www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286

4 posters

Go down

Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286 Empty Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286

Post by harrone Sun Apr 10 2016, 16:31

Here's an engine on my to do list. I contacted Ray Hooley who gave me some info about it.

"Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286, a petrol/paraffin engine rated 3.5hp, was despatched to Ruston's depot in Sydney on 2.2.1925. I don't have any record of their customers."

I was offered it by a picker I've bought from in the past. It looks such a complicated mechanism that I keep putting off dismantling it to restore all the parts and repaint.

Cheers

Mark  

Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286 Engine10

harrone
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286 Empty Re: Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286

Post by RustonMark Mon Apr 11 2016, 12:11

harrone wrote:Here's an engine on my to do list. I contacted Ray Hooley who gave me some info about it.

"Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286, a petrol/paraffin engine rated 3.5hp, was despatched to Ruston's depot in Sydney on 2.2.1925. I don't have any record of their customers."

I was offered it by a picker I've bought from in the past. It looks such a complicated mechanism that I keep putting off dismantling it to restore all the parts and repaint.

Cheers

Mark  

Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286 Engine10

Hi Mark

That definitely looks worth saving, looks to be reasonably complete, (apart from cylinder oiler which may have been tucked away for safe keeping). Which part of the mechanism looks complicated do you think ?  They are pretty simple really.  This is the second 3½ AP I've seen in Australia recently, must have been a popular market.  I had a 1924 3½AP 119279, a few serial numbers away from your one.  Mine was sold in the UK in June 1924.  They are great runners, once you get them going. Likely problem areas include general wear on bearings and mag.  Just the usual, really.  Fuel tank looks like a later addition.

RustonMark
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by glowes3 Tue Mar 13 2018, 22:25

Hello Mark
I was just looking back through Ruston Hornsby posts and saw your AP 3.5HP

Wondering where you are at with it?

I have the identical engine.

All the best Graeme
glowes3
glowes3
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Ruston & Hornsby AP No.119286 Empty My Ruston Hornsby AP 3.5HP

Post by harrone Wed Mar 14 2018, 09:48

No, it's still under a tarp outside my shed. I'm currently layed up with a bad back and torn bum muscle (bloody hard to sit down). I have a mechanic mate rebuilding a rare McKenzie & Holland 3hp diesel for me and am waiting for the arrival of a replacement hopper/barrel piece for a 4hp Sandwich engine I sourced from the US.

harrone
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sun Apr 08 2018, 16:44

Looks nice. Wish I had the facilities to tackle something like that - little air cooled jobs for me

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down