www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston Hornsby 6PB

+6
nutgone
blackvanman
kevjhnsn
Smitty
matt86
Foden
10 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruston Hornsby 6PB

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 11:39

Some people just don't know how to have fun. Laughing Laughing Laughing I take it by more neighbours that the big lawns are being built on. You'll just have to do the same, sell the land then move somewhere else Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Tue Apr 30 2013, 19:13

stationary stu wrote:Some people just don't know how to have fun. Laughing Laughing Laughing I take it by more neighbours that the big lawns are being built on. You'll just have to do the same, sell the land then move somewhere else Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

In the long run that's probably exactly what will happen. Trouble is we fell right between 2 developments and the Bastards that were built one side first have managed to get a covenant put on our land! Yet when these properties were built, because they were more than 10 meters from our property, we had NO say! F***King W***ker Councillors!!!

Stamford24
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Apr 30 2013, 21:08

Right, I've got a bit more done today. I gave it all a really good rub down & applied another top coat. Most of it I am now happy with, but a few bits (like the petrol tank) will need more attention.

I decided it was time to get the small bits on, so on went the carb, I loosely put the flywheel back on so I could time up the mag & then on went the mag, so I could finally fill the right angle drive gearbox up with special gearbox grease & slap the lid back on. I took a few pics, as you'd expect....

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 2013-04-30181812_zps7522c46d

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 2013-04-30181825_zps26b5135c

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 2013-04-30181915_zps0d767d02

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 2013-04-30182304_zpsb8d105cd

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 2013-04-30181949_zps485edfaf

Here's my attempt at a close-up on the tank (the sun was shining through the window, which doesn't help my photography at all)....

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 2013-04-30182743_zpsbfd6bfa8

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 2013-04-30182728_zps20b19fe3

I had a little go at lifting it, but it's far too heavy, even with the flywheel off. As I only applied the last coat today I will give it a couple more days to go off, then when Ian comes round on Thursday he can give me a hand to get it off the bench. I will lift it straight onto the trolley that the Lister is currently on (the Lister is now just an empty crank case, so I can lift that off easily). Once it's on the trolley I can give the paintwork the final rub down, finish off the top coats, put the flywheel back on, finish off the twiddly bits & see if she'll fire up (probably this time next week for the fire-up, maybe sooner, but I want the paint to harden off properly, especially around the exhaust port area).

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Tue Apr 30 2013, 21:12

Dude!!!! You missed a bit Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Apr 30 2013, 22:00

blackvanman wrote:Dude!!!! You missed a bit Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I've missed several bits!

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Tue Apr 30 2013, 22:27

nutgone wrote:

I don't miss, I get it everywhere!!!!! lol
looking good on a serious note, I hate the brush stroke problem, I feel the frustration, next resto I'm buy spray paint Very Happy

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Tue Apr 30 2013, 22:52

blackvanman wrote:
nutgone wrote:

I don't miss, I get it everywhere!!!!! lol
looking good on a serious note, I hate the brush stroke problem, I feel the frustration, next resto I'm buy spray paint Very Happy

..and have all the fun of masking up, runs and overspray Laughing

Either way its hassle.

Looking good Nutts. You will be glad to see the back of it I expect.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Apr 30 2013, 23:20

I will be glad to see it running, put it that way. & I am expecting it to just fire up first time & run like a Swiss watch. Very Happy

As for the painting, I think most of my troubles stem from the primer coats, but I am beginning to wonder about my brush, it's a Harris, one of their "No Loss" range (guaranteed no bristle drop). I can't remember if I used it on the Kohler or not, I know it's reasonably new.

I will put any more paint on with my slightly older Wickes brush. I do have some really cheap brushes, but these days I prefer to pay a little more & get something a bit better. As I only ever use 1/2" brushes I can afford to spend a little more. I do have a rather nice 1" brush for any big areas, but I find anything bigger is pretty useless for stationary engine work, even the 1" one hardly ever makes it out of jar number 3 (I number my jars for cleaning, number 3 has the clean white spirit in & is where my most popular brushes live. I don't agree when people say not to store them in thinners, you shouldn't store them in dirty thinners, but clean white spirit, changed on a regular basis is perfectly fine for brushes, especially if they are used fairly regularly).

I find after a while, the cheap 1/2" brushes are more like artists brushes when compared to an expensive 1/2" brush. In fact my expensive 1/2" brushes are bigger & bushier than my cheapo 1" brushes! I went into my local paint shops today. My favourite one is where I order the gloss, the other one sells the decent red oxide primer straight off the shelf. But I noticed they had Purdy brushes in my favourite place. I've got to go back in there to pick up my Mid-Brunswick Green for the Lister, so might treat myself to a 1/2" Purdy brush then.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 12:24

For 1 decent brush you'll pay about £50 ok if your a professional that needs a great finish all the time but there's plenty of cheaper brushes about that's a lot cheaper. Thing is when spending more on a brush it's normally upgraded from a plastic handle to a wood one where as I'd rather pay for better bristles in the brush. Have you a very small paint roller? I've heard that if you brush paint first then go over it with a roller just slow that will get rid of the brush strokes.
I've just had a look round and there's no expensive brushes about now, the majority of trade brushes are throw away, this is the world we live in now, years ago you could have the same paint brush for years as long as you looked after it. I do find a good varnishing brush you can get a good finish with, well used to be able to, it looks as if I'm out of date now with paint brushes etc. I did get some strange looks when I went into a paint suppliers and ask for cellulous paint. Rolling Eyes old skool more loike old age. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 01 2013, 13:44

My idea of an expensive 1/2" brush (don't forget that Stu, we're only talking small brushes here, not the big ones the trade use) is about £10 maximum. A good 1/2" brush is quite difficult to find though, as these days they are mostly cheap throw-away ones (as Stu says).

I will see though, I am determined to find one. In fact I think my Wickes one was pretty good, that was around £5 or £6. But the bristles seemed to go a bit split-ended after a while.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Wed May 01 2013, 18:50

I've never had any luck with those 'no loss' brushes. The bristles seem too coarse and leave marks. A nice traditional brush seems best to me. So what if a few bristles come out, you can soon pick em off the paint and go over that area again quick.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03 2013, 12:52

Thing is with an expensive brush you have to look after them, put vasaline on the bristles when not in use and a small elastic band (not to tight) around the bristle to help them keep there shape.
Nuts from what your saying about the Wicks brush I think I'd stick with them as they sound to be doing a reasonable job and most stuff sold by Wicks is to professionals not like B&Q that sell mainly cr4p. The idea about throw away paint brushes are a good idea but I can't bring myself to throw it away so I keep them. I still clean them off ready to use again Laughing Laughing Laughing thing is there pretty cr4p to use again. Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri May 03 2013, 13:54

Well I bought a couple more brushes yesterday. It seems 1/2" brushes are quite hard to come by, & their 1/2" brush seemed about half the size of my 2 best ones (I suppose the measurement is only in one direction, my better ones are probably twice as fat as the cheapo ones).

Their only "good" small brush was a Hamilton 3/4" window brush, which has the bristles cut at a slight angle, so I bought one of those & have trimmed the bristles. It's got a lovely handle though, very comfortable to use.

I still keep all my brushes in a clean jam jar with some clean white spirit in it. The ones which hardly get used, & don't fit in the jar, get cleaned properly (I have a 3 stage cleaning system) & a couple of drops of some sort of oil worked into the bristles (usually whatever's in my squirt can) to stop them drying out.

The window brush is OK, but needs wearing in a bit before I use it for a top coat. I will probably use it for priming the Lister, that should break it in. I don't agree with some who say to use them for dusting, cleaning, priming, generally smash them about then use them for top coats, I reckon a brush would be ruined after all that lot.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri May 03 2013, 23:13

I finally managed to get this off the bench this evening, my dad gave me a lift with it. The only trouble was we decided to do it after he put his motorbike back in, & the trolley I had placed there, below the bench, won't fit past the bike. So it's stuck there for the time being. I guess tomorrow we can wheel the bike out a bit & get past.

However, I have managed to get the flywheel back on & I placed the pulley on there. I haven't tightened the pulley on yet, as I would like to check the gib key after the first couple of runs, to make sure it's fully home. (obviously the pulley will come off before I start it :doh: )

I have also given it a final rub down for the final (I hope) top coat, which I will do tomorrow, if the weather is up to it....

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 2013-05-03205913_zpsff63b85c

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 3 2013-05-03210709_zpsafc42d9f

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04 2013, 13:43

The weather forecast is looking good for the weekend so you may get it painted and dryed off in the warm sunshine.
Nuts you do one of my pet hates by putting things on without them being tight, I know what your saying but I've seen accidents happen when something has been over looked, so for me I tighten things up even if there coming back off again just to be on the safe side.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat May 04 2013, 14:11

Well it's on there better than finger tight, I just haven't taken the long bar to it yet. So it's not about to fly off. I made sure of that today before I did this....

As you can see, the paint is just waiting for that final coat.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 11:50

cheers cheers cheers Well done you've got it up and running. Is there anything else to do with the engine? or is there just the painting to finish off.?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun May 05 2013, 19:34

Well I did have one or two more little jobs to do Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I had to adjust the throttle governor arm last night. It was a little out of shape & while I was running it yesterday the throttle spindle popped out of the fork at the end of the arm & jammed the throttle wide open! affraid

Good job I had a quick stop method all sorted before I even attempted to start it (I always do that, before I start any new engine I always think "How am I hoing to stop this thing if it runs away?") so I stopped it before it went out of control.

I was a bit p155ed off though, as it meant the magneto had to come off, so I lost the timing, but I also had to take the magneto drive gearbox off & the engine side cover plate off, which meant draining the oil & not forgetting all the newly applied paintwork & newly cut & sealed gaskets that had to be disturbed! Mad Good job it still has a final coat to go on.

Oh well, these things are sent to try us. I went out there after dinner last night, & had her running again by 9:15pm (nice to have one I can start up at that time of day Very Happy ).

She's all sorted (throttle/governor wise) now but she won't run on open choke, always insists on having about half choke. I have taken out the jet a couple of times & cleared it. It might be getting blocked as it's a cast iron carb & was rusty inside (there's only so much cleaning out you can do with those things, but I thought it was pretty clean). That jet is a PITA to get in & out though, especially with the carb still attached to the engine.

I've just got in from a rather nice day out & started her up again, all was fine but now I'm checking for oil leaks. There might be a little leakage on the main shaft on the flywheel side, but I can't tell completely yet, it's too soon to tell properly yet, she needs more running & wiping down. It's still stuck in front of the bench in the workshop as well, so not easy to get round & it gets pretty stuffy in there when she's been running a while (health & safety??? What's that?) Seriously though kids, don't run engines inside workshops Very Happy

So no major work to do now, just finish off the paint, apply the transfers, get her set up properly & hand her over. Then maybe I can take delivery of my new project. bounce

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rubythursday Sun May 05 2013, 20:13

You should not think of it as a choke, it's more of a mixture control. Mine runs best when the holes are about half covered, it won't run fully open.

1913 Hornsby L Type 8HP, 1926 Blackstone 5HP, 1927 Lister D 'Shafty', 1940 Stuart Turner P5LY generating set, 1944 Ruston Hornsby 6PB, 1945 Wolseley WD2, 1946 Norman SC, 1971 Rover 2000 auto, 1990 VW T4 camper, 2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5 Auto, 2005 Volvo S60 auto.
rubythursday
rubythursday
Expert
Expert

http://www.tonysimons.me.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun May 05 2013, 21:34

rubythursday wrote:You should not think of it as a choke, it's more of a mixture control. Mine runs best when the holes are about half covered, it won't run fully open.

I suppose that makes more sense really, I did wonder how many other engines like this (with fixed main jet) run best on half choke.

Also, it's got brand new rings, & won't run right until they are bedded in properly, which with a show engine could take a very long time. The plug is sooting up as well, but I guess it will with new rings.

It just smells a bit rich to me, & seems to be using quite a lot of fuel, although I can't be sure about that either. I know how much fuel was left in it last night, but it's spent a rather hot day locked up inside a hot workshop, so it could've evaporated quite a bit I suppose.

It really needs more running to be sure about anything much. But it starts & runs well, that's twice I have set the ignition timing up, & twice I got it spot on first time (I've had plenty of practise lately though, getting quite good with a fag paper these days Very Happy ). She doesn't kick back on starting (& I'm not one of these people who pushes the flywheel back to compression before turning the handle, personally I think there's more chance of a kick-back when doing so, I prefer to push it over compression with the handle & use that momentum to carry me on past the next compression strokes, but obviously it depends on the engine). If an engine is set up properly it shouldn't kick back anyway.

I'm just happy she's running, almost there now. cheers bounce

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Mon May 06 2013, 01:00

Great job Nut,

Maybe try a bit hotter sparker in there, that may get rid of the soot and allow it to run a little hotter too, which may be what it needs anyway as some of them like to run fairly hot.

I quite like the sound of it as well.
I enjoy my "new" IHC here at home for the same reason (much like yours,) and I sit with it running, having a beer or two.
Very relaxing at 600 rpm!

The neighbor kind of detoured/shimmy'd his way over while working out in the yard and and ended up chatting with me a while (and had a few beers with me) before he went home.
It's the first time in five years he has done that, the duration of having bought the house and living here.
Theraputic use anyone? A neighbor uniting tool?
Turns out he is not the grouch I thought he was after all! And he said it wouldn't bother him to hear it at all. Great!!!! Very Happy

I like the looks of your Ruston too, it's nice and compact.

Cheers on a good job, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 12:14

All sounding positive now Nuts, like you say the final tweek and she's done Very Happy oh and paint LOL.

Nuts once you get it up to running temp. you'll find out then if you have any oil leaks once the metal expands. My Bradford is fine if I just keep her warm but once shes hot there's a few oil leaks. Crying or Very sad

John I had a neighbour come visit me when I had an engine running strange how they attract people. :chin: Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue May 07 2013, 03:57

Well Stu,
I think there is something about that you know? We hadn't talked much for those five years and I start up an engine for a few hours, and Bingo! the neighbour is in there like a dirty shirt! Drooling all over it lol.
I'm all for sharing and I like company so in no time were having a few beers, talking about family, the neighbourhood and all sorts of things.
All that because of one engine Very Happy Awsome!

Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07 2013, 12:31

John it just goes to show how engines can make friends for you and I'm sure you have a few new friends on the forum now. So since buying an engine you made a few friends both near and far. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 08 2013, 18:10

I put the final top coat on last night & STILL there are brush marks in it! Embarassed Mad

I have finally found out what's doing it. It's the paint! Shocked

That's right, the paint! It seems a bit too thick, but the real problem is it's drying too fast, so it's not giving the brush strokes time to flow out, so I'm not sure weather thinning it down would make much difference.

I tried painting that Lister crank case door again with a 2nd top coat, I used the same brush as I used on the Ruston last night & there were very few, if any, brush marks on that.

The Lister paint is the same brand, but these paints are mixed at different companies, that's how it works these days, anyone can mix anyone's paint, all they need is the correct formula. But who ever mixed this stuff for Mark obviously didn't do it properly. Maybe this is an advert NOT to get Bradite paints mixed by Brewers (Matt86 take note). Anyway, I guess I should test first on a small area or scrap piece.

It's better than it was anyway, & I doubt I will be doing it again. It'll just have to do.

Just the transfers to put on & the raised lettering to pick out now, then she's done.

I will get some pics up soon.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next