www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

+10
steve w
Bamfordlad
Abes
ian webb
kevjhnsn
Diddy
mike d
hob
JONESEY
matt86
14 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 5 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14 2013, 13:27

Matt I think if you had a few good days it would see you finishing your engines if not you'll be very close. Looks as if you'll have a choice of engines this year.

Nice work mate, Keep it up,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 5 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 14 2013, 15:09

fowlerfan wrote:Hi Matt,

Remind me, did I send you over a drawing of the exhaust ? Let me know....losing track of things !
Cheers
Dave

Dave, no never got a drawing in the end. If you can send one be useful.

Cheers
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 14 2013, 15:12

stationary stu wrote:Matt I think if you had a few good days it would see you finishing your engines if not you'll be very close. Looks as if you'll have a choice of engines this year.

Nice work mate, Keep it up,

Stu.

I know stu , I'm starting to get a nice collection of engines now Very Happy Shouldn't take too long to get sorted. All I can do really is go and cut some gaskets, so might do that later tonight.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bamfordlad Mon Jan 14 2013, 18:17

Looking at your wire locking, the left hand bolt could work loose and possibly break the locking wire. The link below shows how wire locking is done by the professionals and explains the reasoning behind it.

http://blog.loosco.com/bid/72098/Loos-Co-Safety-Lockwire

Bamfordlad
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 14 2013, 18:26

Bamfordlad wrote:Looking at your wire locking, the left hand bolt could work loose and possibly break the locking wire. The link below shows how wire locking is done by the professionals and explains the reasoning behind it.

http://blog.loosco.com/bid/72098/Loos-Co-Safety-Lockwire

Cheers , easy enough to re do it but the bolts are done up fkin tight the left one i tried to get tighter but wouldn't shift any more ....

Il have a look .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 14 2013, 18:28

Ahh i see where i have gone wrong , easy enough sorted . il nip out and have a go .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15 2013, 11:54

Matt as long as you have the wire so if the bolt trys to work loose the wire will stop it.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:41

stationary stu wrote:Matt as long as you have the wire so if the bolt trys to work loose the wire will stop it.

Stu.

Stu, I have changed it now and I can see where went wrong, but all sorted now Smile Has got locktite on the bolts too.

Last night I got the fuel tank on with some cork packed behind it to stop vibration and the like. Tonight I think il crack on getting the guvnor casing on along with carb and start fabricating a carb linkage, oh and need to have a play with guvnor pin and arm to see how'd it should work.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:50

Sounds as if you've got plenty to do. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jan 15 2013, 14:57

Stu, you should know me by now! I always got plenty to do.... Not long now until it's ready to fire up! Very Happy

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:05

matt86 wrote:Stu, you should know me by now! I always got plenty to do.... Not long now until it's ready to fire up! Very Happy

Matt

Great news Matt hope it's all ok then you can get it sorted ready to rally this year. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Jan 16 2013, 12:47

Stu it will defently be out thus year, may take it to abbey hill, didn't manage to get anything done to it last night, but washers have turned up now. Got a v8 block from a astin Martin sat in the shed now, my brother want to turn it into a coffee table Rolling Eyes So that's what I did last nite, go and fetch that.

See if I can get out there later cross fingers.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17 2013, 13:12

Now I'd be interested in seeing the making of a coffee table, will it be similar to the one on Top Gear? So could you please post some pics of it being transformed.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Thu Jan 17 2013, 14:03

stationary stu wrote:Now I'd be interested in seeing the making of a coffee table, will it be similar to the one on Top Gear? So could you please post some pics of it being transformed.

Stu.

I had a book from our local library, it was about a group of lads restoring an old car in the East Midlands, and to raise funds one of them started making coffee tables from old engines. He went to car dealers etc and asked them what they wanted for their office or waiting area and then bought the correct engine, he then had it taken to a place near Oxford who completely cleaned it inside and out and then got a mate to put a wood and glass top on it! Didn't actually do any of it himself, just delegated, but they sold for around a grand a time which boosted the car fund. Smile

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jan 17 2013, 14:08

Pete I know there a few quid once done. but the chance of a astin race block appeared my brother couldn't turn it down Laughing Look on eBay and you see what there going for. stupid money!

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Thu Jan 17 2013, 14:11

matt86 wrote:Pete I know there a few quid once done. but the chance of a astin race block appeared my brother couldn't turn it down Laughing Look on eBay and you see what there going for. stupid money!

Matt

Didn't see the Aston part Matt, these were Ford and BMC blocks that the chap in the book did. This year is the Centenary of Aston Martin so the time is ripe for a profit!!!

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jan 17 2013, 15:11

ah I see. you should see the price of a knackered v8 astin block on eBay like £250 Shocked .

need to find some pistons and conrods simular size to bore so looks like would be from the engine. going to use valves for feet too, just cut a thread and screw into holes where sump bolts went.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18 2013, 13:28

Matt valves are very hard so it might take a bit to get a thread on them but good luck and hope it works.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jan 19 2013, 22:34

A little update ...

Been getting a few more bits done to the fowler tonight been busy otherwise decorating and getting stuck in the snow Embarassed

Managed to get the guvnor all installed with the arm and cover installed with the guvnor control pin . Fuel tank is on too since last pictures .

Here a few pictures

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 5 001_zpsa6a8d657

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 5 002_zpsdf40ff5a

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 5 003_zpsd432ca51

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 5 004_zps922baab8

Just need to order a few bolts need some 5/16 x 1" BSF bolts and the guvnor spring tensor , one from a lister D would do . Oh i need to get a plunger for a lister D carb too mine is missing , if anyone has one i would be grateful.

And then All to do is get the carb put on and the mag and sqing the handle Smile

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Sat Jan 19 2013, 23:40

Hi Matt,

Before you key on the flywheel I would leave enough space to get the governor cover off without too much hassle. I have seen a few Fowlers where the flywheel is up very close to the governor casing making access for timing, mag removal etc very difficult without removing the flywheel which can be a pain.

Its looking good...
Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jan 19 2013, 23:44

fowlerfan wrote:Hi Matt,

Before you key on the flywheel I would leave enough space to get the governor cover off without too much hassle. I have seen a few Fowlers where the flywheel is up very close to the governor casing making access for timing, mag removal etc very difficult without removing the flywheel which can be a pain.

Its looking good...
Cheers Dave

Dave i had to take the flywheel off to get the casing on earlier ... Cool but the flywheel is just on there with the key just in a little bit so can turn the engine over . Turns over quite nice and smooth . How much space would there need to be between the flywheel and the bearing housing roughly ?

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Sat Jan 19 2013, 23:49

I will check for you tomorrow Matt. I worked it out a while ago and then applied the same to the rest of my Fowlers. Its handy as I usually take the mags off during the winter so you can get into the mag gear nut without disturbing the flywheel. You do need to be careful when sliding the cover off that the governor pushrod doesn't catch the weight springs and stretch them if you know what I mean ? You can usually ease the pushrod over the springs, I normally also disconnect the governor arm by removing the pin on the end casing, and let it hang from the carb linkage.

Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jan 20 2013, 00:05

fowlerfan wrote:I will check for you tomorrow Matt. I worked it out a while ago and then applied the same to the rest of my Fowlers. Its handy as I usually take the mags off during the winter so you can get into the mag gear nut without disturbing the flywheel. You do need to be careful when sliding the cover off that the governor pushrod doesn't catch the weight springs and stretch them if you know what I mean ? You can usually ease the pushrod over the springs, I normally also disconnect the governor arm by removing the pin on the end casing, and let it hang from the carb linkage.

Cheers Dave

Cheers Dave , would be useful to know but dont want the flywheel sticking out too much ...

I normally take the mags off but this winter i have been running my lister A , feel sorry for it just left in the corner un touched Laughing I didnt seem to have any problems installing the guvnor pin onto the gear / weights . Mine did not have one to start with ... I assume it just sits on the top on the weights in the cutout ? As the engines is running the weights fly out hence pushing the pin outwards and that action will push the arm downwards closing the throttle down ? Am i right ?

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20 2013, 13:39

Looking good Matt looks like you'll have her up and running in the next few days.

Good luck,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jan 20 2013, 14:05

stationary stu wrote:Looking good Matt looks like you'll have her up and running in the next few days.

Good luck,

Stu.

I wish stu , i need to get the mag sorted 1st well least get some screws for the pick up as dont know what thread they are and they are really small . Then i can see if its got a spark ... If not off to vintage magnetos it goes

Oh and i need a lister D carb plunger , they one that sits under the handwheel .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next