www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister d tappet gap help

4 posters

Go down

Lister d tappet gap help Empty Lister d tappet gap help

Post by brooko Sat Aug 25 2012, 12:31

Can anyone tell me what the gap of the tappets in a lister d is i been told its .031 but i have a mm feeler gauge please help
brooko
brooko
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister d tappet gap help Empty Re: Lister d tappet gap help

Post by nutgone Sat Aug 25 2012, 20:55

Well, I can tell you .031" is 0.7874mm, which roughly translates to 0.8mm. But I can't tell you if it's right.

We've recently lost out imperial feeler gauges in our workshop, so I've had to dig out my metric set & write up a load of popular size conversions on the wall for my dad. I've got a converter app on my phone which does all the working out for me.

I'm at a rally right now, so could always ask someone if 31-thou is correct, but I expect someone will be along soon enough to let you know.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Aug 25 2012, 20:59

BTW, imperial feeler gauges can be had for pennies on eBay. I've ordered 2 sets for the workshop at home, both have metric & imperial leaves, both were under £4 each including p&p.

Just put in a search for feeler gauge, or imperial feeler gauge, sort by "price + P&P lowest first" & get a half decent set (more than 10 leaves is best, I go for 13-16 leaves usually).

Good luck.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26 2012, 11:09

This is a good quality set, you'll find it easier to work on your engine using imperial rather then metric.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370570071416?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Sun Sep 02 2012, 14:54

i bought an imperial set from halfrauds for 3.95, i got the imperial set....watch though as they do sell a set thats metric and imperial but are metric ones with ip measurements.....sizes look weird lol.

tappet gap .031" when cold in the lister instruction book.
tappet clearances (cold) .005 to .010 ins in the overhauling book,

my guess is hope soe one with experience posts the best Smile
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

http://damned2hell.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Sep 03 2012, 19:46

For a Lister D a gap of ten thou is fine, the 31 thou was a misprint in the reprinted instruction book according to its author.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggsy Wed Sep 05 2012, 07:52

what a bit to misprint.....geeeezzzzz but as i will be setting my tappets soon, thanks for the info

cheers

paul
Biggsy
Biggsy
Expert
Expert

http://damned2hell.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Sep 05 2012, 10:35

Actually, just for the record (& it's not like me to jump to the defence of Halfrauds) I've got a set of their "Metric & Imperial Feeler Gauges" & they are all in imperial first & foremost, with metric equivalents stamped on.

It's one of the sets I bought on fleaBay, from a proper seller as well, he'd made a very poor attempt to cross out the name Halfords on the packet, of coures he could've taken it out of the packet altogether, as Halfords don't stamp their names on the actual gauge!

This ex-Halfords set could be old stock or something, I don't know, but it's only a 16 leaf set, & doesn't have the tiny .0015" leaf, instead starting at .002" & it only goes up to something like .014", whereas my nice new big 26 leaf set has everything from .0015 right up to .025 with every thou in-between, a few of the smaller ones going up in half thou steps as well. They came from here....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200643839546?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05 2012, 11:52

I was looking for a set of feeler gauges myself as I've lost another set which I've only used a few times Crying or Very sad Embarassed I found these and I think they should do me and a reasonable quality. So not sure which set to get, these or the ones Nuts has bought, as his are better value.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370570071416?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Wed Sep 05 2012, 11:58

Biggsy wrote:what a bit to misprint.....geeeezzzzz but as i will be setting my tappets soon, thanks for the info

cheers

paul

I wouldn't worry about that Paul, I used to set D tappets at 31 thou for years (until I saw the amended figure) and never noticed any difference in running! Smile

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Sep 05 2012, 12:53

stationary stu wrote:I was looking for a set of feeler gauges myself as I've lost another set which I've only used a few times Crying or Very sad Embarassed I found these and I think they should do me and a reasonable quality. So not sure which set to get, these or the ones Nuts has bought, as his are better value.

Stu.

Well, the set I got I am very pleased with. They look a little untidy on the hinge, but not too bad everywhere else. (let's see if I can get a pic to show you what I mean)....

Lister d tappet gap help DSC01705

Lister d tappet gap help DSC01706

Lister d tappet gap help DSC01707

Lister d tappet gap help DSC01708

Also, there isn't much spare thread on the thumbscrew bit, but then there never is on feelers.

I'm happy with them, although I would say they look a little rough round the edges. But then I think it's difficult to get a large set of leaves like this looking tidy, as there's so many of them.

The markings are clear though & they are all easy to find, also there is EVERY single thou from 1.5 right up to 25, so no maths to do. The Metric markings are secondary, so they are an imperial set foremost, with metric markings on each leaf.

Up to you at the end of the day, I'm just letting you know what I think & giving my honest opinion. Wink

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 10:21

Like you say the hinge end doesn't matter, one of the main bug bears with feeler gauges are that the sizes are difficult to read even on a new set but they look clear and easy to read. Look as if they would do the job for me.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down