www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Help with a Lee Howel pump dismantling

2 posters

Go down

Help with a Lee Howel pump dismantling  Empty Help with a Lee Howel pump dismantling

Post by Paul123 Sat Sep 20 2014, 20:36

I am trying to restore a Lee Howel pump but I dont know how to remove the piston from the crank rod! Also can anyone tell me how to add a picture to this?
Sorry but I'm not very IT savvy.

Any help would be appreciated, Paul.

Paul123
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Help with a Lee Howel pump dismantling  Empty Re: Help with a Lee Howel pump dismantling

Post by Paul123 Sat Sep 20 2014, 21:11

I have Found a picture of the pump I am restoring on this forum but not much info on dismantling, I am trying to remove the crank connecting rod from the plunger rod and out of the casting!

http://www.stationaryengine.org/Rallies_2007/Woolpit/crossley2_woolpit_2007.jpg

Paul123
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Help with a Lee Howel pump dismantling  Empty Re: Help with a Lee Howel pump dismantling

Post by Appletop Mon Sep 22 2014, 07:48

Undo the 3 nuts at the back of the pump casting, then the front half will slide off allowing you access the the piston and then it's an easy job from then on.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul123 Mon Sep 22 2014, 10:59

Hi Villiers thanks for your help,

I have removed all of the front castings and the leather plunger assembly but it's the piston inside the back casting and the connecting rod that I'm trying to remove. I was wondering if the plunger rod unscrews from the back piston then the connecting rod could be removed from the crank case opening but I don't want to force anything

Paul123
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Mon Sep 22 2014, 18:51

Ah that one. The rod unscrews from the end of the piston then it's just a case of getting it lined up with the hole on the side, it will come out but unless the bearing is gone there isn't much point in getting it out as it can be a right faff. I have had a few of these pumps, got 2 at the moment.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul123 Mon Sep 22 2014, 20:05

Thanks that's really usefull to know. I just wanted to check the small & big ends out of the casting.
Can you please help me with a more serious problem I've got with the pump! Both of the crankshaft ends have loads of play, I was expecting bearings but no. I'm assuming that it was fitted with bushes of either white metal or phosphure bronze. If I couldn't find any info I was going to attempt to turn some PB bushes.

Paul123
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue Sep 23 2014, 18:29

They are just a machined hole in the casting, no bearings as such, if you can make new bushes up then it will be a vast improvement!!!
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum