www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

tank repairs

4 posters

Go down

tank repairs Empty tank repairs

Post by mike d Sat Jul 21 2012, 22:19

Tank repair
Blakey.dog Today at 5:50 pm

Hi, I have a Lister D tank with pin holes so expensive petrol leaks out!! Can anyone tell me the name of that grey stuff I have seen on repaired tanks.
Thanks a lot, George. .

Last edited by mike d on Sat Jul 21 2012, 22:20; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : moved to rite spot)

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

tank repairs Empty Re: tank repairs

Post by nutgone Sat Jul 21 2012, 22:25

You could use "Quick Steel" putty, or something similar. It's a type of metal glue which comes on a kind of sausage shape. It's 2 part, grey on the outside & black in the middle, you cut a piece off & kind of kneed it between your fingers until it's all one colour, then apply it.

I'm not a big fan of these tank sealers like PetSeal, I've been told they don't react well to modern fuels & some of them have started to flake off. I've decided to wait & see how the latest ones perform on other peoples tanks.

The proper old fashioned way is to use solder & bakers fluid (not sure bakers fluid is still available), but quick steel putty should be just as good.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Jul 21 2012, 22:27

BTW, Wickes do they own brand of that Quick Steel putty, as do many other stores I expect. So it shouldn't be difficult to find. It has a good long shelf life, it's really handy stuff to have around & you only need a little bit. I've used it to stick part of my rope start pulley back together & it's held really well, it's supposed to be stronger than the metal itself.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

tank repairs Empty Tank repair.

Post by Blakey.dog Sat Jul 21 2012, 22:37

Thanks Mike for putting my post in the correct section. Sorry for my stupidity but can't help getting old in the tooth. Thanks for the info lads, much appreciated. Now you have pointed me in the right direction I will give it a go. George. Embarassed

Blakey.dog
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Jul 21 2012, 22:44

hi George
that's fine mate....we all start out on here a little unsure but it soon comes to us...
the Lister tank is still an option if it doesn't work
but like i said that petrol patch can be found on eBay...
good stuff,as long as you do it by the instructions
good luck with it...
regards...mike....

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jul 21 2012, 22:50

depends if you want a quick repair or a more permanent repair ...?

quick steel / chemical metal works i have a plug in a pump held in with it and so far has not leaked .... but you could try soldering or even sweating a patch over the area of holes in the tank .

Regards , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Jul 21 2012, 22:53

each to there own..ive used it and its now 8 years on and still good...
mike...

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jul 21 2012, 22:55

mike d wrote:each to there own..ive used it and its now 8 years on and still good...
mike...

as i said it does work but sometimes we can be weary to how good it is but mike has proven the point .... what engine is it on mate ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Jul 21 2012, 23:33

I have "trust issues" with metal putties & metal glues, but I have to say they are totally unfounded.

My dad used some of that quick-steel putty on a crankshaft pulley bolt, for the cam belt on a Peugeot 405 diesel. The pulley had been badly fitted, & came loose, ripping the thread & damaging the end of the shaft. He did it up with that stuff & it held for years, until the car was eventually sold to a family friend & I believe made it's way to the scrap yard eventually, due to old age.

That's a pretty good test of the stuff, quite a high stress environment for it. But still I remain sceptical about it!

You definitely need to follow the instructions, making sure surfaces are clean etc etc, but it seems to be very good, & very handy stuff to keep in your tool box.

Petrol tank patch stuff sounds a bit different, maybe not so useful in the long run, but I bet it works in a very similar way.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

tank repairs Empty tank repair.

Post by Blakey.dog Sun Jul 22 2012, 13:08

Hi Matt, it is on a Lister D. I am new to this game after spending time before I retired with a mate up the road who has renovated about 12 engines so far. I am no mechanic but I am getting better but I do admit I find fabricating stuff and welding a lot of fun. All the engines we get are non runners as we like the challenge of getting them working again. My preference is for Lister D's at the moment as they seem to be very basic engines and like to keep them in their "working clothes". Project is to get my collection of 6 Lister D's and 2 Petters running. George.

Blakey.dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22 2012, 13:11

Sounds as if you have plenty to keep you busy for a few weeks George . Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Jul 22 2012, 22:36

Best of luck to you, & it's not such a bad thing to keep to what you're familiar with until you've built up your skills, workshop & knowledge base.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down