking right! I also had problems trying to stop small 'pin head' rust bubbles forming on part of the hopper, despite using 'rust killer' and anti-rust primer. The finish isn't perfect, there are one or two brush marks here and there, which you can't see in the photos. It still looks a little bit too shiny, but the paint should tone down with age. Here's a photo taken during the restoration:

A few photos of my engines Paijnted1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21 2013, 13:01

Jules I'd want that finish to stay not fade, it looks as if a lot of time and effort went into getting such a good paint finish.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by ray Mon Jan 21 2013, 20:00

stationary stu wrote:Jules I'd want that finish to stay not fade, it looks as if a lot of time and effort went into getting such a good paint finish.

Stu.

I'd say
ray
ray

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Jan 21 2013, 22:33

Nice engines Jules.

Can I ask, where did you get the Zwicky badge for the Lister trolley? My brother has a Stuart Turner P5XC (originally made by Stuart exclusively for use on Zwicky military fuel bowsers) which I am currently helping him restore back to it's original rad cooling, a Zwicky badge like that would look great on the radiator top tank. Very Happy

I'm guessing it's just a case of waiting to see what comes along, but I would be very interested to know if there's reproduction ones available, or even if Zwicky are still going???

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lister Tue Jan 22 2013, 10:01

I bought the Zwicky sign on ebay a few years ago, luckily no one else seemed to want it so I didn't have to pay much for it (a very limited market I suppose!). It's cast aluminium with raised letters and border. I don't know if Zwicky are still in business or not, I'll have to do some research when I get chance. I've found a few WW2 photos of Zwicky bowsers on the internet, including a nice colour one on the Imperial War Museum website: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207807 (interesting website too, well worth a look round), but they've been ones fitted with the Lister A engine. As you say, Stuart also provided engines for Zwicky bowsers though. Best of luck with the restoration.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jan 22 2013, 10:29

Thanks for the response Jules, I will just have to keep my eyes open I guess.

BTW, the level of finish on that Lister A really is one of the best I've ever seen. You could've taught Lister a thing or two with an engine looking that good Smile

Weather people like shiny engines or not, you really can't deny the amount of work & patience which goes into a job like that. It's a real credit to you.

(personally I quite like shiny engines, & I like rusty engines. In fact, I just like engines cheers )

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by glowes3 Thu Mar 14 2013, 07:13

Just catching up on posts I have looked at yet.
Glad I did and saw the pictures of your Listers.
All these great looking engines are getting my motivation up for spending Saturday on the rusty Ruston that I've looked at for a while but haven't got into.
Regards
glowes3
glowes3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 14 2013, 11:22

glowes3 wrote:Just catching up on posts I have looked at yet.
Glad I did and saw the pictures of your Listers.
All these great looking engines are getting my motivation up for spending Saturday on the rusty Ruston that I've looked at for a while but haven't got into.
Regards

That's what I do or look at engines running on You Tube, it gives me inspiration to do something.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down