www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers Engine model

4 posters

Go down

Villiers Engine model Empty Villiers Engine model

Post by railwayman500 Thu May 09 2013, 13:00

I am trying to find out the model number of a 75cc Villiers engine that was fitted to 17 Inch Atco lawnmowers in the early 1960,s.
All I can find is that the range was called the Villiers lightweight engine and was all aluminium.
The range started with 50cc and went up to 125cc.

railwayman500
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Villiers Engine model Empty Re: Villiers Engine model

Post by Foden Thu May 09 2013, 13:25

In most listings they are just known as the LIGHTWEIGHT so I guess that no model code was issued to them? Even in George Sheards site they have no coding. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by a55ii Sun Apr 05 2015, 22:47

Hi, I have a 1965 JP Simplees 16 in fitted with a Villiers engine. My engine is a D-07
This is a 75 cc. There was also a D-15 and D-16 both of which are 150 cc the D- 07 and D-15 are horizontal shaft and the D-16 a vertical shaft.
These engines were supplied as Industrial Engines also known as type 505H,507H and 5027H-2
though I'm still researching further information to restore my engine.
Al.

a55ii

Back to top Go down

Post by railwayman500 Mon Apr 06 2015, 07:40

Thanks Al, since posting the query I have got more info. Incidently I've just picked up an old Ransomes Sixteen mower with a DO7 Norton Villiers fitted but can't find any way of dating the machine from the number. Any suggestions? I thought late 1960's.
Best Wishes, Keith

railwayman500
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by a55ii Mon Apr 06 2015, 20:57

Keith , thanks for your reply. I have the operating instructions that I was given when I purchased my mower and the publication is dated March 1968, bit confusing as the Industrial Engine Replacement parts list publication is dated September 1966. I was also told my mower was purchased new in 1965 I'm also a bit in a quandary. Mine is almost ready to run except the threads on the carb and exhaust have stripped and no longer hold tight. I'm currently awaiting a thread gauge to arrive so I can purchase the correct size helicoil kits.
I know the centre bolt is 3/8 but no idea of thread or pitch and the two outer bolts need measuring. Seems a poor design to mount both the carb and exhaust on just 3 bolts and no support bracket.
regards
Alan.

a55ii

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Tue Apr 07 2015, 09:06

Hi Alan,

Three bolts - luxury!
Our Petter A1 has a cast iron combined manifold holding exhaust and carburetter attached by a single three inch long stud and bolt.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by railwayman500 Tue Apr 07 2015, 13:35

Thanks Alan, I thought it might be about 1968 vintage but being an oldee I seemed to recollect my employers purchasing a similar machine at that time, however, it's only a distant memory and not based on anything solid. Pity there dosen't seem to be any records that I've been able to turn up but I suppose no one thought at the time that such things would be required 50 + years on, they were working tools to be forgotten when worn out, however 60's engineering and manufacture has obviously stood the test of time,unlike todays plastics I suspect. Thanks for the reply, Keith

railwayman500
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by railwayman500 Tue Apr 07 2015, 13:42

Sorry Pete, in my not replying to thank you but I never got notified and haven't been active on this site since that time so didn't know anyone had responded til I got notified of Alans post. Anyway, I gleaned some info from other sources and have renovated three more atcos since that time. I'm about to sell the 17" which runs really well and the engine has little wear. I'm now keen on 60's Ransomes currently a Sixteen with the Norton Villiers DO7 engine. I'm keen to find out the History and trying to date the one I've got.
Anyway apologies once more for what may have seemed ignorance. Best Wishes, Keith

railwayman500
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum