www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Part prices

2 posters

Go down

Part prices Empty Part prices

Post by Admin Sat Jan 02 2010, 20:32

is it me or does buying spare parts equal sometimes more than a complete engine, for example i sold a spare hovis style D mag for £110 but bought the complete engine for £62, its just ive just seen a D carb sell for £35 it seems to be more and more as time goes on Very Happy

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Part prices Empty Re: Part prices

Post by Appletop Sat Jan 02 2010, 20:45

Parts prices are mad because people are mad Mad
The trouble is, people have more money, (yep still!) and tend to spend it like water thru a holey welly.
There was a Lister D on flebay not long back, as found and rusty, just right for restoration. This engine was a little unuseall as it had a deep cover over the mag and a Lucas ML mag, it was on for about 2 days then it got pulled off. couple of days later the mag cover appeared, then the mag, the bloke had striped it for more gain. You can't blame sellers for doing this, we have ourselves to blame, we as a collection (WE ARE BORG alien ) are paying these prices so we must lump it.

The only way the prices are going to drop is if everyone stops paying the money!.

In the late 80's Engine prices went thru the roof for a short while as investers jumped onto the band wagon, as luck would have it things didn't pan out the way they wanted so prices droped again.

Footnote. My Nephew sold a Lister D and a Ruston PT, both restored for £350.00. this was 18 years ago Shocked

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 02 2010, 20:55

Should go back to amancos for £5 bsa bantams d1 4 2 packs a golden vigina and lister d for cleaning out chicken sheds Very Happy

its only scap metal when you come down to it, just we crazy fools pay over the odds for it, hay ho its a hobby and we all enjoy it!

Cheers steve

Back to top Go down

Part prices Empty have you ever heard of an amac engine

Post by Admin Sat Jan 02 2010, 21:04

its canadian, looks like an amanco, i have a friend who give a fiver for one of those back in the day

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 02 2010, 21:52

i dont think theres ever going to be a conclusively logical answer to the prices of spares, in one of my other hobbies, model railways, sometimes locomotives that have been labelled as spares or repairs sell for more than a workinf model that is otherwise identical!!!

this is why i've bought a lot of lister D's recently, i have 7, and all are complete, however they all cost far less than any of the essential spare parts of each would have cost were i to buy them, so i will always have spares if i find that one or two of them are unrestorable (which by the looks of it they arent)

Paul Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Part prices Empty i expect model railway

Post by Admin Sat Jan 02 2010, 21:54

can be very expensive paul, bet you have had to pay a fair bit out Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 02 2010, 22:17

not really, you have to be savvy, spend when you can on what you need before what you want, and build it up slowly, my railways been 30 years in the making, started by my dad in 1978!

Paul Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down