www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

bamford 4hp O.C

4 posters

Go down

bamford 4hp O.C Empty bamford 4hp O.C

Post by jay Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Just gone and picked up a Bamford 4hp O.C 220mile round trip but was worth it..

bamford 4hp O.C IMG_0552

bamford 4hp O.C IMG_0550

bamford 4hp O.C IMG_0549

bamford 4hp O.C IMG_0426
Someone in its past life has stamped a 0 with a dot punch beside the 4 for some reason.

got to set up the water injection pipe and tank for when I run it on parrafin/heating oil on a load or maybe just set up so its there and looks like it works Smile
Timing is a bit out but it does run ok with no clonks or rattles

jay
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

bamford 4hp O.C Empty Re: bamford 4hp O.C

Post by matt86 Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:57 pm

nice engine there What is it like to move about on that trolley .... looks a bit heavy

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jay Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:42 pm

duno about on grass..As only moved it from my van to the garden to fiddle with timing tonight,I moved it ok on my own up a slight hill from the driveway to the back garden..Was hoping to go to a small rally sunday but seems unlikely now so will fiddle with timing as downloaded a manual of how to set it correctly as it sounds slightly advanced and wont run quite right in the normal setting on the mag but runs okish on start up position..quite simple to adjust as well but also think by loking closly the throttle governor spring seems a bit on the tight side which may not help its running but again thats easy to sort a new spring of correctish tension(I think its a bit to strong a spring)
oh and the exhaust is a bit loud(not that i am worried about that as neighbours are noisy during the daytime)

jay
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:16 pm

have to wait and see Jay ... even moving a smaller engine like a lister A amanco etc i would make a trolley with a steerable axle ... like the trolley i just made .

Im sure you will get the timing set up just fine after a trial by error technique .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Looks a great engine Jay
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:40 am

Nice looking engine Jay, I'm sure it won't take you much to sort it. Did you get that off ebay as there was one very similar for sale on there.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:57 am

stationary stu wrote: Did you get that off ebay as there was one very similar for sale on there.

Stu.

was on here too Stu

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t5306-bamford-4hp-o-c-engine

argosy pump
Villiers mk 15
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:04 pm

hob wrote:
stationary stu wrote: Did you get that off ebay as there was one very similar for sale on there.

Stu.

was on here too Stu

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t5306-bamford-4hp-o-c-engine

Thanks Neville knew I'd seen one for sale somewhere Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by jay Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:43 pm

yes was lewis engine...
runs better now I had a much longer run on parrafin.Found out why it sometimes has a slight missfire,seems like both inlet and exhaust valve springs are a bit weak as exhaust valve bounces a bit to much as if I hold it closed it runs with a very nice regular beat..compression is good when turned by hand with just a small amount of blow by the piston skirt you can see a small bit of blow by when its running but that will go when the engine is more run in(lewis said he had rehoned the bore)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnhUQt_RxqA&feature=plcp

jay
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:47 pm

i would be happy with that if i was you Jay Very Happy

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:48 am

Sounds to be running well Jay nice and smooth. Good work and as you say it should improve once it beds in.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by jay Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 pm

going up the road again today and going to run it for a few hours,its a bit to noisy to run in the garden for to long..I made up a spacer which goes under the exhaust valve and i made a smaller spacer(basically some big washers welded together on the inlet valve) so hopefully it has tensioned up the spring a bit more it doesnt bind as i checked that and if that dont work may have to get a spring made up unless I find one..
I am very happy with the engine as wanted a big open crank for a while now but with me moving house that plan was going to be set back till next year and as lewis was selling his at what I thought a good fair price bearing in mind what he told me (and from looking at the pics from when he bought it) he had spent a fair bit of cash on bits(fuel tank/exhaust/carb mixer,proberbly other things which i have forgotten about)and his time

jay
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 am

I hope your modification to the valves works out ok Jay, myself I'd be to scared to try it in case I snapped or bent something.
Let us know how you get on and if your mod is a sucess.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by jay Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:05 pm

has the engine running again for a few more hours and my mod/workin bodge seems to have made a improvment to the running and the exhaust note is more of a deep boop boop boop now compared to before..still think new springs would be better.Had a quote already for springs but they can only do them in a run of 10 so may do that and sell the ones I dont need as someone out there must need new springs as well,got a 6 week waiting list any way on new springs and I wont need them till december sort of time.

jay
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 am

Glad to hear it's improved it's running. Sounds like a good idea to get some new ones made and a run of 10 is not that many to sell on.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by jay Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Y1Qr-mZZQ

running even better after a failure of the inlet valve cage gasket when i was at haddenham rally which was bodged for henham the week after..I never found someone who did the correct gasket/seal so I used a car exhaust gasket crush ring which so far has held fine with no sign of leakage..
Running has improved as I managed to make a spacer up to give the springs a bit more tension,I was quoted a stupid high figure for new ones made with no guarentee they would even be the correct strength as seems no one knows the poundage rate of the springs..

jay
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down