www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

1929 Euston BPR

3 posters

Go down

1929 Euston BPR Empty 1929 Euston BPR

Post by edwards653 Wed Feb 12 2014, 09:45

Hi folks, looking for some advice! I have the chance to buy a 29 Ruston BPR which has been laid up for 5 years, the engines complete other than the cover over the con rod, it even has the oiler and the mag was in the guys house for good keeping. It was running well when it was laid up inside a garage. Its in good condition I would say. Been offered it for 400. Your opinion/advice would be gratefully received. I currently have a Ruston PB and PT and a wolsely WD8.

edwards653
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

1929 Euston BPR Empty Ruston BPR engine

Post by misterengine1932 Wed Feb 12 2014, 10:46

Hi, has the engine been restored or not, they are nice engines, but be prepared for some weight in moving it, they are well made but very heavy. Is the mag a rotary BTH or wico EK, the splashguard will be a bit tricky in making but not too bad, once set up, they do run well, as for the price, I would say that it's about right, providing the mag sparks o.k that is.     Hope that you get it, and look forward to seeing some pics of it, thanks, M.E. Smile
misterengine1932
misterengine1932
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

1929 Euston BPR Empty Re: 1929 Euston BPR

Post by edwards653 Wed Feb 12 2014, 10:49

Thanks, not sure as I've not seen the mag, it was restored many years ago and rallied by this guys father in law. I think he said it was rotary but not sure! Will maybe go and have another look before making up my mind.

edwards653

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Feb 12 2014, 12:39

Rob aka Villiers has one, I'm sure he can answer any of your questions you may have .

Matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

1929 Euston BPR Empty Ruston bpr

Post by misterengine1932 Wed Feb 12 2014, 12:55

Hi, it can have either mag, I have rustons with both on at that year, the bth mag, would be expensive to have repaired if it doesn't work, the wico ek isn't much better though as costs increase all the time for rewinds e.t.c, however at least you can buy the coils in the states already done, but it is cost. If you go back, just check the castings for cracks as well, the PR range suffered from frost damage at the front of the lower crankcase, where the mounting feet are, the castings are prone to cracking there as the scale builds up in the narrow water way part of the foot, then sweats ands freezes, if there are any cracks near these areas the price needs to be a lot lower then as it's a stripdown.the fuel tank should sit underneath the arch of the crankcase also, check for corrosion there as well, the exhaust should be the cone type 2 part as well, sometimes they do get broke or lost. If it's straight and has all original parts, obviously without the crankguard, and the mag is o.k, you should be o.k, good luck.
misterengine1932
misterengine1932
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by edwards653 Wed Feb 12 2014, 13:31

Thanks a lot guys, will get over at the weekend for another look and let you know how it goes!

edwards653

Back to top Go down

1929 Euston BPR Empty Ruston BPR

Post by misterengine1932 Wed Feb 12 2014, 15:30

Hi, no problems, hope that you have a good deal, look forward to hearing from you, cheers. Smile
misterengine1932
misterengine1932
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down