www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston 6PS

+4
Stamford24
StewartH
kevjhnsn
matt86
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ruston 6PS - Page 2 Empty Re: Ruston 6PS

Post by Ibonaol Tue Jul 23 2013, 19:07

Nearly costing me a divorce the amount of time put into it but pretty happy with results
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by seniorengineers Wed Jul 24 2013, 07:38

Ibonaol wrote:Nearly costing me a divorce the amount of time put into it but pretty happy with results

Oh dear, must keep her in doors happy, looks like a holiday on the cards now, or some other jesture of good will . Nice setup you got there. Will hope to see you at one of the local shows soon. cheers  david.

seniorengineers
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Jul 24 2013, 09:01

Looks smart on my old trolley, passed a few hands in the last few months that has !

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Wed Jul 24 2013, 19:38

Its a Nice trolley Matt. I recently bought it from David (seniorengineer) I have made my own trolleys but this saved me the job and therefore some time. Ideal for what I want just may change wheels at some time for some cast ones.
Ian
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Wed Jul 24 2013, 21:54

Why change the wheels. Its an Industrial type engine and those are industrial type wheels. Unless it bounces too much, I think they look fine.

Stamford24
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Sat Jul 27 2013, 12:59

Live update from rally field few minor teething issues otherwise all good. Governor not quite operating as it should I think spring on the arm may be a bit strong and bit of play in linkage also got a small leak on timing gear and governor casing cover so need to make new gasket.
Happy days

Ruston 6PS - Page 2 Null_zps78346790
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Jul 27 2013, 16:11

Looks great!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Mon Aug 05 2013, 22:15

Not happy, had a bit of a disaster at west somerset steam fair this weekend. Engine ran great all Saturday and most of Sunday before it suddenly stopped. Giving it the once over before restarting the governor linkage seemed restricted and as I slowly turned fly wheel could hear a slight ticking in drive gear housing so left idle for remainder of the day for investigation. Tonight I have stripped it back and the gear that drives the shaft with governor weights on oposite end has sheared off. Now have two options 1 try and find replacement governor mechanism which I am guessing isn't gonna happen or need to get someone to remove rotating shaft from govenor mechanism to machine a copy and then replace it. Luckily casting that the shaft runs though hasn't been damaged and drive gear can be re-used. I have been given a name of someone locally ( somerset) but if anyone knows of any ruston 6PS spares or could recommend a machinist in the area it would be appreciated. Need to try and get sorted before October. Big shame as i had loads of interest at rally so hopefully I can get it rectified.
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Wed Aug 14 2013, 22:27

Sorry to hear about the 6PS's problems. I hope you can get it repaired. We would still like to see it at Twyford, even if you cant get it fixed in time. Just so long as its in one'ish piece. The public will be just as interested to see inside and how you are going to get over the problem.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Wed Aug 14 2013, 22:55

Mark I have removed it and a local steam enthusiast is going to hopefully machine me a new piece. Have asked him if he can try and get it done ASAP so I can refit and get running for the 6th. I have emailed Twyford but had no reply as yet.

Ian
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Thu Aug 15 2013, 15:26

Don't worry, sometimes Matt is a little busy, work, family and the Waterworks! Give him a nudge in a weeks time if you haven't heard back by then.

Mark

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Tue Sep 03 2013, 07:38

Great news new machined shaft has been done so now to rebuild and prepare ready for twyfords hopefully all will be good. That's next couple of nights taken care of.
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Sep 03 2013, 11:30

Ibonaol wrote:Great news new machined shaft has been done so now to rebuild and prepare ready for twyfords hopefully all will be good. That's next couple of nights taken care of.
i believe that there is a some kind of gathering for all ruston ps's at twyford ? a chap i knows 2ps will be going .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Tue Sep 03 2013, 13:33

Yes Matt its on October 6th.
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Tue Sep 03 2013, 21:20

...and we could do with more! Anyone got any sleepers out there, 2 or 6PS's Dead or Alive we want to see them! Smile 

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Sep 03 2013, 21:22

Stamford24 wrote:...and we could do with more! Anyone got any sleepers out there, 2 or 6PS's Dead or Alive we want to see them! Smile 
a 2ps is one on my wish list ... sadly not many about .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Tue Sep 03 2013, 21:28

Good news all back in one piece and started first turn. Only ran it for a minute just to check all ok but ran ok so I will be coming down mark. Had forms through now so will see you on the 6th

Ian
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2