www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Diesel engine oil for a 1975 LR1

2 posters

Go down

Diesel engine oil for a 1975 LR1 Empty Diesel engine oil for a 1975 LR1

Post by AnotherBigAl Mon Apr 07 2014, 20:00

My Lister LR1 is my first foray into stationary engines and I am overwhelmed by information. Can anyone suggest a reasonable engine oil to use with my Lister LR1 diesel. There is a lot of tech spec in my book but Halfords do not seem to understand it. I presume I should be using a mineral rather than synthetic oil. Will any off the shelf diesel engine oil do?

Cheers
Alan

AnotherBigAl
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Diesel engine oil for a 1975 LR1 Empty Re: Diesel engine oil for a 1975 LR1

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Apr 07 2014, 23:01

i only did a tr2 last week for a customer mate ,but cant remember the grade for defo but 10/40 cheapbrand was 90% sure the grade the auto shop matched them up to,
 but these guys of the web 
 or any good auto spares shop /car parts shop ,not the halfords ,motorworld types the more commercially used  ones ,theres always atleast one in every town arround me supplying the garages and such bussinesses mate
will be able to look it up for the modern equalivilant oil for you and also oil filters and fuel filters also from the carparts will save you a good £10 with ease than these linked below

http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Lister-SR-Engine-Spares/
thnks again 
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AnotherBigAl Wed Apr 09 2014, 13:53

Hi.

Thank you for the suggestion. Now I have had time to digest the information I have to hand as well as a proper perusal of  my “Instruction manual and Parts list” (Book 1423/1068) it seems clear that I should be using a mono grade SAE 10W mineral oil that conforms to one of these specifications, DEF2101C, BS1905 or (military) MIL-L-2104A. Stationary Engine Parts only supply a multi grade oil SAE 10/40. They add that it is marine oil rather than diesel engine oil. Another place I have looked at sells mono grade SAE 10W but list it as a fork oil. Locally, I can buy a SAE 10W/30 mineral diesel engine oil. So my choices are:

1 -- Multi grade SAE 10W/30 mineral diesel engine oil
2 -- Multi grade SAE 10W/40 marine oil
3 – Mono grade SAE10W fork oil

I have no idea what the differences are between diesel engine oil, marine oil and fork oil. I do know that multi grade oil has a Winter and summer viscosity (10W for winter and 30 or 40 for summer).  I also now know that all 3 choices conform to the (military) spec of MIL-L-2104A as well as to BS1905

What does everyone think. Which way should I jump?

AnotherBigAl
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Apr 10 2014, 00:30

AnotherBigAl wrote:Hi.

Thank you for the suggestion. Now I have had time to digest the information I have to hand as well as a proper perusal of  my “Instruction manual and Parts list” (Book 1423/1068) it seems clear that I should be using a mono grade SAE 10W mineral oil that conforms to one of these specifications, DEF2101C, BS1905 or (military) MIL-L-2104A. Stationary Engine Parts only supply a multi grade oil SAE 10/40. They add that it is marine oil rather than diesel engine oil. Another place I have looked at sells mono grade SAE 10W but list it as a fork oil. Locally, I can buy a SAE 10W/30 mineral diesel engine oil. So my choices are:

1 -- Multi grade SAE 10W/30 mineral diesel engine oil
2 -- Multi grade SAE 10W/40 marine oil
3 – Mono grade SAE10W fork oil

I have no idea what the differences are between diesel engine oil, marine oil and fork oil. I do know that multi grade oil has a Winter and summer viscosity (10W for winter and 30 or 40 for summer).  I also now know that all 3 choices conform to the (military) spec of MIL-L-2104A as well as to BS1905

What does everyone think. Which way should I jump?
 10/40 diesel engine oil think ive said that above also mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down