www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

possible first project but which one?

+2
Stamford24
garethmob
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

possible first project but which one? - Page 2 Empty Re: possible first project but which one?

Post by garethmob Mon Jun 03 2013, 23:22

nutgone wrote:
garethmob wrote:ahhhh lol ok, i think i will take them off, polish them up a bit! any ideas what the top one is about?

Military contract info I expect. Probably won't mean much to you or me, but could well get you some info on the engine, & what it did, later on.

is there a database with the info on it? so i can check?

Please let me know if any of my posts dont make sence, im dyslexic, they may make sence to me,but not to every one i'll happly rewrite it just let me know Smile

garethmob
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

possible first project but which one? - Page 2 Empty Re: possible first project but which one?

Post by nutgone Mon Jun 03 2013, 23:45

No idea I'm afraid. I have a military engine (WW2 American generating set) & I eventually found out it's use on a military forum, but it took a hell of a lot of googling! (If that's a real word Laughing ).

Your enamel paints are easy to find, but don't let anyone talk you into buying Hammerite, it's rubbish. There is a much better "One Coat" (or self undercoating) paint called Rustoleum, but it's expensive. I still reckon, for maximum durability, you can't beat the proper way, a decent primer & proper engine enamel on top.

That Teamac primer is good stuff, as used by the trades on stuff like iron railings & in agriculture. Whatever you put on top is up to you, but I just use the Bradite these days, as I can get it easy enough & it's very reasonably priced. It usually goes on well too, although I did have one tin that gave me trouble, but that was mixed at a different shop (just needed thining, but I often thin my paints down a bit anyway, especially in hot weather).

A word on colours. Most paints are available in all the colours. You pick them from 3 main charts, you've got the RAL colours & then there's the 2 main BS charts (I forget the number codes now). Unless you know exactly what colour you want, be very careful choosing from a chart, especially one on line. Every time I have picked from a chart the paint I get is too bright, even when I've looked at a proper colour chart card in the shop. So if you are unsure, then always go one shade darker in my humble opinion.

Best of luck. I haven't had a good look at your pics yet, will have to do that tomorrow now. Very Happy

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Mon Jun 03 2013, 23:47

I use there primer

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04 2013, 12:20

Gaz I think you need to slow down a bit first LOL. Wait till it's running before changing the oil in case you need to strip it down you could end up wasting it. Take the air filter off an un-cease the choke so it's fully working. A normal bit of thin rope should do you as a starter for now just tie a bit of wood at the end. The hardest bit is getting in behind the flywheel to clean/check the points but I'll let someone with a bit more knowledge tell you the best way to do that.
As for colour it's your engine paint it what ever colour you want and don't let anyone tell you different you saved it from scrap that's all that matters.
A fuel tank for a villiers is not to difficult to pick up on ebay just try and get the brackets at the same time as they are normally the difficult parts to find unless you can make some.

Hope you enjoy your engine,
Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jun 04 2013, 16:19

stationary stu wrote:
As for colour it's your engine paint it what ever colour you want and don't let anyone tell you different you saved it from scrap that's all that matters.

Hope you enjoy your engine,
Stu.

Quite right too. Anything I said above (IE: black barrel silver head) was only to give you ideas. If you like blue, paint the whole thing blue.

There may well be engines you really want to paint in original colours, & if that's the case we'll help you find out what those original colours are meant to be.

I would still like to know, just out of interest, what colours Villiers painted their engines.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Wed Jun 05 2013, 18:57

Atco painted the Villiers engines green but was that the original Villiers colour?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Jun 05 2013, 21:59

garethmob wrote:

also what were the origional colours of these engines (all models) this is a dark green....... i would like to do a blue but not if its out of place.

also there was a interesting plaque on the top with contract infomation, is this normal?

thanks guys:)

Gaz
As far as colour goes, bottom line its your choice. But in my mind, this being an engine of war in my mind it deserves to be in its war colours.
To plate is an MOD/War Department Equipment ID plate Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by garethmob Sun Jun 09 2013, 22:59

hello guys

spent the day messing with her! actually got her started on um *cough* *cough* break and clutch cleaner *cough* *cough* need to get a fuel tank as i wasnt able to get her to run on her own through the coke bottle Sad couldnt get a syphon.

also could some one help, my exaust keeps rattling its self off the engine, i think the screws are imperial (i only have metric) as they wouldnt hold (either that or i need to retap the holes)

i also scraped away alittle bit of paint and it looks like she was blue under neath.........

iv decided on a colour any way, this colour ish. only as i have a spray can here full of it and i do like the colour.(when i had to repair my old KA before i bought the merc)

possible first project but which one? - Page 2 Used-ford-ka-013666373265155

im glad she was working though:)

also any one able to show me what the starting stap looks like, neally broke my arm and wrist a few times starting it with rope Sad

thanks guys

Gaz

Please let me know if any of my posts dont make sence, im dyslexic, they may make sence to me,but not to every one i'll happly rewrite it just let me know Smile

garethmob
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2