www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Waiting in the wings

4 posters

Go down

Waiting in the wings Empty Waiting in the wings

Post by chuffchuff Fri Jan 10 2020, 18:44

Not the best of photos I know but here are a few of the engines I have in the workshop. I guess I'll have a go at the Petter "M" after I get the Amanco finished that could be a long time off though  Laughing Waiting in the wings P1050810

chuffchuff
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Waiting in the wings Empty Re: Waiting in the wings

Post by fowlerfan Fri Jan 10 2020, 21:39

Nice collection, would like to see a few more pics of the Fowler and a note of the serial number if possible. Been tinkering with 1PA's for a long time now and its always nice to see an original example, let me know if you need any assistance. The Petter is also interesting as it appears to have the remains of a silver Petter script on the hopper. Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Fri Jan 10 2020, 22:21

Hi Dave In the next day or two I'll try and get round to getting a few photos and serial No for you. Although its been sitting untouched for at least 30 odd years where you see it I would think the Fowler wouldn't need much to get it going. The Petter M may need a bit more work I seem to recall the main bearing are pretty worn and the drip lubricator is missing.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by tony RA Fri Jan 10 2020, 22:58

That/s a bit of kit you have there Jim

tony RA
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Jan 11 2020, 10:50

Nice A1, see it has the starting extension on the crankshaft, does it have a drive shaft on the timing cover or both ports blanked off?

One thing a lot of people seem to overlook with the Petter A1 is the amount of differences seen on them, from carbs to mag drives and the fact they can have 4 different drive arrangements.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sat Jan 11 2020, 18:28

Hi, The Petter A1 doesn't have a drive shaft on the timing cover side. The engine came from an old cement mixer I used to have and I was the only person that could start it, it was really fussy on the spark plug condition so I guess the mag isn't too healthy once going though it never missed a beat doesn't look very good though.
I have another one driving a saw bench that I occasionally use for the firewood. I'ts not the best of starters either Rolling Eyes

On a earlier post here Fowlerfan asked about the Fowler. The serial No is 00107 92 and as you'll note I attached a few more pics here of the Fowler.

Waiting in the wings P1050816Waiting in the wings P1050817Waiting in the wings P1050818

Looks likely the Fowler restoration is a bit away though. Sad

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Sat Jan 11 2020, 19:59

Thanks for the extra photos and serial of the Fowler, its a nice example of a later heavy duty engine. Original transfers and the red dot is the 'speed spot' which confirms it is a 1PAL low speed model. If you clean the little tag on the Lucas magneto there should be a 3 digit number on it, this gives the month/year of when the magneto was made. This will be very useful in dating the engine. In terms of restoration, I wouldn't go anywhere near it with a paint brush, its too original :-) An oily rag, clean out/service and maybe a mag overhaul looks like all it needs. Do you have any history of what it was used for ? Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sat Jan 11 2020, 22:29

Hi Dave, you certainly know your engines. Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I've no idea where the engine came from or what it was used for. My late father was a millwright and Lister and Petter agent many, many moons ago. All the engines I have here have been with me for probably more than 50 years. My father would likely have known the owners and whereabouts of many small engines and done a deal to save them from the scrap man. Mobile scrap men would often call in past and likely offer my father an engine for little money.
If I'm not mistake the little Petter M was used by an old fellow to drive a firewood sawbench if it's the same one? I remember seeing it running driving the sawbench, I was probably around five years old at the time  Rolling Eyes
It's only over the past year that I've taken a closer interest in them. I've too many interests really but have now a bit more time on my hands now that I'm semi retired.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum