www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

who say cheap engines dont exhist no more ..... ( D type restoration )

+4
steve w
Ianhw77k
Abes
matt86
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

who say cheap engines dont exhist no more ..... ( D type restoration ) - Page 2 Empty Re: who say cheap engines dont exhist no more ..... ( D type restoration )

Post by matt86 Wed Apr 03 2013, 16:16

cheers stu , yes i think it going to be an easy one . but the mag is deffently a dead one , so it be sent of at some point .Piston ring is on order so that should be with me soon .

Need to get a trolley knocked up for it 1st i think , so as im doing bits can be replaced onto the trolley .

matt

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

who say cheap engines dont exhist no more ..... ( D type restoration ) - Page 2 Empty who say cheap engines dont exhist no more ..... ( D type restoration )

Post by biomed32uk Wed Apr 03 2013, 21:45

Be very interested to know how you get on with that oil ring, the one I am fitting is being a right royal pita, as you'll see in my "another lister d" thread.

Geoff

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

who say cheap engines dont exhist no more ..... ( D type restoration ) - Page 2 Empty Re: who say cheap engines dont exhist no more ..... ( D type restoration )

Post by matt86 Wed Apr 03 2013, 22:04

Geoff it was not from cox and turner in the end as there allways a pain to get hold of so i said sod it and went for another company . a nice wise chap i delt with .

Il let you know how get on . Its £16 for a ring . but he has to make it .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

who say cheap engines dont exhist no more ..... ( D type restoration ) - Page 2 Empty who say cheap engines dont exhist no more ..... ( D type restoration )

Post by biomed32uk Wed Apr 03 2013, 22:55

No, mine came from Thorntons and that was £11.50 a go, I am certain the ring is too wide, bottoming on the groove and jamming the piston up.

Emailed Thorntons back with my findings and waiting to see what they say.

Looks a good interesting engine, shame the mags dead as that was the first hurdle with the one I am fitting new rings on - £80 later for a rewind. Sure some soaking, time and tapping will see that plug out.

Geoff

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Apr 04 2013, 07:22

soak the plug from in the combustion chamber with head off and upside down. would leave for a few days before trying again. I'm going to enstone so if a mag there at a sensible price I'll get one.

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:42

Geoff, I know you shouldn't have to do this but if I was you I'd try and thin the ring down by rubbing it on a flat sheet of fine wet and dry with a bit of diesel or similar soaked into the wet and dry.

Good luck finding a mag Matt, most good uns on ebay are selling for around £50 these days so hope you find a bargin.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Apr 06 2013, 11:57

Stu , mags seem to be going up in price , once my coil comes back for my spare anticlock mag for the lister A i could borrow the coil to see if i can get it working .

I have decided that i wont paint this engine as still have it in my mind how much more work it is when did the fowler . So a degrease and a oil up or a wipe with paraffin would do i think . But make a nice hardwood trolley for it to set it off .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 13:06

Fingers crossed Matt you might pick something up at a good price. Just make sure you have enough money to buy what you need and not enough to have you sleeping in the shed. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Apr 06 2013, 19:18

i will have to see Stu whats about .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2