www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!)

+3
Stamford24
kevjhnsn
Hughesy
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!)

Post by nutgone Sat Jun 15 2013, 11:49

Cheers Lewis,

Time will tell. It can't be any weaker than the brittle cast iron. I will just have to be extra careful re-attaching it to the flywheel.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!)

Post by Biggusdannus Sat Jun 15 2013, 14:01

Hi Matt, have you seen the carb on ebay. My mate fitted one the same to his bamford, it's all bronze so it'll shine up well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200933800510?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Jun 15 2013, 15:28

Cheers Dan, I will keep an eye on that one. 👍

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 14:23

Good work Nuts, fingers crossed it will hold, yet looking at the welds it does look to have good penertration. Embarassed Very Happy:stick lol::stick lol::stick lol:

Stu

Back to top Go down

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 Empty No Wheels On My Bamford

Post by nutgone Wed Jun 26 2013, 23:35

It's been a little while since I've reported on this one, it was still peeping out from underneath it's cover so I decided to have a little play with it this evening.

Mark has promised a visit soon, & said he would bring his gib key puller, so I thought I'd better get it prepared for him. I started by removing the pulley, which has been proving a bit of a pain. I eventually got it off with a 2 legged puller in between the spokes (I didn't have a big enough puller to go round the outer edge).

This engine is still in a bit of a mess, so I didn't get to take many pictures as my hands (although covered with thin nitrile medical examination gloves) were caked in old oil & grease, so the pictures had to wait until it came time to rest or change my gloves.

Anyway, the flywheel gib key was looking at me & I thought I would have a little go. When I picked up my haul of Stuart Turner parts the other day I noticed among them what looked like a gib key punch/chisel type thing. I wasn't sure if it was for gib keys or not, but I had a go anyway. I had been trying to remove the key on the governor side some time ago, but to no avail. I had heated the area several times & dowsed it in my home made easing oil solution, but the possible extractor tool I had wasn't big enough for this side, as the key head was too far away from the edge of the flywheel, but it would fit in the pulley side, so I gave it a bash (with a big hammer).

Low & behold the key moved! :shock:I couldn't believe it! So I went to the other side, found some metal to pack between the tool & the flywheel & after some considerable effort I managed to move that one as well! Shocked....

It wasn't easy getting the flywheels off the shaft though, particularly the pulley side (some filing was involved), but eventually they came off (with a lot of grunting & sweating & effort, but I kept the swearing to a minimum as I have religious neighbours & this one's close to the fence)....

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 2013-06-26205440_zpsd0913310

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 2013-06-26205428_zps3498e7e1

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 2013-06-26210248_zpsa1449f47

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 2013-06-26210305_zps95b073e8

So then I thought I would go the whole hog & get the crank shaft out as well (& why not?)....

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 2013-06-26211806_zps58e09d05

Which left me with some more bits to clean....

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 2013-06-26211821_zpsef7fe05b

I took plenty of pictures to remind me where everything goes, the gib keys should be fine for re-use (I marked them up so they go back in their respective holes). Now it's pretty much completely disassembled, so just need to get on with the parts cleaning & get priming I suppose.

Once again I need fuel & water tanks, but there's time for all that. I will need a good coil for a Wico A mag & a 15 tooth sprocket (same pitch as a Lister one) to fit the mag. I think I may have sorted the push-rods, they may be the wrong length, but I can work on that with my newly discovered welding skills.

All coming along nicely then. Just a track-rod end to do on my car now. I've got a feeling that won't go quite so easy for me though (but I have been spraying it with my magic potion for the past couple of days).

Oh yeah, I suppose I'd better find out what shade of green Bamfords painted their engines.... :chin:

Last edited by nutgone on Thu Jun 27 2013, 15:25; edited 1 time in total

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 Empty What Lies Beneath

Post by nutgone Thu Jun 27 2013, 15:24

Started cleaning up the grime today, & look what turned up under it all....

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 2013-06-27141129_zps1f087aea

Trouble is the other side has pretty much no paint at all....

Bamfords SV 5hp (yet another project, they seem to be getting bigger!) - Page 2 2013-06-27142204_zps4e29cc6f

& the flywheels show no signs of any original paint either (that's if what I have found is actually original).

Sad to say, but I think it will all be attacked with the wire brush wheel on the grinder, then primed & re-painted & a new transfer applied. I'm not so sure the paint on it is original anyway.

I will take plenty of pictures though & measure where the transfer was placed, so a replacement can go in exactly the same spot.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Thu Jun 27 2013, 16:30

Looks like the paint is not original. As there is a lot and no chips

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Jun 27 2013, 18:14

Lewis MacRae wrote:Looks like the paint is not original. As there is a lot and no chips

I'm not so sure now, now I've attacked it with the wire brush on the angle grinder. The paint was quite soft & pretty thick, there also appeared to be paint where there shouldn't be.

Oh well, I've started so I'll finish Very Happy.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Thu Jun 27 2013, 18:47

Upload some pics later on

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2