www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Coborn C3 rebuild (from a somewhat less-than standing start)

+5
blue cat
maryalice
Ambermile
StuartTurnerSteve
Woodsman
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Empty Coborn C3 rebuild (from a somewhat less-than standing start)

Post by Ambermile Mon Aug 17 2020, 18:46

A few weeks ago I was offered an engine free - come and get it but bring a trolley they said. Whoopee I thought, having always wanted one, now's my chance...

Yup. So I got to the engine - a Coborn C3 - and the pain started... it was at the back of a house with a 4 inch deep gravel bed all around. I had a sack barrow with 4 inch wheels. I can safely say that I have not worked so bloody hard in years getting that bloody great lump of rust into the back of the Insignia. Puffing, panting, sweating and swearing, I set off home - slowly so as not to roll the lump in the boot...

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Screen11

Managing to somehow get it back out of the car and down the drive, the fun really started once I began to see just what I had. No magneto. No exhaust. Incomplete cowling. No fuel tank. No movement at the crank.  Luckily, it had been a freebie - I could comfortably spend pennies secure in the knowledge that this would be a nice finished engine.

Hmm. So, strip the lot, begine the rust removal regime - electrolysis :o

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2014

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2012

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2013

That was bit of a learning curve but went quite well all things being equal.

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2015

On to the carb - remove, strip, clean, rebuild...

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2016

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2017

Slowly but surely, things getting brought to gether. More soon - magneto sourced, cowling sourced, exhaust sourced, a tank (of sorts) incoming. Bought some paint!

Last edited by Ambermile on Mon Aug 17 2020, 19:06; edited 1 time in total

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Empty Re: Coborn C3 rebuild (from a somewhat less-than standing start)

Post by Ambermile Mon Aug 17 2020, 19:01

Magneto arrives - at which point I realise there's a bit missing... no probs, knock one up from a bit of oak and varnish to seal.

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Cush10

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2018

Sorted. After beating the cowling back into shape with a big hammer and some swearing, that's painted and set aside.

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2019

Degrease and pressure wash what's left of the beastie and paint with shiny black engine paint...

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2020

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2022

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2021

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2028

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2027

Refit carb, manifold and exhaust baffle...

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11789110

Moving on - still no dual fuel tank and after first fit of cowling it becomes clear the tank I have is too big. Bit of a hurdle sadly.

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11780111

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11789111

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11805111

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11815710

Currently, that's about it - no tank so no test run Sad

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Empty Re: Coborn C3 rebuild (from a somewhat less-than standing start)

Post by Woodsman Tue Aug 18 2020, 09:06

Nice work. I think I would be giving it a spin regardless of missing tank!

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambermile Tue Aug 25 2020, 20:06

Tank finally found and on the way, I think the magneto is sorted, and I am now making a trolley - whilst inbetween times messing with the little JAP...

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11847010

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11854210

The smaller trolley frame will be for the JAP:

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2029

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Thu Aug 27 2020, 21:31

Looks good, I'm taking notes.... wood hates me.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Thu Aug 27 2020, 21:38

I dont have a problem with wood, its just a bugger to weld Very Happy Very Happy

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Thu Aug 27 2020, 21:42

I can't even do that, well not done it since college...

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambermile Thu Aug 27 2020, 21:45

So far so good for me on this - fingers crossed though eh? Cool

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambermile Sun Aug 30 2020, 17:01

Anyway - onwards and upwards... Dual fuel tanks. Like hen's teeth but managed to source one which arrived during the week. Long story short - had to remove one of the outlets as pipes were seized solid.

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11859610

Refitted, then time to fit shiny new piping from the petrol side straight to the two way tap and from paraffin side via a curly heat-exchange.

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11865510

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11865310

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11854410

Should be OK, the paraffin side has a bit of an uphill journey but priming should sort that. Not sure if I will use paraffin but wanted the option...

Oh and the JAP is now fitted properly to it's wheeled trolly... Cool

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2031

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambermile Tue Sep 01 2020, 15:53

Getting close to the time of reckoning... I need to get the trolley sorted (fit wheels so need an axle) to bolt the beastie down, at which point I can try and fire it up. Will still be a few days I think as that axle may take me a while. Meanwhile - mostly finished bar the washers on the paraffin pipe out of the tank.

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11864511

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11862911

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11840510

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11869810

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Tue Sep 01 2020, 21:11

Looks good.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambermile Fri Sep 04 2020, 14:14

Bit more work on the trolley - cross-pieces measured 3 times and fitted Rolling Eyes

Still sorting axle ...

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2032

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Sep 04 2020, 16:12

A nice job, I dont like working with wood as it tends to catch fire when trying to weld it.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Sep 04 2020, 18:30

[quote="maryalice"]A nice job, I dont like working with wood as it tends to catch fire when trying to weld it.

Maryalice[/quote]

You t1t!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambermile Tue Sep 15 2020, 13:22

Mounted... Still got mag issues though.

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) Img_2033

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11911510

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11913110

Coborn C3 rebuild  (from a somewhat less-than standing start) 11913810

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sat Sep 19 2020, 13:41

Not sure why you've tried to make this a petrol/paraffin engine. The tank supports are clearly not high enoough for the paraffin to run around the vaporising arrangement. Nice restoration, otherwise.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambermile Sat Sep 19 2020, 14:02

It is a petrol paraffin engine, which is why I have done it as so. It is not the correct tank for the job but duel tanks are like rocking horse pooh... and once primed the paraffin will flow (note the fuel pipe arrangement is totally my idea of preheat, not original (neither is the exhaust). Also the tap is not where it would usually be placed. But I doubt it will be used much on paraffin anyway.

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Sep 19 2020, 18:47

[quote="blue cat"]Not sure why you've tried to make this a petrol/paraffin engine. The tank supports are clearly not high enoough for the paraffin to run around the vaporising arrangement. Nice restoration, otherwise.[/quote]

Agree, there is a proper paraffin Coborn on ebay at the moment and the tank bracket is very different to that one....
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambermile Sat Sep 19 2020, 18:59

Well, thanks for your input. This coborn arrived as a pile of rust. Whether or not it's the right bracket/tank/pipe/tap/whatever arrangement is inconsequential. The idea was to get the engine running and useful, not factory perfect. In which world of working engines do you think the original users would give a damn about the wrong bracket or the wrong angle on the pipe? If it works, it's on for good. That's the mantra I will follow regardless. Better than scrapping the engine and also a bit more realistic.

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Sep 19 2020, 19:34

May I suggest you get off your high horse, we are here to help each other and unless you tell us you are doing your own thing then the forum will politely point you in the right direction otherwise we would have stayed quiet, sadly with your attitude it only does one thing we will all shut up and you will find yourself alone.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambermile Sat Sep 19 2020, 20:20

I think you misunderstand my post - I was simply just explaining my reasoning and rationale for the rebuild is all. Fair enough though, I can just fade away, no problem. Later. Rolling Eyes

Ambermile
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sat Sep 19 2020, 20:31

Keep calm boys, it was only an observation on my part.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sun Sep 20 2020, 09:52

Ditto - calm down lads.
We are here for the fun of building engines - at least I am.
Sparkly bling, oil rag, mongrel - who cares so long as it runs. Do your own thing.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Sun Sep 20 2020, 11:38

Indeed, I've made decisions that others have criticised... many of which I've had to put right later down the line....

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Sun Sep 20 2020, 11:55

StuartTurnerSteve wrote:Indeed, I've made decisions that others have criticised... many of which I've had to put right later down the line....  

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next