www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Flat Belts

4 posters

Go down

Flat Belts Empty Flat Belts

Post by chiefy Thu Jul 30 2015, 10:22

Hi ,What do you guys out there use for flat belt driving I would like to make a fast and loose system,so that I can start the engine in loose and switch to drive as I want I think a belt of 1" wide or25mmx700mm or800mmlong would do the job ok I intend to drive a alternator on one engine & a metal saw with the other engine. any advice or ideas welcome. CHIEFY.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Flat Belts Empty Re: Flat Belts

Post by Darryl Ovens Fri Jul 31 2015, 07:29

I've seen old tooth belts from engines (ie cam belts) used as flat belts by turning them inside out.  They get replaced long before they are at risk of breaking so are usually quite serviceable for our applications.  Some of the Vee engines have really long belts so you should be able to find the right length, eventually.  The only drawback is having the "teeth" on the outside.  Another option is really light conveyor belt or you can get synthetic belts made,  they are used on high speed machines like machine tools and wood moulding planers.  These are more expensive but have no joints.

Cheers
Darryl

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Fri Jul 31 2015, 10:42

Greetings Darryl From sunny England the idea of recycling old Cambelts appeals to me I can live with the teeth on the outside,I dont think I will have a belt made up it will probably cost more than I paid for the engines,I would like a cotinuous belt,so I think its round a few service garages to see whats available,Thanks for the ideaDarryl. Best Wishes Keith (aka Chiefy).

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Maglad Fri Jul 31 2015, 10:44

Hi .Hop down to the local tractor or hay baler dealer and buy a length of round bale belting ,cut it to width and join it they work very well ,will not slip or stretch .
Cheers Wal

Maglad
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Fri Jul 31 2015, 11:03

Hi Maglad(Wal) I have Not heard of that one what sort of width does this come in and how do you join them and can you switch these belts from fast to loose while the engine is running. Best Regards from Sunny Yorkshire.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Maglad Sun Aug 02 2015, 05:19

The belts are 6 inches wide and use the same belt joiners as they use to join them on round balers .We used round baler belting on a chaff cutter and joined two belts to get the length to get the tractor far enough to clear the chaff cutter .The old Webb belting flew to bits and we could not find a length long enough so we had to find a replacement of some sort .To cut it we clamped it between two lengths of timber and cut with sharp knife and joined it with belt joiner and had to twist belt to get right rotation on shaft and its not given any trouble . I seen it used on stationary engines to drive all sorts of pumps and used on saw bench .I can not see why it can not be used on drive stationary pulley set up as long as the joiner did not extend past the sides of the belt .There may be glue you can use I have not asked .
Regards Wal

Maglad

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Aug 03 2015, 12:44

I get all my flat belts from RDB at either Mow Cop, Hull or Doncaster.  Cheapest I know of, a 1" wide by 8' long balater belt joined was a tenner http://www.misterwhat.co.uk/company/270071-rdb-belting-ltd-stoke-on-trent

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Tue Aug 04 2015, 10:08

Hi maglad ,These round bale belts sound really toughhow much do they cost,and as you say so long as the joint does not stick out the side it should be ok thanks for that Wal . Best Wishes Keith.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Tue Aug 04 2015, 10:12

Hi Foden, Greetings from a sunny yorkshire(but for how long today). Thanks for the RDB contact.Best Wishes Keith.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Maglad Tue Aug 04 2015, 11:06

Hi Guys .I am based in New Zealand so unable to give a price .I was giving the belting I use by a dealer who was closing down and he gave it to our local vintage club .I would try your local machinery dealer or even a local hay contractor in your area and see if they have of cuts long enough or even used belting and cut any bad parts out .We can not buy the old type belting so looked to see what would work and it has worked well.
Regards Wal

Maglad

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Tue Aug 04 2015, 11:31

Thanks for that Wal I will have a nosey around some belting dealers and see what comes up.Best Wishes Keith.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Darryl Ovens Thu Aug 06 2015, 03:18

Was looking at a modern car engine today and it reminded me that there are also those "multi- vee" flat belts that they sometime use as "fan" belts.  Probably horrendously expensive new, but again I'm sure many of them get replaced before they break as well.

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Thu Aug 06 2015, 10:08

Hi Darryl.These multi V belts sound asthough they would fit the bill even better than a cam belt I will have a nosey about and see if i can source any used belts,thanks for that from a grey and overcast Yorkshire. Best Wishes Keith.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Tue Aug 11 2015, 12:17

Hi Darryl, Today I went to my local garage and asked him about multi ribbed v belts he gave me 2 to try and said if you need more come and see me again they look the dogs wotsits for my needs,thanks for the tip.Best wishes Keith.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Darryl Ovens Tue Aug 11 2015, 22:27

Great, sounds like that might work.
Really gives you the "warm fuzzies" when things do work out.
Cheers

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Wed Aug 12 2015, 09:59

Hi Darryl, It certainly gives you a buzz when you can recycle things and especially when you get it for now't (being a yorkshireman people say we are like scotsmen with the generosity bit removed).Cheers.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down