www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

My little JAP

+4
DanBoy
JONESEY
kevjhnsn
pauldg
8 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

My little JAP - Page 4 Empty Re: My little JAP

Post by pauldg Sun Jul 29 2012, 22:33

I've allowed myself to get distracted by that Villiers recently...

This one is back the front this week though - expect miracles! (maybe...)

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 11:39

Keep us updated on it's progress Paul.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by pauldg Sun Aug 05 2012, 23:12

A little progress, not much I admit...

I got the carb back together - I haven't any pics as there's really nothing different to look at from the last lot! Just got seals/gaskets sorted and the butterfly attached to the spindle.

Once I get it near the engine again, it may well end up that I make a new spindle so I can connect the throttle/governor lever on the other side and keep the linkage a bit simpler - the original isn't long enough to just swap it over.

While there is very little play in the original spindle, it's not perfectly smooth where it goes through the bushes so if I do end up having the governor working it might wear quicker than I'd like and I'm just a bit bothered that if I take off too much material to smooth it off it may introduce a bit of an air leak - there's another advantage to making a new one. Not that the bushes would be difficult to replace being brass/bronze inserts but still...

Never know, I might even get something else done soon!

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by pauldg Tue Aug 14 2012, 23:31

Well, nothing really to report...

I've decided it's not going back together until it doesn't have to come apart again, if you know what I mean... So, I had a little go at cleaning up the cylinder cooling fins with my selection of wire brushes.

Terrible.

I got it clean about 1/4" in. I'm not having that.

Blast cabinet to be working this week (or -end) - even if it's set up outside and I keep it covered (the media I use doesn't suck up moisture so it's quite forgiving). Unfortunately, it's going to be a bit of a trial to use as I only have my tiny compressor working atm. It means it'll be 2 minutes blasting, then 5 minutes to pump up again etc. Never mind, it means I can also use it to get the big compressor cleaned up and painted too.

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Aug 15 2012, 00:01

well when its going it will be a better and easier job cleaning for painting up
i miss having access to the shotblaster i used to use ,he was convinced to replace it with a carry around set up that holds about 20 seconds of sand
and takes the pee filling and filling again over and over just to do a small part
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15 2012, 13:22

I need to sort out a cabinet so I can get my blaster up and working but can't find anything suitable to use, any ideas folks?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by pauldg Wed Aug 15 2012, 15:23

stationary stu wrote:I need to sort out a cabinet so I can get my blaster up and working but can't find anything suitable to use, any ideas folks?

Stu.

There are plans available on 'net for making them out of ply in a few different sizes. Seems reasonable from what I've seen. I don't know if they include in the plans a backplate made of a sheet of metal, but that'll make the wood last longer. I'm going to be making a little one for soda blasting out of a wheely filing thingy too.

All you really need is a box with a window/door and holes you can fit gloves in. The better you can seal it the cleaner it'll be (you may need to vent it - use a bit of drainpipe to get excess air and dust away from yourself).

I went to a local blasting company to get some media and ended up buying a proper cab off them for less than I could make a wooden one for. Maybe that's an idea? See if someone local has a spare they'd part with.

(Ask if you want any pics of either m proper cab or my little homebrew one for ideas/something to giggle at)

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15 2012, 16:10

Paul I did buy one of them plastic garden seat/storage boxes with the idea of ply lining it and seeing if I can get maybe a bit of metal for the back. Would something say the thickness of a car body panel be thick enough for the back?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by pauldg Wed Aug 15 2012, 17:18

An old bit of car should do the job fine - it's not going to last forever, but it'll last a good long time. How long depends on the media you choose - the harder/coarser it is, the less time you'll get from the panel. They're supposed to be sacrificial anyway. Just make it so you can swap it out when you need to, it doesn't have to cover the whole thing, just protect the bit you'll hit most when blasting.

I was going to use something like that inside mine too.

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 07 2012, 11:55

Hi Paul, just wondering if you've got on any futher with your sand blasting set up? I've managed to pick up a 3x4 foot by 20inch galvinised steel box so it should be spot on for what I need and get most of the bigger parts into it.

My little JAP - Page 4 Box10

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by pauldg Sat Dec 08 2012, 02:59

Nice box Stu, did you write on it in case you forgot what it was? Wink

Mine is sort-of set up now, I found out quite quickly that my little 25 litre compressor wasn't really suited to the task though so I've been getting on slowly with my bigger one - I shall do a compressor/blaster thread soon once I've arranged my thoughts and pictures.

A couple of things I've found out so far that I'll pass on here first, the cabinet should be sealed yet vented.... If you are going to be using the lid of yours as the access door then seal it up with something like sticky draught excluder to stop dust, but include a vent as pumping air in means it has to come out somewhere - better to control it and filter it if possible. Make sure the window and gloves are well sealed, dust in your face isn't nice and if you get it on your hands you'll have crunchy tea for a few days afterwards. You can't avoid it entirely but it's worth making a bit of an effort.

Also, I don't know what type of gun you have, but the venturi style ones need a good amount of air flow as well as pressure to work with any sense, I was getting very little time out of the 25l compressor before it was 'flat' and it takes a while to recharge.

Let me know how you get on with yours though and if you have any questions about it you think I might be able to answer then by all means ask. Smile

Paul

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Dec 08 2012, 10:30

pauldg wrote:Nice box Stu, did you write on it in case you forgot what it was? Wink

Paul

I've been dying to say something about that! lol!

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 08 2012, 11:09

No I didn't write on the box the seller did I wondered if the had other boxes like a wood one and a cardboard one so they needed to know the difference. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Paul have you found some suitable gloves with long arms that can be fixed to your cabinet (see tin box is now a cabinet Very Happy )
I'm not sure on how to do it yet still planning, but I think I should check my compressor is powerful enough I can't remember off hand what it is now so I'll need to go look in the shed Laughing Laughing Laughing I know it's 3hp and I think 150 litre receiver.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by pauldg Sun Dec 09 2012, 13:18

stationary stu wrote:No I didn't write on the box the seller did I wondered if the had other boxes like a wood one and a cardboard one so they needed to know the difference. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Paul have you found some suitable gloves with long arms that can be fixed to your cabinet (see tin box is now a cabinet Very Happy )
I'm not sure on how to do it yet still planning, but I think I should check my compressor is powerful enough I can't remember off hand what it is now so I'll need to go look in the shed Laughing Laughing Laughing I know it's 3hp and I think 150 litre receiver.

Stu.

That compressor should be big enough, but I've never been a fan of classifying them by hp rating or even receiver size. For this sort of application it's the flow that's important... That said, a more powerful motor is going to be capable of driving a bigger, higher flow pump so it's an indication if nothing else.

Re: gloves - I'd recommend the Marigold industrials, just don't get the wife all excited saying you're getting some marigolds, she'll expect the little yellow ones for washing up Laughing

I think I might start a blast thread actually, then maybe pool all of this into that one?

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 10 2012, 11:08

Paul I'll not be doing anything with mine for a while as I need to sort out for a new shed first. I'm sure plenty of others might be interested if you can make up a cheap sand blaster. There was a proper cabinet just sold on ebay but it went to high for my pocket and sold for £86, it had the blast gun included and a perspex lid, I'm sure I can make something similar for a fraction of that cost.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum