www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister L Hedge Find

+8
pauldg
hob
ian webb
JONESEY
graham kent
kevjhnsn
matt86
Abes
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lister L Hedge Find Empty Lister L Hedge Find

Post by Abes Tue Jun 26 2012, 19:13

Well due to Graham and Gary being Luddite's where computers are concerned have been asked to start a thread on an engine they've just acquired.

A brief bit of back ground history, its was discovered on a farm a few weeks ago by a family member whilst doing a bit of business with the land owner, he could only see the name lister sticking out from a hedge which he reported back to Gary, on hearing this both the lads went to investigate what it was and if for-sale, after a bit of haggling and a couple of weeks waiting the deal was struck, the engine was then picked up at the weekend and dropped round to Grahams gaff, the engine has now been identified as a Lister L supplied to T. White & Son, Castle Cary in August 1922 (info from David Edington), its on its original trolley and appears to be complete though seized this is down to there having been no spark plug left in the hole so water managed to get in but after taking the cover plate off last night the internals look in quite good condition, the trolley is made up of 5"x5" x6' hardwood beams the rear wheels are 24"x3" the front wheels are 19"x3", all the trolley fixings are cast iron, situated between the tank and the engine is a small centrifuge pump which is powered by a thin leather belt which appears to pump the cooling water round the system, the cooling system is a screen cooling setup water tank and cooling system all look original.

Quick update Graham just rang with the help of Gary and 3 other family members have now managed to strip engine down to main block, have a lot of seized parts but it looks like the engine is on its way to recovery lol

Grahams going to bring his camera in tomorrow so will post some pics then

Last edited by Abes on Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:44; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Lister L Hedge Find Empty Re: Lister L Hedge Find

Post by matt86 Tue Jun 26 2012, 20:27

Sounds like a nice project to get there teeth into .... white maybe the name before T H Whites ...? now a ford new Holland dealership .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Jun 27 2012, 04:03

good on you all lads
i love a challange like that from time to time
i would love a hedge find on that scale and with all the rest to go with fan f-ing-tastic mate
hope all goes well for all concearned and enjoy

my mate has just brought me around a air cooled "bernard motuor "
frence me thinks
modern possably
seized but looking complete-ish to me
but for now on with the amanco for me until such time of stuckness due to one thing or another
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27 2012, 11:14

That's a cracking find boys hope it's not in to bad of a condition once it's stripped down. There is the odd Lister L bits get on to ebay but they do make good money so heres hoping you can manage to salvage most if not all the parts you'll need.
Sounds like it will be a great show engine when finished,

Good luck boys,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Wed Jun 27 2012, 20:06

Well as promised here's the pics, have hit first snag as said now stripped down the only thing is how to get the piston out, its nearly at the bottom on the stroke and there's no access from the top any and all help much appricitaed scratch

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0010

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0011

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0012

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0013

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0014

Admin

Back to top Go down

Lister L Hedge Find Empty re lister L find

Post by graham kent Wed Jun 27 2012, 22:09

thanks to abes for doing this as he said the piston is well stuck any help cheers
graham kent
graham kent
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Jun 27 2012, 22:56

graham kent wrote:thanks to abes for doing this as he said the piston is well stuck any help cheers

alot of soaking in diesel or even hot oil ....That worked on my A and that was stuck at bdc .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jun 28 2012, 02:04

i always use old sump oil mixed with wd40 and/or paraffin and leave it for a week to soak in
and as matt says ,i use a blow lamp on the under side of the piston if possable and heat the oil through that way as the hot stuff raises from the piston
it lifts the looser crud out the sides and allows the cooler mix to work in thee gaps ect ect
ive heard of people using the cheapest cola drinks they can find and leave the acid to do its work
atleast the plug is on the top of the lister tank cooled ones, to poor the mixture down i had to free of my old lister a through the side plug hole Mad
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Thu Jun 28 2012, 07:01

What a great find, photos are great too thanks for posting them Abes
Like what's been said keep soaking it with anything type of oil, if you can get the Conroe of the crank that will be a great help.
Don't try rushing it let it soak and every time you walk past it give it a clout with a hammer and block of wood
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jun 28 2012, 16:14

some good ideas there you might find the piston is seized in the bore and the mains are not .... you could try after soaking with heat etc taking the nuts for the cylinder off and rock the engine with more heat and soaking eventually the cylinder with pop and once that's happened you gently rock until you can get crank to tdc If bolted down same way as the A type you could cut some small lengths of tube and replace the nuts on the studs and wind them down .The pieces of tube fit on the top of the nut and as you wind the nuts off 1 turn going around in same pattern to lift equally the cylinder will jack it self off ...thats amusing you have left lots of dowsings of oil in the bore .

A idea to heat some oil in a old pan like hydraulic oil untill starts to see bubbles and pour that down the plug hole ....

if the nuts go tight though you will need more soaking and heat .... Remember you have got time on your hands . Last thing is that you want to break anything .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Thu Jun 28 2012, 18:49

Engine fully stripped down crank out just the piston now left in, cant get to the piston from the top as now head removed just a small hole visable, Graham fully cleaned the block inside and out and has suspended it upside down and poured WD40 in there at the moment but said he is going to get a couple of bottles of cheap cola and pour that in as well lol, will keep you undated as progress is made

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jun 28 2012, 20:38

Abes wrote:Engine fully stripped down crank out just the piston now left in, cant get to the piston from the top as now head removed just a small hole visable, Graham fully cleaned the block inside and out and has suspended it upside down and poured WD40 in there at the moment but said he is going to get a couple of bottles of cheap cola and pour that in as well lol, will keep you undated as progress is made

Cheep cola might work but has never worked for me hot oil seems to work the best .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Thu Jun 28 2012, 20:51

Cheers Matt ill pass your findings on to Graham and Gary think this engine is going to be trial and error

matt86 wrote:
Abes wrote:Engine fully stripped down crank out just the piston now left in, cant get to the piston from the top as now head removed just a small hole visable, Graham fully cleaned the block inside and out and has suspended it upside down and poured WD40 in there at the moment but said he is going to get a couple of bottles of cheap cola and pour that in as well lol, will keep you undated as progress is made

Cheep cola might work but has never worked for me hot oil seems to work the best .

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jun 28 2012, 21:05

Abes wrote:Cheers Matt ill pass your findings on to Graham and Gary think this engine is going to be trial and error

matt86 wrote:

matt

least you have got the majority apart and now just the piston to deal with .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Thu Jun 28 2012, 21:21

i told them sunday when he came round Duck oil in the bore warm the block gently till duck oil boils leave overnight do the same again next day, i would put money on piston just pushing out of the bore, ask mike he nearly fell A over T when i did it for him and he went to put pressure on the crank and it had already unsiezed itself, never failed for me yet,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Thu Jun 28 2012, 21:39

Cheers mate no mention of Duck oil this end bet he forgot, quick one Duck oil best place to get it please

ian webb wrote:i told them sunday when he came round Duck oil in the bore warm the block gently till duck oil boils leave overnight do the same again next day, i would put money on piston just pushing out of the bore, ask mike he nearly fell A over T when i did it for him and he went to put pressure on the crank and it had already unsiezed itself, never failed for me yet,
Ian

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jun 28 2012, 22:16

Abes wrote:Cheers mate no mention of Duck oil this end bet he forgot, quick one Duck oil best place to get it please

ian webb wrote:i told them sunday when he came round Duck oil in the bore warm the block gently till duck oil boils leave overnight do the same again next day, i would put money on piston just pushing out of the bore, ask mike he nearly fell A over T when i did it for him and he went to put pressure on the crank and it had already unsiezed itself, never failed for me yet,
Ian

from a ducks back ..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

normally a engineering suppliers or even a agricultural merchant

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Fri Jun 29 2012, 02:16

motor factors sell it, dorset auto spares, its on ebay and other places not cheap though, about 35.00 for 5ltrs i think ask mike he bought some,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 11:14

I once used cheap coke and it did nothing apart from eat the piston away, so never use on an ally piston lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jul 01 2012, 18:08

If your wanting duck oil to pour into the cylinder why not just use some diesel ....

alot cheaper and does the job .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue Jul 03 2012, 18:23

Quick update on progress so far the engine is now fully stripped down with the exception of the piston and the valves which are well and truly seized in the head both of which are submerged in a big bucket of diesel at this very moment, the main block has been stripped and cleaned and at the weekend had its first couple of coats of paint, all bearing housings, governor, cam shaft and carb have been stripped and cleaned, cam has been refitted , have found that the bearing on the pulley side might need replacing due to wear in the middle of the bearing but intend to mic them up and see how much wear its got will put pics up later this evening

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue Jul 03 2012, 18:44

Here's the pics as promised

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0015

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0016

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0017

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0018

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0019

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0020

Lister L Hedge Find Sany0021

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:29

are you lads doing this during the day at work .... seems to be coming along quickly Shocked

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:37

LOL no mate this project is nowt to do with me though would love to spend my day doing such things but as much as we would like to the credit must go to Graham who seems to be spending all his spare time after work stripping and cleaning though he says hes finding it a bit hard doing all the nuts and bolts as his drill wire brush is down too its last few bristles lol so having to do it by hand now

matt86 wrote:are you lads doing this during the day at work .... seems to be coming along quickly Shocked

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:56

all i found in the hedge was ..............................................................weeds Shocked

interesting topic Laughing

argosy pump
Villiers mk 15
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down