www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lucas SR1 magneto

2 posters

Go down

Lucas SR1 magneto Empty Lucas SR1 magneto

Post by 68jcb Fri Nov 04 2022, 23:21

Bought a Lister D with Lucas SR1 magneto on it. The engine had been outside for a while and unfortunately the mags cover was broken so was open to the elements.
I dismantled the mag, gave the internals a clean and left it in a warm place to dry out, there was a tiny spark but this soon disappeared,  So not wanting to spend a great deal of money on having the coil re-wound, I had a think and remembered  seeing a post that Andy Waters did on a Wico mag with Bantam coil, he had very good results and didn't cost a fortune!  I purchased a coil from ebay and decided to have a go at putting the Bantam coil in my Lucas SR1 mag.  
Not as good as Andy's  finished job but mine is still work in progress, got things to tidy up, needs new cap and this will need slight alteration so that cap and coil contacts meet.
As you can see the coil has water stains on it
Lucas SR1 magneto Img_2716
Lucas SR1 magneto Img_2718
Lucas SR1 magneto Img_2717[/u
As you can see the the retaining screws for the coil  were seized in and had to be drilled out![url=https://servimg.com/view/20171345/77Lucas SR1 magneto Img_2724
The laminate core was removed from old coil and had to be reduced in size to fit the new coil, you have to be careful not to remove too mant laminate strips!
Lucas SR1 magneto Img_2721
Lucas SR1 magneto Img_2723
Lucas SR1 magneto Img_2722

Have put the armature and points back in and given the mag a spin, pleasantly surprised as I have a working magneto!  I will finish the mag off  now, will put new points, condenser and cap on.

Anyone thinking of having a go at this  needs to bear in mind that this was an experiment and I can't say for sure that it will work for everyone! Parts were cheap and for me was it worth doing!
This coil may be suitable for other magneto's!

68jcb
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Lucas SR1 magneto Empty Re: Lucas SR1 magneto

Post by Andywaters Sat Nov 05 2022, 13:29

Well done.
I’ve been told by a few on Facebook that this is a good fix on SR1 and RS1 but having not needed to do this yet myself thank you for the demonstration 👌
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 68jcb Mon Nov 07 2022, 08:08

Thanks Andy!
It was a cheap way of bring a magneto back to life, hopefully it will last a few years!

It shouldn't be long before I can try it on my Lister D. I will keep you all posted!

68jcb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down