www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston 6ps

5 posters

Go down

Ruston 6ps Empty Ruston 6ps

Post by Ibonaol Thu Oct 03 2013, 17:46

Hi all, Some may have been following this one in the restoration section but now it's finished and ready for the Twyford museum open day this weekend.
It's caused tears, laughter and very nearly divorce to get it there but I am pleased with outcome. Your thoughts ?

Ian

Ruston 6ps Null_zps860edfd3

Ruston 6ps Null_zpsba255843
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Ruston 6ps Empty Re: Ruston 6ps

Post by Appletop Thu Oct 03 2013, 18:15

Look all right to me chap. There was one at Henham this year, was the first one I have ever seen "in the flesh" so to speak, ran well.

Now you need something for all that air you're gonna make.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Thu Oct 03 2013, 18:38

Ha ha yes I do. my misses reckons I'm full of hot air already so should have already sorted something.
Did think about an air line and blow balloons up and hand out to the little ones. Would need some sort of inline filter though as it blows a small amount of oil out. A common fault apparently.
Ian
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Oct 03 2013, 18:55

Funny that, my wife thinks I'm all wind and pi55!!
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Thu Oct 03 2013, 19:57

Ibonaol wrote:Hi all, Some may have been following this one in the restoration section but now it's finished and ready for the Twyford museum open day this weekend.
It's caused tears, laughter and very nearly divorce to get it there but I am pleased with outcome. Your thoughts ?

Ian

Ruston 6ps Null_zps860edfd3

Ruston 6ps Null_zpsba255843

looks really really good, any idea on age, looks like it weighs a lot! You have done a brilliant restoration on it, That's one you should be proud of!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Thu Oct 03 2013, 20:08

Thanks Lewis. Can't get a exact date as serial plate missing and no serial stamped on crank end. Ray Hooley has had pics and the mag is not original so can't date it from that. Based on what is there think it's from early to mid thirties. Hoping to pick some brains at Twyford this weekend. It is a bit meaty to move around
Ian
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Thu Oct 03 2013, 21:55

Sorry to disappoint you Ian, but that Mag platform is for a Lucas RS1 and that mag didn't come into production until 1937 so post then. Also the fat flywheel was later, not sure when but post '34 as Twyfords original (now lost) had a thin flywheel, similar casting to the 8PB. We don't have much info on the 6PS unfortunately but hopefully enough to whet your appetite. You need a brass cover for your air inlet. The part was reused on the later PT's carb so you should be able to pick one up. Other than that very nice! and looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Has the green changed?

Mark

Stamford24
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Thu Oct 03 2013, 21:58

Thanks Mark that's the sort of info I need looking forward to having a chat on Sunday.
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Thu Oct 03 2013, 22:01

Just realised I'm wrong on the inlet as that's the outlet! You have a burgess type oil bath air filter which again probably makes it a later engine. Still very nice though.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Sun Oct 06 2013, 20:49

Many Thanks Ian for bringing the 6PS along today despite all the troubles. Hope you enjoyed the day and had a safe journey home.

Mark

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Sun Oct 06 2013, 20:58

Cheers Mark
Had a very enjoyable day. Was great to see all the PS's together. Look forward to the next one.

Ian

Ruston 6ps Null_zps229f5035
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Sun Oct 06 2013, 21:16

Glad you enjoyed it. Could be a while before there is another big event as the roof has to be done now and then its the big push for the return to Steam project. Maybe after that we can look at another 'special' do.
Ruston 6ps IMG_0170a_zpsf9102cc6

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Sun Oct 06 2013, 21:36

Here's a link to a short video of the 6ps and 2ps gathering

https://youtu.be/XVpxOK6uUes
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Oct 06 2013, 22:22

Was there today also showing the Amanco, really nice rally and a great selection on engines even saw my first Carrot top PT in the flesh so that was a bonus lol but that was a great display of the PS had never seen one of them also

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Mon Oct 07 2013, 10:27

One thing I forgot to mention Ian is your engine is on a sub base, not seen that before, but no doubt there are others. Points more to a stationary use in my mind, but might be worth asking Ray Hooley about? Municipal engine house use would probably have had a concrete plinth so could be a smaller pump house? or maybe even a stand alone compressor?

Mark

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down