www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Is there any "brand" of UK manufactured "aircooled" engine that could be considered truely stationary?

5 posters

Go down

Is there any "brand" of UK manufactured "aircooled" engine that could be considered truely stationary? Empty Is there any "brand" of UK manufactured "aircooled" engine that could be considered truely stationary?

Post by harrone Sat Apr 09 2016, 00:50

That is, was never associated with lawnmowers, motorcycles or motor vehicles and was designed purely to drive other stationary equipment on a farm or in a factory.

harrone
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Is there any "brand" of UK manufactured "aircooled" engine that could be considered truely stationary? Empty Re: Is there any "brand" of UK manufactured "aircooled" engine that could be considered truely stationary?

Post by Appletop Sat Apr 09 2016, 08:01

Yup.

You have Petter with the A, A1, PA etc, then there's Ruston Hornsby who made an air cooled open crank, plus air cooled diesels,

Bamfords mad an air cooled open crank,

Bradford the same,

Probably more but it's early and my brain is running at 30%
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Is there any "brand" of UK manufactured "aircooled" engine that could be considered truely stationary? Empty Re: Is there any "brand" of UK manufactured "aircooled" engine that could be considered truely stationary?

Post by harrone Sat Apr 09 2016, 09:19

Oh, yes I had forgotten about the Petters but wasn't aware that Bamford or Bradford did them. Oddly enough a picker I deal with offered me two aircooled engines this afternoon, a rather large complicated looking Petter and a smaller Wisconson at $150 each. I've got a few of these type of aircooled engines but haven't deliberately seeked them out. The ones I do have were bought simply to get the water pumps that were attached to them. Which reminds me, I recently did by an engine/pump combination but the engine has no maker plate so don't know what it is. I'll start a new thread to see if anyone recognizes it.

harrone
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sat Apr 09 2016, 19:00

Yep, lots of them ...........

ABC
Amanco (built by Bradford)
Aster
Bamford
Barr & Stroud
Bradford
BSA
Coborn (Browett Lindley)
Coventry Victor
Douglas
Enfield
Glasgow (Wallace)
Grigg
J.A.Prestwich
Lister - many types
Norman
Petter - many types
Ruston Hornsby
Scammell
Scott
Stuart Turner
Villiers - many types
Vincent
Wolseley

You'll notice that many of the big engine manufacturers are missing though.
..... and I've probably missed a few too !

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harrone Sun Apr 10 2016, 14:28

Hi Blue Cat,

You mustn't have read my original post, "never associated with lawnmowers, motorcycles or motor vehicles".

That would mean that BSA, Enfield, JAP, Villiers, Vincent, Wolseley shouldn't be in list. Many of the others I've never heard of, so would rely on others to advise if they also should be there.

Cheers

Mark

harrone
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by 1945ruston Sun Apr 10 2016, 20:47

Teagle Farm Machinery Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, produced their own engine for use on their elevators etc, in the 1950's as nothing suitable was available for their needs at that time

1945ruston
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Botham Mon Apr 11 2016, 22:03

A lister dk is a classic.

Sam Botham
I really need to post more
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Tue Apr 12 2016, 19:59

harrone wrote:Hi Blue Cat,

You mustn't have read my original post, "never associated with lawnmowers, motorcycles or motor vehicles".

That would mean that BSA, Enfield, JAP, Villiers, Vincent, Wolseley shouldn't be in list. Many of the others I've never heard of, so would rely on others to advise if they also should be there.

Cheers

Mark

Just trying to help .........

Wolseley should be in the list, the Wolseley air cooled stationary engine was introduced about 3 or 4 years before they bought the H C Webb (lawnmower company).

In any case they all built good examples of air cooled stationary engines, regardless of other associations.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07 2016, 23:42

I run a couple of BSA 420cc's one stationary and one as part of a 3 inch Beresford close coupled pumping unit , both excellent runners and love em to bits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum