www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Which lister diesel as a battery charger

3 posters

Go down

Which lister diesel as a battery charger  Empty Which lister diesel as a battery charger

Post by TomClifford Sun Nov 07 2021, 22:46

Hi all
First time poster here. So be kind. 😆
Apologies if this topic has already been discussed but I can't see any record of it.
I have an off grid workshop that currently has light and power through 1500w solar panels, a 24v battery bank and a 2000w inverter.
I have a 3000kva generator for running compressors etc when needed.
However the great British weather as it is doesn't bring a lot of day light, let alone sunshine at this time of year. I'm therefore looking into obtaining a small stationary engine, not running a genset but an alternator to keep the battery bank topped up when dark / over cast and to power a diesel heater (again through the batteries and inverter).
I believe running a dc alternator to be a lot easier than a genset which requires certain rpm to get the correct frequency.
My research makes me believe a 4hp or so engine would be sufficient to run a 80amp 24v alternator. I need an engine happy to run 24 hours a day, frugal, diesel, low reving and most of all quiet. 🤫
Reading this and other forums I have come to the conclusion that a LT1 or LV1 would do the job. I believe these came with an optional silencer.
4hp at 1500rpm and using around 1 litre per hour.
However I believe a LR1 is a similar size and output.
Any thoughts on which would be best suited, quieter and more efficient?
Thanks in advance.

TomClifford

Back to top Go down

Which lister diesel as a battery charger  Empty Re: Which lister diesel as a battery charger

Post by blue cat Mon Nov 08 2021, 19:46

All these Lister diesels are air-cooled and so not as quiet as a water cooled engine.
They also come in various HP as well, starting as low as 1.5hp, so you need to check the spec when buying.
The LR1 is a nice engine, but you might want to consider a water cooled Lister CS diesel at 5hp, very popular with off-gridders.
Another good small diesel is the Petter PAZ1 but I don't think spares are as plentiful for these as they are for the Listers. Petter AV water cooled 5hp diesel is also good.
Just a few thoughts of little value.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Which lister diesel as a battery charger  Empty Re: Which lister diesel as a battery charger

Post by Gaudin98 Tue Nov 09 2021, 15:22

Lister cs is the way to go. The smaller air cooled ones will send you deaf.

Gaudin98
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by TomClifford Tue Nov 09 2021, 15:34

Thank you all.
I will look into a CS 3 or 3.5.
Plus I do like the sound of them ticking over at 600 rpm.
What would you think the fuel economy of these would be?

TomClifford

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down