www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section)

+4
villiersblp
braydh
hob
kevjhnsn
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty villiers no1 engine update

Post by villiersblp Mon Dec 03 2012, 16:07

Hi all

Well I have gone an done it..... put all the bits and bobs on my numer 1 engine together and on the frame.
Did it start and run???......YES>>> YES it did... lots of revs but under control. cheers cheers cheers
I have a bit of vidio I will post it if I can.
You may notice the red H/T lead is black in the vid. but I have put the red one back on and it still works.
One more problem... the RED stove enamel on the exhaust pipe, it could not stand up to the heat and blistered
and will need stripping and repainting. Sad Sad Can you get heat resistant paint in colours. I do have the matt black now.

The petrol tank supports allow the tank to vibrate and will need to be stiffend up a little.

All in all ,,, for the first run of my engine it seems to be good start.
Now to try and add the vidio Brian........... NO it did not work ,,, used the same information as I used to put up photos but no it did not work.
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty Re: Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section)

Post by hob Mon Dec 03 2012, 16:11

villiersblp wrote:

Now to try and add the video Brian........... NO it did not work ,,, used the same information as I used to put up photos but no it did not work.

video needs to be uploaded to youtube or i think photobucket do them now as well

argosy pump
Villiers mk 15
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty villiers on you tube

Post by villiersblp Mon Dec 03 2012, 16:33

I have put the vidio on you tube
Hope this works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsEhjJUxDSo&feature=youtu.be

Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty Re: Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section)

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04 2012, 12:02

Thanks for posting your video Brian, your engine looks spot on but maybe running a little too fast. Yet you'll be happy that it's all back together and running.

There's a few high temp paint that you could use but you'll not get a match on the red so you may have to go for black or a contrasting colour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Temp-Heat-Resistant-Stove-Fire-Paint-400ml-/150451376501?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&var=&hash=item230799d175

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty working on engines

Post by villiersblp Thu Dec 06 2012, 17:16

Hi all
for IANHW77K sorry I do not have a name for the colour my tank ect is painted.
I had them blasted and painted they put them in an oven for some time. I was given
some cards with all the colours to make your choice from.

But the paint must not be used on exhaust as it melts. I have taken it back to have it blasted
again and I will paint it with some new heat resistent paint I got.

Spent some time today cleaning and polishing no2 engine.. Used brasso and high speed drill to
grind the polish all the ally parts. Looks good

As my no1 engine the one with poor spark is now up and running should this post now come to an end
and start a new thread. ....by for now Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 07 2012, 11:13

Brian it's up to you, if you want to continue here or start a new thread which I take is for the engine clean and polish!?

Glad to hear that the alloy is cleaning up, not that's going to be a labour of love, I tend just to do it in small sections or part by part so as not to drive myself crazy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty Hi gang

Post by villiersblp Fri Dec 21 2012, 17:57

Hi all
I have not posted for some time as I have not worked in the garage when it was very cold. Sad Sad

This week I have had 2 days to get some thing done. The exhaust on no1 engine is now painted with a good
heat resistent paint, looks good.
No2 engine is all painted and fixed into its frame and I am sorting the carb. cable control ... will have to make it shorter. cyclops

I did have a problem with the acto petrol tank after having it blasted clean.. The filler kneck came loose, as the solder
around the tank and kneck had been damaged. I used an epoxy material that sets and looks like metal, and it worked very well.
The pump I got from ebay works very well .... I set up a test with a plastic tank --pipes-- and a drill to spin it. It gave a good flow.

Well its Christmas soon and I would like to thank you all for the help you have offered me over the last few months.
I wish you all the very best for Christmas and the new year...... Brian santa santa
Matt no mail yet?? it is Christmas
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Dec 21 2012, 19:28

Hmm, that's strange. Mind you, it was a 2nd class stamp. I'm still waiting for some petrol proof lacquer I ordered over 10 days ago, whereas a UPS package sent from Uxbridge at around 16:30 yesterday arrived here, in East Sussex this morning at around 11:20.

When, & indeed if, they do arrive will you let me know if they are correct. I put some jeans in the wash the other day & found a collet in the pocket.

Anyway, happy christmas to you all. santa

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 22 2012, 12:48

More good news Brian your sure getting on well with both engines weather permiting, so take a well earned Christmas break from the engine unless you get bored and sneak out for an hour or two. Laughing Laughing Laughing

All the best for Christmas and the New Year to you and your family.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty new year

Post by villiersblp Fri Jan 04 2013, 11:44

Hi all
I hope santa santa had all the little things you wanted and the new year has started well.

Over Chirstmas we had lots of family gatherings. One of group was interested in seeing my engines so we sneaked into the garage to have look.
He's 30 likes fast cars but do's not understand machinery very well. The engine started up quick and ran very well and he was very impressed.
When back inside he had to tell other about seeing the engines running BUT the main thing was he had seen SPARKS coming out of the exhaust pipe.
( this was just bits of carbon but it looked good. ) But it made him happy.

Now got the carb controles trimmed down to size and fitted to the frame and works well. Polished more bits of brass and paint work Ordered a new spark plug so I do not need 2 washers on this engine.

Matt no mail from you but thanks .... I have ordered some from ebay thanks again.

By for now Brian Smile
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 13:12

Glad to hear you had a good Christmas and you spread the word about Stationary engines, thing is people that no nothing about engines don't know how much work you've put into your engines to get them looking like they do.
Hope your new plug sorts out your problem and looking forward to maybe seeing them at a rally some day.

All the best for 2013 Brian,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty work on no 2 engine

Post by villiersblp Fri Jan 11 2013, 01:16

Hi all again
Number 2 engine now up and running but not with out problems.

The petrol tank I had spent a lot of time on rubbing down filling and painting.... LEAKED when I put petrol in it.
I had to remove the boss that held the fuel tap as the solder had given way and it dripped. all over my new engine.
Refitted the boss with a metal type epoxy and it seems to have worked very well no leaks. Now repainted looks good.

Next its the pump to have ago at. I have won a flywheel of ebay at little cost so I now need a flat pulley about 3" dia. with a
centre hole at .600" dia. or smaller to make the corect size later. My wife gave me a small tin pail (with flowers on it ) that I will use as my water tank.

Matt
good news the mail came yesterday must have been at the bottom of santas bag. santa they fit my equipment and will get well used... thanks again.

By for now Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Jan 11 2013, 11:10

villiersblp wrote:
Matt
good news the mail came yesterday must have been at the bottom of santas bag. santa they fit my equipment and will get well used... thanks again.

By for now Brian

Blimey! That's 2nd class post for you! Shocked

Oh well, got there in the end at least.

BTW I've used Quicksteel puttey (well, Wickes own brand equivalent) on petrol tank bosses before, it seems to work fine, just as long as everything is as clean as if you were going to solder, so it's pretty much the same prep but you don't use any heat. Mine put up with a lot of pressure whilst I was drilling out something on it, I was surprised when it finally gave way, it's stronger than you think.

I've since used it on a broken aluminium exhaust flange & it broke very easily. But these were different force directions at work. Just thought I'd let you know that I've used it on fuel tap bosses before & it seemed fine.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11 2013, 12:26

Sorry to hear of your slight set back, always the same think your all finished then something comes along and bites your ass.

Good to hear you got it sorted,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty mini tool set

Post by villiersblp Wed Jan 23 2013, 11:42

Hi all

I visited lidl supermarket Yesterday as I was told ( Matt ) they had a set of tools for the mini drils we use for cleaning and polishing.
For about £12.50 it has 276 pieces and should be very useful over the next few years!!.

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Multi_10

Looks good
Not been out in garage for some time due the the cold. I would like to make a vidio of my 2 engines running together but will have to wait for better weather. The I can look at setting up the pump to run with one of them.

By for now Brian
Hope this is not advertising
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 23 2013, 12:49

These are a very good set, I've been using an identical one for the last year, & have been & bought a replacement now, as I have almost run it out. (I was tempted to buy 2, but couldn't afford it as I bought the cordless tool to go with it).

There are a few bits you probably will never use. I never use the small cutting discs & have never managed to get the small stick-on sanding discs to stick to the rubber pad, but the sanding drums are very useful for de-rusting. The little diamond cutting wheels are also very good for re-slotting screw heads, as are the thinner engraving bits.

Watch the little wire brushes though, if you run them too fast they tend to spit out their bristles at you, I had one once that decided to shed all it's wire bristles into my jumper, it was very itchy after that! I only just found out that they aren't supposed to be run at full speed anyway (this is the first time I've actually seen an instruction leaflet for these tools, never realised they rotate at 25'000 rpm! Some go even faster)

All in all though, a very good set. I've even done a whole petrol tank with the sanding drums in the past, only used 2 or 3 of the belts & didn't take that long either. & the polishing wheels are very good with some Autosol polish. Really makes light work of polishing copper & brass, needs the lightest of touches, then just buff with a towel/cloth.

Also, the rubber grinding bits (the green ones & there are some brown/grey coloured wheels as well) are very good for polishing up the faces of points (as in ignition, contact breaker points). They are very soft. The orange grinding wheels are the hardest, good for taking material off. Then the greeny/blue ones are a little softer, then the pink ones are pretty soft (never tried the white ones).

I'm actually using some of the harder grinding bits at the moment to remove the chrome/nickel plating off the Tarpen exhaust, & it seems to be working well. The cordless tool is better than I expected as well, not as manly as the mains powered one though but that was to be expected.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty Hi all again

Post by villiersblp Tue Jan 29 2013, 18:16

This is the first day I have been able to work in the garage for some time.

So I had ago at making a vidio of my 2 villiers engines working, and then put it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9WACUeWUU

Hope this works again Laughing

I bid on ebay for a pulley wheel but was out bid. But later I found I could buy a new one for the same price as I had bid ....OK.

Water pump next

see you all soon

Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jan 29 2013, 18:44

Great stuff! cheers

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 17:05

Great video, 2 good looking engines you have there, well done on getting them up and running and in a good show condition.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 3 Empty long time no post

Post by villiersblp Thu Apr 04 2013, 16:34

Hi all

Long time no post due to this very very, long winter.
I did have some time in the garage and built my pump up with a little churn for the water to run into.
I have put a video on youtube it's not the best video but it was cold outside so I did the best I could for now. Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7Et62Dqx4

It's my birthday soon and my wife has given me a small live steam engine kit to build, all brass to bend ect. I think it will be saved for my next winter project as I do hope I can get back to some fishing soon. I am off to spain next month on a fishing trip so I may see some sun for a change. Cool Cool

By for now Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05 2013, 13:07

Brain you've done a great job of mounting the pump and it's running spot on, (maybe a little fast in my opinion) that's up to you. You've done some good work over this winter. I notice your thinking about next winter, well if you think you can get rid of us that easy your wrong as we now have a steam section on the forum so I hope to see you adding a post or 2 into that section. Very Happy
Enjoy your fishing trip and hope you get some good bites and maybe see you around the rally field, if you see me please say hello. Very Happy

Oh we have a fishing section in the hobbies topic now so don't be shy, take care and hope to hear from you soon,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by braydh Fri Apr 05 2013, 13:44

Looks good if i end up with a spare villiers may do something similar nice and light and compact 👍

braydh
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Capstan Thu May 23 2013, 18:09

The Lucas alternator and many others use a 15mm shaft. Maybe you could get a suitable pulley off one, they come in a range of sizes.

Capstan
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu May 23 2013, 21:12

Capstan wrote:The Lucas alternator and many others use a 15mm shaft. Maybe you could get a suitable pulley off one, they come in a range of sizes.

That's good to know. Could come in very handy, a piece o information like that. Cheers. cheers 👍

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3