www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

villiers mark 10 not running

4 posters

Go down

villiers mark 10 not running Empty villiers mark 10 not running

Post by sparrow Tue Oct 14 2014, 17:09

Hi all, I've recently got a villiers mark 10 engine, but I can't get it to start. I am new to playing with engines, so I know very little! It has got a spark, and good compression. It also turns over quite well but I can't get it to run. Has anyone got any advice of what to try next? Also how do I check/reset the timing? Thanks in advance for any help!

sparrow
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

villiers mark 10 not running Empty Re: villiers mark 10 not running

Post by Ally's_Engines Thu Oct 16 2014, 20:46

It might be a fuel problem you have, make sure that the spark plug is wet. If so, then it could possibly be a timing issue. On a Villiers Mk10, timing is quite easy all you need to do is unscrew the centre nut on the flywheel so it is free to move on the crankshaft. Move the flywheel until the points are just open and then tightly screw it back in and test that you're happy with the timing.

Hope that helps,
Alasdair

Ally's_Engines
Ally's_Engines
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Oct 16 2014, 23:45

hi there
have you tryed putting about teaspoon of fuel in the sparkplug hole of head and quickly get the plug back in and see if you get it to fire for a few seconds , this will show a fuel issue, timing is easy set piston to 3/16" Before TDC to  TDC top dead center on compression/valves closed strock, and see the flywheel mag to the timing mark line on backplate top, and match up the line etched into the mag flywheel
p.s the flywheel mag nut will undo and turn  free then go thight again give the spanner/ tool your using a few whacks with a cooper or lump hammer to pull the flywheel from crankshaft,as they are on a tapper lock system.
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sparrow Fri Oct 17 2014, 06:39

Hi guys, thanks for your replys. To be able to set the timing, do I need to take the head off, to be able to set the piston at the right place? I took the carb off, and sprayed some petrol in the engine whilst turning it over, and it fired a few times! Does this mean that I have a problem with the carb? If so how do I go about cleaning/repairing it? Thanks again for your help.

Sparrow

sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Fri Oct 17 2014, 08:46

Hi Sparrow and welcome.
You probably will need to take cylinder head off. I hesitate to contradict Kevin, who obviously has a vast knowledge of things Villiers, but my MK10 doesn't have any timing marks. The piston does not rise completely flush with the top of the cylinder or else you could just measure the 3/8" with a depth gauge. No harm in whipping the head off for a de-coke anyway. If you are careful you can preserve the gasket.
If you need one - I have a pdf of the Operating Instructions and Spare Parts list.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Fri Oct 17 2014, 16:15

Hi Sparrow,
Just realised I've been talking out of my bum. Embarassed
You can't use a depth gauge through the spark plug hole as the plug sits over the inlet valve -dur!
I checked this afternoon and can't see any timing marks - could you be a bit more specific Kev. BTW make sure you have set contact breaker points gap to 12 - 15 thou before you start.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sparrow Sat Oct 18 2014, 09:49

Hi woodsman, thanks for your help, I will reset the timing now, and try it again.
Sparrow

sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down