www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Another Magneto Question

4 posters

Go down

Another Magneto Question Empty Another Magneto Question

Post by donp Wed Jan 26 2022, 15:15

Hi all,  I have  very poor knowledge as to the workings of a magneto, that is to say not the flywheel type I. E. Villiers kind as have had many of this type over the years, the Magneto on this latest purchase is a BTH  MC2  AZ4 and when turning engine over using the start handle with spark plugs attached to HT leads and earthing against engine there are no sparks, I have tried quite a few plugs that I know are good.
Is there any other way I can test say with a multi meter, if so what should I set the meter at and where do I connect the two meter leads to, red to ?  black to ?, magneto has not been removed from the engine as yet,   sorry people but my grey matter just does not seem to be able to sus this out.
Taking end cap off mag. points revolve anti clockwise, so is this classed as an anti clockwise magneto.

Any help appreciated, but please in easily understandable terms, as said magnetos and me do not compute that well together.

Don

Last edited by donp on Wed Jan 26 2022, 19:53; edited 1 time in total
donp
donp
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Another Magneto Question Empty Re: Another Magneto Question

Post by Woodsman Wed Jan 26 2022, 16:57

Hi Don,

Have you checked that the carbon brushes are clean and springs OK? Ditto slip ring? 
To test HT side set meter to 1000's of ohms range - whatever is available on your meter. Connect between HT terminal and earth (body).  Doesn't matter which way round leads are when measuring resistance.
Reading should be around  5k - 6k
You could also try to get a reading directly from the slip ring by poking a wire down the HT hole

I'll email a doc which describes how to test just using a battery but it may necessitate dismantling the mag.  Be sure to read about using a 'keeper' when removing armature.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Wed Jan 26 2022, 20:10

Magneto direction is usually noted from the driven end. Your magneto is clockwise rotation (although it will be anti-clockwise if viewed from the contact breaker).

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Wed Jan 26 2022, 21:22

Don,

You say you can work with Villiers magneto's, simplified the only difference is that the BTH magneto is enclosed in a metal box and a Villiers magneto is an assembly of parts inside a flywheel, they both have the same parts and are tested in exactly the same way.

Martin P

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down