www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine

4 posters

Go down

Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine Empty Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine

Post by Oilynick Sun Feb 15 2015, 16:55

I have been given a Lister D type, in need of a bit of work, It has not been run for 20 years at least. From what I can gather, my example is the 3626th engine made in 1955, the little brass plate also says it is a 5 HP engine, buit I cannot seem to find any reference to a 5 HP engine, only 1, 1 1/2 and 2. I have tried to get it running, as yet, no success. The carb looked in a bit of a state, so I stripped it as far as I could, the butterfly was seized solid, so I freed that, the tickler on the float chamber was missing, so I made a replacement, the only thing I didn't take apart was the needle/main jet assembly, as it would not come apart, more plus gas needed I think. The round disk that controls the jet turns, but is very sloppy, and I am not sure if it is actually doing anything. I could not get a spark, on close inspection, the HT lead seemed to be a bit dodgy, it pulled out of the magneto , or should I say fell, with ease as did the plug cap, so I have replaced lead and cap and tried again, nothing. I took the plug out and it was dry as a bone, so it is back to the carb for another look next. I have given up for today as by back id destroyed from cranking the engine round. My original plan was to Get her fired up, have a listen, look at the exhaust smoke etc and then decide how far to go with new pares and suchlike. I an now thinking along the lines of a complete stripdown and rebuild, and then getting it running. What is the usual procedure? Here ia a few photos as it stands at the moment.....
Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine 20150212_154543

Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine 20150212_154503

Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine 20150212_154632

Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine 20150212_154644

Oilynick
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine Empty Re: Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15 2015, 17:17

Hi Nick, it looks as if you'll need to free of a few parts to get it running, also after fitting the new HT cable did you get a spark? There's a few threads about on overhauling a Lster D also there is a book that shows you how to do it, but at the end of the day it's up to you to decide how far you want to go with the overhaul as things like getting the flywheel off can be a right pain in the ass. I think most members have a D or have had one in the past o you should get plenty of help and maybe some spares if needed.
Like you say I don't think they did a 5hp D so can you get a good pic of the engine plate please.

Good luck,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine Empty Re: Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine

Post by Oilynick Sun Feb 15 2015, 17:37

Thanks Stu. Here is a photo of the ID plate.....
Lister d 5hp first go at restoring an engine ID_Plate

Oilynick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 15 2015, 18:11

Thanks Nick I'll have a think about that one, bet there's something simple with it Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oilynick Sun Feb 15 2015, 18:13

If it is of any help, I believe it was used to drive a milking machine....

Oilynick

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sun Feb 15 2015, 18:15

At only 700 rpm this is going to be a 1.5 hp engine. You can just see the faintly stamped 1.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oilynick Sun Feb 15 2015, 18:23

blue cat wrote:At only 700 rpm this is going to be a 1.5 hp engine. You can just see the faintly stamped 1.
Well spotted that man! I can just see the top of the '1' now that I have had a closer look. Many thanks.......

Oilynick

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Sun Feb 15 2015, 18:35

Hi Nick, As Stu has already said you have a few bits to free off, a bit of heat and patience will pay off there.

BUT you will achieve nothing without a sparking mag. Enjoy the project. Engine looks like 1950s to me going by the needle valve on the carb. Billy.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Oilynick Sun Feb 15 2015, 18:54

billypurves wrote:Hi Nick,     As Stu has already said you have a few bits to free off,   a bit of heat and patience will pay off there.

BUT you will achieve nothing without a sparking mag.   Enjoy the project. Engine looks like 1950s to me going by the needle valve on the carb.  Billy.

Hi Billy, I have most things freed off, I have had the carb in bits and made a tickler button, I did not want to force the big brass nut which I presume holds the main jet, so it has been soaking in Plus Gas, I can always back engineer the jet assembly and make one as I have a lathe and milling facilities. The mag is a worry, I am thinking I may not have been turning the engine over fast enough, it is not bolted down to anything, and I have a bad back and c.o.p.d, which prevents me from being too energetic with the starting handle. I will have to get it repaired/rewound if necessary........

Oilynick

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sun Feb 15 2015, 19:19

Hi Nick,
As Stu has said there is a book - it is entitled 'Lister D-Type Restoration' which is based on a series of articles published in the Stationary Engine magazine on the subject,I found this book a great help when I did my two.
You mention problems in getting the brass jet out - there is a grub screw which locks this in place - from experience I can tell you its best to unscrew this first!
All the best,
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Oilynick Sun Feb 15 2015, 19:47

Locknut wrote:Hi Nick,
As Stu has said there is a book - it is entitled 'Lister D-Type Restoration' which is based on a series of articles published in the Stationary Engine magazine on the subject,I found this book a great help when I did my two.
You mention problems in getting the brass jet out - there is a grub screw which locks this in place - from experience I can tell you its best to unscrew this first!
All the best,
Kev.
Thanks Kev, I did notice the grubscrew, or rather its remnants. If the Plus Gas won't shift it, I will drill it out.... I have ordered the running book and parts list from Stationary Engine Spares. I will Look for the other one....

Oilynick

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Sun Feb 15 2015, 20:19

Nick, I do not see the point in taking the jet out anyway, after copious amounts of PlusGas have been chucked at it the thing will be polished.
"D" carbs are very forgiving as long as fuel is in the bowl.

Having mags serviced can be an expensive pastime, often far out weighing the value of the engine,perhaps buying a good second hand mag is an easier option unless you are confident with electrics.

Regards Billy.

billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down