www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister Junior - re-packing fuel pump

4 posters

Go down

Lister Junior - re-packing fuel pump  Empty Lister Junior - re-packing fuel pump

Post by pstruck Mon Oct 14 2019, 11:09

I'm sure there will be a few of these posts from me as I get stuck into my first stationary engine refurb/rebuild!

I have removed the fuel pump from my Lister B16 and it is lacking any form of seal around the plunger. The plunger, spring and cap are all present, but I believe there should be some form of gland packing in there too.

Can anyone provide me with some guidance on what I need and how it is done? I have seen reference to graphite rope, but with there being none in there when I dismantled it and not having an exploded view diagram of the pump I am unsure of where it should go precisely. I'm guessing wrapped around the plunger to sit against the shoulder in the upper most larger diameter section of the body, presumably below the spring. What size (diameter and length) packing might I need?

pstruck
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister Junior - re-packing fuel pump  Empty Re: Lister Junior - re-packing fuel pump

Post by pstruck Thu Nov 07 2019, 19:36

Anyone got any advice?

pstruck
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister Junior - re-packing fuel pump  Empty Re: Lister Junior - re-packing fuel pump

Post by maryalice Thu Nov 07 2019, 22:28

Just picked up your post, will reply tomorrow.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Fri Nov 08 2019, 08:56

Not sure, but I believe the original packing was asbestos.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Nov 09 2019, 09:00

pstruck,

The reason there is nothing around the pump shaft is because its inside the bore of the pump, you will have to search seal/O ring companies but you will find a lip seal will work as will an O ring, square section would be better than round.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Sun Nov 10 2019, 21:42

I used a small peice of string in my A type, I have heard O-rings can be used also.

Chris

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by pstruck Sun Nov 10 2019, 22:06

Thanks all. I will see what I can find to fit. I had a bit of a play this afternoon with a couple of tap washers which fit quite snug once cut down a little. It was good enough to get it pumping at least.

pstruck
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down