www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto....

+7
Foden
matt86
ian webb
JONESEY
mike d
Abes
Biggsy
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 Empty Re: My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto....

Post by matt86 Sun Jul 08 2012, 11:04

sorry cant help you there without trying some spanners on myself .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 Empty Re: My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto....

Post by Foden Sun Jul 08 2012, 13:32

Biggsy wrote:does anyone know what size the bolts are that holdthe cylinder head on and the exhaust flange for a lister d etc?

thanks
paul

Not sure if you mean the bolt size or spanner size but here goes! The exhaust and carburettor bolts are 5/16th in diameter(1/4 whit spanner) and the cylinder head studs are 7/16th diameter which will require a 3/8th whit socket to remove the nuts. All threads are whitworth on a D type, apart from certain carburettor fixings.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 Empty off with her head

Post by Biggsy Sun Jul 15 2012, 10:05

got lumpys head of today, was suprised how easy it came apart, rockers slid out easy and head came off no problems....just a bit clean and valve seat to do now...
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 D003b18f
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 4428a45d
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 2e1953e9
water hopper in main block was full of sludge....piston and cylinder looks good
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

http://damned2hell.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 12:29

It should make a big difference once you clean off years of carbon build up and sort the valves out.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Fri Aug 03 2012, 18:43

ok... been busy, took some bits to the sand blasters, had the head, hopper cover, rocker cover, crank handle and the two long support bars all done, came back like new, so now there all painted up with 2 coats of engine enamel, in the process of reseating the valves, bought a new spring for the govenor adjustment thingy and a replacement wing nut for the oil filler cover, polished wing nut and greaser twister brass looks good shiney, do we fill the cap with grease and twist it before each start?
petrol tank had some holes in bottom so had these repaired, tank now painted and brass cap polished.......mmm need brass tank straps.

ok now the tricky bit......anyone know how to get the flywheel off?, want to get that blasted and i want to remove the magneto, is it ok to mark all the cogs etc so it goes back the same or is it easy to set up?
chain is a little loose so magneto will need some shims,

thanks for help so far....getting to enjoy this,

cheers paul cheers
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Wed Aug 15 2012, 21:28

engine stripped...flywheel still stuck on crank lol, emptied hopper of muck and even found some bone in there Shocked
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 24FF9B4A-C1D5-46FA-9C91-302B8C29C157-3368-0000059DA1A6D57D
next stop......blasters
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 2E978C03-D698-450C-8030-2ED59DB1F999-3368-0000059DBA6CDC72
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 B01296BF-6930-452C-A44B-6E76CFADE3B5-3368-0000059DAF04AC22
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 11:47

It's surprising how much crap you get out of these old engines and also some interesting finds, you have to remember when they needed water out in the field it came out of the pond or stream and carried in what ever they could find.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Fri Aug 24 2012, 07:14

picked up engine block, wheels and trolley handles from blasters...
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 130C3555-4E4E-4FD4-BB11-0512908171E3-6572-00000AF6DB38C7F1
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 B34895F4-2BC4-4D62-9D92-48C90FE2B6B5-6572-00000AF6E496036C
some painting to do now, need to flush the inside then hopefully start to rebuild. Very Happy
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 11:47

Nice clean block now, they've made a good job of the block so not long before you add some paint Very Happy it's good when that happens gives you new life into getting it finished well it does to me Laughing Laughing Laughing .

Stu

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Wed Aug 29 2012, 22:35

ok...trolley is restored, needed it so i can rebuild engine, i'm happy with finish, the timber was well oil soaked so just cleaned them , grain in timber looks nice and it keeps some character, want to do something with handles? maybe some leather any ideas?, the uprights for the shearing gear will be added soon,

cheers
paul
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 85118E19-FDD5-413F-9ECE-4248FA2C423A-9008-00000E83477477C4
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 A39F3D16-0831-4B01-915B-EE2CC9DA13C1-9008-00000E833A111291
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Thu Aug 30 2012, 00:05

Looking good
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30 2012, 11:24

Paul you might want to add some strength to the top of the handles. On the pic below all that's used it threaded bar inside some tube and it helps keep the handles ridged and not twist when moving the engine about on a field.

My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 Handles

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Thu Aug 30 2012, 20:07

thanks for the tip......where do you think i'm gonna push this thing when its finished Smile

Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 11:27

You can get rallies a few rough fields, well we do up North Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Sun Sep 02 2012, 08:17

polishing up flywheel by hand at mo, has some pitting from rust but think it will look ok, gasket dressing, head gasket, spark plug and exhaust should be here monday .....close to putting lumpy back together again....found the spark mark on fly wheel, will need some tips on timing her as i refit magneto and chain... want to time her so she sits there with a nice chug.

cheers

paul
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 12:02

Paul the easiest way I find to clean the flywheel is with the engine running and using emery cloth on it, so once you've found your timing marks just leave the rest till later.
There should be plenty of members that can help you time it up once your ready to do so.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Sun Sep 02 2012, 15:09

flywheel spins easy with no piston or timing gear fitted so a sanded it ok....found the engine serial No on flywheel and the spark mark, also just back from spark mark (anticlockwise from it) i see TDC mark.

book says points should just open as spark mark reaches TDC, i'm guessing this would be on compression stroke.

ooooohh this is fun Very Happy
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03 2012, 10:37

Sounds as if your enjoying yourself, that's what it's all about.

Keep up the good work,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:03

well i decided everyone has a green lister so i thought black would be cool with the shiney brass bits and i like the results so far...
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 717AB8E2-9771-4A86-B037-6C587888B8A2-454-0000003F54BB7537
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 5ED8AA97-2294-4027-B9E2-94234F0B4899-454-0000003F4BC78EF7

need to give transfers a coat of clear laquer to protect them a bit, then its time to put things back together again, pics here show block with flywheel fitted but no timing gear or piston and head plonked on for weight while i cleaned up flywheel,

cheers
paul
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:57

WOW! A black Lister D!

I really like it, I think it looks smart, especially as you've gone to the trouble of having it blasted, therefore doing a thorough job on the prep. Black's a tricky colour to pull off, especially with a high gloss finish, it requires good preparation.

I've seen a pink & purple one before (although, thinking about it, I'm not so sure if that's a D or something similar scratch ) but black looks good, I reckon. (we really need a "Thumbs-Up" smiley, that's what I would put right here Wink )

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05 2012, 11:41

I have to agree it looks spot on, I've seen D's in a few colours but I must say it does look very good painted black and you've got a real good finish to it. This months header pic (top of page) looks good with the black and grey, the D should look well as you can get a few brass parts (tank straps etc) so it should look the dogs bo77ox when all put back together and everything polished up. You will get a few that says it doesn't look right or it shouldn't be that colour well just ignore them, it's your engine to paint what ever you want.
Looking forward to seeing it all finished,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Wed Sep 05 2012, 21:04

thanks, gonna have to rally ....love peeps looking at hard graft efforts....
have just put clear lacquer coat on engine hope it gives some protection and make black look a bit deeper.
target....1 get her rebuilt, 2 get her running again, 3, a lister d as header pic Rolling Eyes

mmmm worried, growing a strong bond to my engine.... affraid
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Wed Sep 05 2012, 21:35

Looking good mate glad to see someone eles has gone across to the dark side here's mine lol and the second picture is of the whole set up
what colour are you going to do the shearing side of things

My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 P2060010
My lister D Sheep Shear Rig First Resto.... - Page 2 P5020010

Biggsy wrote:thanks, gonna have to rally ....love peeps looking at hard graft efforts....
have just put clear lacquer coat on engine hope it gives some protection and make black look a bit deeper.
target....1 get her rebuilt, 2 get her running again, 3, a lister d as header pic Rolling Eyes

mmmm worried, growing a strong bond to my engine.... affraid

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Wed Sep 05 2012, 21:44

i have painted the 2 support rods black, the origional timbers for the shearers were red, i'm guessing as a warning to keep away from belts, so i'll keep the red.
as for the top shearing gear, they look green but will probably get the vader treatment....

the clippers are chrome but i'll see how they come up,

the shearing end will start once i have lumpy running, i'm going to have to find some drive inners for my shearers. going to be fun
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 10:46

The coloured HT lead sets it off a bit more there's plenty of colours to choose from if you decide to go that way, personally I would with the black engine.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/plug-leads-conectors-ht-lead/ht-plug-cables.html?p=1

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next