www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Paint Stripping

3 posters

Go down

Paint Stripping Empty Paint Stripping

Post by silverfox Tue Aug 20 2013, 13:57

Hi everyone

I am in the prossess of stripping my Lister D both mechanically and of its paint. It has been repainted in recent years much of which is coming off. However, some is proving to be somewhat stubbon including some of the original paint which has been brushed over. Cutting to the chase. Will Nitromors do the trick? Will it shift the original paint work?

Thanks in anticipation

John

silverfox
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Paint Stripping Empty Re: Paint Stripping

Post by Biggusdannus Tue Aug 20 2013, 14:45

Nitromors is not as good as it used to be. I only tend to use paint stripper on aluminium castings and the like.
For cast iron I use an old wood chisel to scrape off the majority of the paint and then a wire wheel on the end of a drill to shift the rest.
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by joegrgraham Tue Aug 20 2013, 21:13

As mentioned above, nitromors has been watered down to the point of being useless. On small bits I use a wire wheel on a drill clamped in a vice, for the big bits, a wire cup brush on 41/2 inch angle grinder. Make sure you wear a mask as the original paint contains lead.

1926 Lister B (in bits).
joegrgraham
joegrgraham
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down