www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

jap 2a timing and other questions

2 posters

Go down

jap 2a timing and other questions Empty jap 2a timing and other questions

Post by callum12 Tue Aug 12 2014, 01:23

hi all,
i've just been given a colwood model a motor hoe that has a jap 2a on it, this is my first time working on a small engine like this so i suspect there will be many for questions to come!
anyway, i've been inspecting the engine and in the process i have removed the magneto along with many other bits and bobs. now the time has come to rest the timing, how it this done? i have nipped up the nuts in the same position they where in before (i could tell via the ring of grime on the magneto backplate left by the washers) and the points open a few degrees BTDC. (the piston is about 4mm away from the top of the bore).

the engine was seized when i got it but all i had to do it fill the bore with a oil and paraffin mix, wait a bit the hit it with a resin hammer and wood. but now i have got a bore with a few scores and streaks of rust running down it. its obviously in need of a hone, my question is how do you hone a bore by hand as i don't have a drill hone and can i wire wool the rust off first and then hone it?

and finally, how do you remove the valves? i've heard that is a pain to do but i don't know how to go about it. at the moment i have zero compression!

thanks for any help,

regards,
callum Very Happy 
callum12
callum12
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

jap 2a timing and other questions Empty Re: jap 2a timing and other questions

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Aug 12 2014, 11:15

compression may be the piston rings stuck in piston due to seizing with the rust, or even a broken one to cause the scoures down the bore, you need to remove the piston anyway to clean the bore, you can get a drill hone for around the ten to fifteen pound mark delivered these days, cheap and do a few jobs before knackered
send me your email and think i have a manual for the 2a/2s range ,if i can find it since house move 
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Tue Aug 12 2014, 11:26

thanks kev,
where am i most likely to find spares? i did a quick of the SEPs ebay shop and nothing came up.
when removing the piston i will have to open up the crankcase, i'm aware you do this from the bottom, but how?
i'm sorry if any of these questions seem really basic, trust me its just as annoying for me too. i've gone from a lister d that i know my way around with my eyes closed to a smaller engine that i'm clueless about! Embarassed 
thanks for the help,
callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Tue Aug 12 2014, 16:28

I have removed the engine from the colwood motor hoe and have removed the bottom plate. unfortunately one of the governor weights has been snapped off, mushed up and left in the sludge, the other two are fine though. if i was to adjust the spring tension accordingly could i use just the two? or would it run much too fast.
i have removed the big end nuts but i cannot remove it, is there a technique to safely remove it?

thanks,
Callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Tue Aug 12 2014, 20:36

Kevjhnsn, i've just sent you a pm with my email,
thank you,
callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Aug 12 2014, 23:22

callum12 wrote:Kevjhnsn, i've just sent you a pm with my email,
thank you,
callum
private email sent to you as promised
if one of the weights is missing then the engine will be more out of ballance and shack  you more at the handles  Sad 
also stressing the rest of the linage and weights  due to unlevel  pressure on lever arm and unregular  fuel control to carb ect

kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Wed Aug 13 2014, 01:15

i did think about that, i'll see if i can braze it back together.
i still can't get that big end off though, any ideas?
thanks,
callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Wed Aug 13 2014, 19:58

the piston is out, all rings are stuck except one compression ring Rolling Eyes 
the oil scraper is broken but only half of it, anyone know where i can get rings from?
thanks,
Callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Aug 14 2014, 01:36

callum12 wrote:the piston is out, all rings are stuck except one compression ring Rolling Eyes 
the oil scraper is broken but only half of it, anyone know where i can get rings from?
thanks,
Callum
hi callum
you have a forum pm mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Thu Aug 14 2014, 18:34

the piston has been soaking in paraffin for 12 hours now, i was hoping to take it out and see all the rings have sprung free, but no  Very Happy 
i'll leave it a week before touching them i think.

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down