www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Timing chain - 1 shim too loose 2 shims too tight!

2 posters

Go down

Timing chain - 1 shim too loose 2 shims too tight! Empty Timing chain - 1 shim too loose 2 shims too tight!

Post by ajcooper4 Sun Aug 09 2020, 16:02

The topic title says it all really.  I felt the timing chain to be too loose so removed the magneto and added an additional shim - there was one there already.  Having added the second shim to chain is definitely too tight - can barely join the chain again.

Leave it at one?  I'm not sure how loose/tight it should be.

It's a Lister D and the RS1 magneto.

Thank you.

ajcooper4
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Timing chain - 1 shim too loose 2 shims too tight! Empty Re: Timing chain - 1 shim too loose 2 shims too tight!

Post by Foden Sun Aug 09 2020, 19:24

I like to be able to have around an inch of total movement in the centre of the chain run, also make sure the sprockets are dead in line with each other as even a slight variation will affect the tension. However if the chain is worn then getting the 'right' tension will be almost impossible.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down