www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Seems a daft question but---

5 posters

Go down

Seems a daft question but--- Empty Seems a daft question but---

Post by mantaboy Wed May 09 2012, 20:29

I have almost finished putting my engine back together, a bamford 4hp open crank, and have noticed that the cranking handle can be used either way with a reversible tooth in it, question is which way should the engine be cranked, Embarassed i thought i could work it out by the valve timing but the exhaust valve is operated by a long rod from a cam by the magneto box but the inlet works off cylinder suction (don't know what the technical term is), my other question is when i spin the engine either way i can't get a spark but if i disconnect the lever assembly to the mag and work it manually i only get a spark if i work it with a quick flick action, it's as tho the engine can't flick it fast enough, has any one had this fault? i'm thinking maybe a mag rebuild?

mantaboy
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Seems a daft question but--- Empty Re: Seems a daft question but---

Post by seniorengineers Wed May 09 2012, 22:07

hi, with regards to the reversable handle, it will fit other engines, and some are anti clockwise rotation, hence the reversable key. As for your engine, i am almost certain it is of a clockwise rotation, but don't quote me on that! it maybe a mag problem, all i can say is get it checked out, or maybe other guys on here will know better than me. cheers david.

seniorengineers
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Wed May 09 2012, 22:20

What type of magneto do you have on your engine?

The inlet valve is called a atmospheric valve as it made to operate by the engine pressure.......vaccuum to open compression to close.......
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Wed May 09 2012, 22:26

seems like this is on the way to be sorted out,thanks for all the help fellers...
mike...

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Wed May 09 2012, 22:29

If you are getting a spark when you work the mag by hand and I am assuming it is a Wico EK mag...at this point.

Sounds like the issue is with the the tripping mechanism. These can take a little time to get set up at first especially after a strip or rebuild.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Wed May 09 2012, 22:31

Hi, and welcome, nothing is a daft question, thats what were all here for, i would say clockwise rotation, as for the mag how fast are you having to flick it, is the arm on the engine flicking it far enough,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mantaboy Thu May 10 2012, 07:55

Thanks for the info guys, i will have a go at setting the tripping mechanism at the weekend. "atmospheric valve", thanks. I will find out the make of the magneto and get back to you, cheers

mantaboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down