www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

ListerD Gib Key out but Flywheel stuck

2 posters

Go down

ListerD Gib Key out but Flywheel stuck Empty ListerD Gib Key out but Flywheel stuck

Post by freethought Sat Jan 04 2014, 18:17

After a battle with the Gib Key and prolonged use of a puller with liberal quantities of WD40 the Gib Key has been removed and looks to be in good condition. HOWEVER, the fly wheel remains well and truly stuck in place. I have tried leavers, jacks and dare I say a lump hammer. I do not have a puller big enough to fit round the flywheel so any suggestions, as to what can be done to shift it, would be most welcome. I am assuming there are no other bolts or retainers I've overlooked that could be holding it on.
Jim

freethought
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

ListerD Gib Key out but Flywheel stuck Empty Re: ListerD Gib Key out but Flywheel stuck

Post by Biggusdannus Sat Jan 04 2014, 19:47

Take the flywheel and crank off in one piece (the bolts behind the flywheel). Once you have it out lift it vertically and carefully drop the end of the crank on a piece of wood on the floor ensuring your feet and anything else is well out the way. With the weight of the flywheel acting as the hammer it should just slide off the shaft.
Alternatively remove the crankcase cover and place a block of wood under the crankweb so that it stops the engine from turning a complete revolution (not the piston as the oil dipper will be damaged), roll the flywheel back in the opposite direction to the wooden stop and sharply pull the flywheel. The flywheel should start to turn on the shaft, usually once you have movement you can just 'unscrew' the flywheel off the shaft. I hope this helps.
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

ListerD Gib Key out but Flywheel stuck Empty Re: ListerD Gib Key out but Flywheel stuck

Post by freethought Sun Jan 05 2014, 10:58

Thanks for the tip. As I have to be a bit careful with my back I've been reluctant to try and take the crank out before I've got the flywheel off but it looks as though I'm going to have to. I will have one last attempt with the wood chock you suggest and then bite the bullet so to speak.
Jim

freethought
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by freethought Mon Feb 10 2014, 20:27

Eventually the flywheel has been removed. I had to remove the crankshaft with the flywheel on. It was absolutely solid on the crank so I built a wooden frame to support the flywheel horizontally with the crankshaft raised off the ground. The flywheel was then coaxed off the shaft using a sledge hammer. It was on so tight that I crushed several old sockets that I used to prevent damaging the end of the crankshaft when hitting it with the sledge hammer. I couldn't believe how tight the flywheel was held on mainly friction as it was relatively rust free.
Jim

freethought
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down