www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Bamford EV2

3 posters

Go down

Bamford EV2  Empty Bamford EV2

Post by Biggusdannus Wed Jul 03 2013, 15:41

I'm off to pick up yet another engine tomorrow, a Bamford Ev2 it is a runner but an older restoration all trolley mounted. It's missing the starting handle but it has a wico a impulse mag so I should be able to start it ok on the flywheels, does anyone know the size of the crankshaft?
I told myself I wasn't going to buy anymore engines but this took my fancy and I've just got rid of 4 other engines so I thought sod it why not Very Happy 
I will post a few more pics when I get the engine home tomorrow.
Bamford EV2  Kgrhqm10
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Bamford EV2  Empty Re: Bamford EV2

Post by Appletop Wed Jul 03 2013, 15:45

Shaft is smaller than a D type and if I remember right is 1 3/8inch. The proper handles come up on idiotbay quite regularly.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Wed Jul 03 2013, 16:29

Villiers wrote:Shaft is smaller than a D type and if I remember right is 1 3/8inch. The proper handles come up on idiotbay quite regularly.

Ah yes thanks, I had a feeling it was 1 3/8".
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jul 04 2013, 02:15

Biggusdannus wrote:
Villiers wrote:Shaft is smaller than a D type and if I remember right is 1 3/8inch. The proper handles come up on idiotbay quite regularly.

Ah yes thanks, I had a feeling it was 1 3/8".

measure twice buy once
i have a few crank handles around the d size but not d sized
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 04 2013, 16:04

Dan you bugger, I had a trembling finger on that engine, was just about to bid and thought, Hmmmm !! need to get some projects finished first otherwise it would be here, think we need to communicate when engines are advertised to save bidding each other up !!

Janner

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Thu Jul 04 2013, 20:03

janner wrote:Dan you bugger, I had a trembling finger on that engine, was just about to bid and thought, Hmmmm !! need to get some projects finished first otherwise it would be here, think we need to communicate when engines are advertised to save bidding each other up !!

Janner

Haha yeah maybe we should mate, It's happened a couple of times before hasn't it, The lister B and the john cherry pump and that's only the ones we know about. I won't be buying for a while now so you should be 'safe' for a bit. Very Happy 
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 04 2013, 20:05

Biggusdannus wrote:
janner wrote:Dan you bugger, I had a trembling finger on that engine, was just about to bid and thought, Hmmmm !! need to get some projects finished first otherwise it would be here, think we need to communicate when engines are advertised to save bidding each other up !!

Janner

Haha yeah maybe we should mate, It's happened a couple of times before hasn't it, The lister B and the john cherry pump and that's only the ones we know about. I won't be buying for a while now so you should be 'safe' for a bit. Very Happy 

Just remember me when the ruston is for sale !!! Mate Basketball Basketball 

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Thu Jul 04 2013, 20:07

janner wrote:
Biggusdannus wrote:

Janner

Just remember me when the ruston is for sale !!!   Mate Basketball Basketball 

You'll have to prise that out of my cold dead hands before I let that go i'm afraid mate Very Happy 
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 04 2013, 20:14

Biggusdannus wrote:
janner wrote:
Biggusdannus wrote:

Janner

Just remember me when the ruston is for sale !!!   Mate Basketball Basketball 

You'll have to prise that out of my cold dead hands before I let that go i'm afraid mate Very Happy 

affraid affraid :stick lol: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Fri Jul 05 2013, 05:32

Hi all. I got the Bamford home yesterday late afternoon and after about an hour of fiddling (cleaning the points, changing the ht lead and plug) I managed to get it to start and run. It took a fair bit of coaxing and once it was running I noticed that the exhaust note wasn't quite right and it wouldn't settle down to an even speed. I decided to put the engine away and have a go again tomorrow.
I woke up at 3am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep to I got up and went down the workshop. I decided to take the carb off and check the jets, these were found to be partially blocked. I blew them through with the air line and reassembled the carb.
I then turned my attention to the timing which after finding the timing mark was found to be set wrong. The engine is fitted with a Wico A mag with an impulse, the impulse was tripping on the timing mark on the flywheel which is no good as when the engine fires and disengages the impulse the mag would be firing way before the mark. I have set the mag up properly now so the points open on the mark without the impulse.
It's now nearly 5.30am so still too early to fire the engine up and check if what I've done has cured the problem. I have to go to work for a few hours this morning when I get back i'll have a 'play' and report back. 👍 Cheers Dan
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 05 2013, 07:13

She'll be alright Dan, post a vid up when she's running mate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Fri Jul 05 2013, 10:42

Right I have put off work til later and been down and given the Bamford a run, It now starts easily and sounds much better. I can't seem to slow it down much though, should there be an adjustable rod between the governor and carb control rod? The rod on the engine is made from a single piece of solid square bar so there's no adjustment.
Also the butterfly spindle is quite a sloppy fit in the carb so that is probably contributing to the erratic revs, I seem to recall that this is a common problem on these engines?
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Jul 05 2013, 11:08

dan
it sound like your getting there with it mate
may be the bar is to long/short for the speed your after ,and it may just be searching for a load on the flywheel ,
to settle it down if revs are high
sure youll figure it in the next couple days mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Fri Jul 05 2013, 13:33

Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Jul 05 2013, 13:51

Here is mine for comparison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHBaKC8an_o&feature=c4-overview&list=UUEg5sWa9AkPjDGUNj3mMRCA
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Fri Jul 05 2013, 14:13

Villiers wrote:Here is mine for comparison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHBaKC8an_o&feature=c4-overview&list=UUEg5sWa9AkPjDGUNj3mMRCA

Thanks for the link, if I can get mine to run like that i'll be happy.
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Jul 05 2013, 14:21

Think mine is a little retarded on the ignition, that's why it runs so smooth.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 05 2013, 18:44

Villiers wrote:Think mine is a little retarded on the ignition, that's why it runs so smooth.

Sure the engines retarded and not the owner !!!!!! OUCH ..... couldn't resist Rob:D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Jul 05 2013, 19:27

[quote="janner"][quote="Villiers"]Think mine is a little retarded on the ignition, that's why it runs so smooth.[/quote]

Sure the engines retarded and not the owner !!!!!! OUCH ..... couldn't resist Rob:D [/quote]

Arseholes Janner!!!!!!Mad 

It's the engine, not me, I'm an engineer.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down