www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

I fired up my Lister D last night

2 posters

Go down

I fired up my Lister D last night  Empty I fired up my Lister D last night

Post by Simonj Tue Jun 03 2014, 09:15

As the title suggest I fired up my Lister D last night for the first time since its rebuild. It’s a 1941 D type, 700 RPM and yes 1 ½ hp. Nothing unusual but it’s my first stationary engine rebuild.
I bought the engine in bits from a gentleman called Paul who because of ill health couldn’t continue with his rebuild.
The engine required another crank pin and fly wheel as the guy before Paul had tried to remove the fly wheel with a hacksaw!!!! After removing the main bearing assembly from the block I removed the fly wheel to get at the bearings for the other crank pin. The back crank pin bearing was replaced as it was found to be worn.
I check the bore and rings and these where found to be fine, the piston is an oversized one (0.030”) which indicates that the engine at some time had be restored/rebored. The rest of the rebuild was very straight forward, just requiring checking, cleaning and painting and a few missing pieces sourcing.
I managed to get a few hours last night to fit the last few pieces together and realised that I was in a position to start it, so on went the exhaust (still needs a clean and paint) in went the Oil, Water and Fuel and she ran first time. Even the wife came outside to look at it running lol.
The last few things to do on the engine are paint the exhaust, decals, paint the top of the carb, knock up a gasket for the cam cover and probably a few other things.
Here are a few links to view the engine.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ye5lq84s24xavns/AAAHd2EetJIODeoOXcecf2PWa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/tlp9qdrpll6u99e/AABuigrAv0OLseyhsHOzWETGa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ivfkr81a3pdrfwh/AADCpMOcWnecFsiHai6QIiUpa

Regards

Simon

Simonj
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

I fired up my Lister D last night  Empty Re: I fired up my Lister D last night

Post by StewartH Tue Jun 03 2014, 11:22

Hello Simon, It must of been a lovely sight/sound/feeling to have the first run - congratulations Squire on a job well done.

Nice looking trolley too!

enjoy the summer with your new toy - perhaps you need a toy to run off it now!

Best

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Simonj Tue Jun 03 2014, 12:38

Thanks Hamish
Yes it is always a great feeling when you fire up an engine for the first time after a rebuild, Over the years I have done quite a few motorbike engines with myself and my son (and his mates) blowing engines up etc lol.
I do have a Lister domestic pump to connect up to the Lister, but undecided on weather to restore it or leave it as it is. I think leaving it original may be the way to go with the pump.

Simon

Simonj
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down