www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Stuart Pump Problem

3 posters

Go down

Stuart Pump Problem Empty Stuart Pump Problem

Post by steamman Thu Nov 13 2014, 12:24

Hi, I am taking apart my Stuart pump because it is full of rust, I have got the top air chamber off quite easily but I want to  dismantle the bottom part to get at the bottom valves and I am having a problem getting it apart, could some body give me some advice how to do this as I don't want to damage the pump.
Thank, Bernard.

url=http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSH0e77f5d6a8ae.jpg] Stuart Pump Problem PUSH0e77f5d6a8ae[/url]
steamman
steamman
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Stuart Pump Problem Empty Re: Stuart Pump Problem

Post by Foden Thu Nov 13 2014, 15:22

Plenty of easing oil etc down the studs Bernard as only rust and poverty and a gasket will be holding it. Maybe lock two nuts onto the studs and try to unscrew them, take it steady though as you dont want to snap them. You can also try some heat on the casting where the stud holes are, it will ruin the paint but I guess that isn't a problem.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steamman Thu Nov 13 2014, 16:08

Thanks Pete, would it be worth putting a piece of timber on top off the studs to protect them and tapping with a mallet.
Bernard.
steamman
steamman
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Fri Nov 14 2014, 11:56

Hi Bernard - I had similar problems with an Argosy pump recently - 'plus gas' dismanteling fluid (about £10 for 2x 400ml on fleabay) left overnight worked very well on some threads I thought were beyond help - how it penetrates so deep to allow movement is beyond me -also worth trying is the heat method which works well - the only one I wont do is the double up of lock nuts on one stud - because I snapped one flush with the head of a block once and that was a pain in the .......

a rubber mallet also works well on these cast units...

best

hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steamman Fri Nov 14 2014, 15:57

Hi Pete & Hamish, thanks for your advice, I have now managed to seperate the pump body without any damage using release oil and a bit of gentle persuasion, just got to clean out many years of rust now.
Thanks again, Bernard.
steamman
steamman
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum