www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister H1 Pump Trolley

+6
Stamford24
matt86
SussexSteamFan
nutgone
Abes
Ianhw77k
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lister H1 Pump Trolley - Page 2 Empty Re: Lister H1 Pump Trolley

Post by SussexSteamFan Tue Feb 04 2014, 19:37

Hi all, haven't had a good look on here for a while and just realized that I never got round to finishing off this thread! So here's a little update...

The structure of the trolley has been finished for a few months now. It has been fixed together using 8 2.5 inch wood screws (2 in each end of the 2 central 'struts', which is plenty strong enough) which have been countersunk 1 inch into the frame and then topped off with plugs (cut out from off cuts) with the grain matched as closely as possible and sanded back, flush with the frame. This makes it surprisingly hard to notice them in artificial light! I haven't however got round to varnishing the frames yet, any advice on what type to use would be helpful.

To attach the pump to the trolley I drilled 4 holes in the trolley, slightly smaller than the threaded bar which was simply screwed slowly into the holes, which I can assure you will not be coming out of the rock solid mahogany any time soon! The pump is then simply bolted on, meaning it is nice and easy to remove the pump should I want to.

A few pics for everyone to ponder over...

Lister H1 Pump Trolley - Page 2 Lister11

Lister H1 Pump Trolley - Page 2 Lister12

Lister H1 Pump Trolley - Page 2 Lister13

Lister H1 Pump Trolley - Page 2 Lister14

Lister H1 Pump Trolley - Page 2 Lister15

Lister H1 Pump Trolley - Page 2 Lister16

As mentioned, plumbing and varnishing has been delayed due to GCSE's and money (or lack of it!), however shouldn't be too long now thanks to my new job, fingers crossed!
Toby.

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by SussexSteamFan Wed Feb 05 2014, 16:23

Does anybody happen to have any spare 5/8'' copper pipe lying around or know anywhere where I can get it in low quantities, local shops don't seem to sell 5/8''...
Toby.

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Wed Feb 05 2014, 17:23

[quote="SussexSteamFan"]Does anybody happen to have any spare 5/8'' copper pipe lying around or know anywhere where I can get it in low quantities, local shops don't seem to sell 5/8''...
Toby.[/quote]

Why do you want 5/8??????

That is a random size and doesn't fit in with any "standard". I can get it, shortest length is 3m.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SussexSteamFan Wed Feb 05 2014, 17:44

Villiers wrote:Why do you want 5/8??????

That is a random size and doesn't fit in with any "standard".  I can get it, shortest length is 3m.

Only because thats seems to be the size of the pipe fittings which came fitted to the pump when I acquired it...

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Wed Feb 05 2014, 17:53

Right, with you now. If I was you I'd have the fittings out and go get a couple of new 22mm x whatever and replace them if you want to go down the copper pipe road, be a lot easier and cheaper! I think they are 1inch pipe but not sure.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Lister H1 Pump Trolley - Page 2 Empty nice trolley

Post by fretman Wed Feb 05 2014, 18:17

hi there , nice trolley that,,, got an H1 myself and going to do a trolley like that,, but making my own wheels of wood, will turn four up as not able to find cast ones at a reasonable price.
fretman
fretman
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Wed Feb 05 2014, 18:31

Very nice finish mate well done, have you managed to get any rallies in yet the old girl loves them lol

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SussexSteamFan Tue Feb 11 2014, 17:34

Abes wrote:Very nice finish mate well done, have you managed to get any rallies in yet the old girl loves them lol

No unfortunately not, have no way of transporting the lot around now the cars snuffed it... Sad

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by SussexSteamFan Sun Feb 16 2014, 16:32

A quick video of the pump running now the new flat belt has arrived, had to play on the concrete in fear of the equipment sinking!
Have had to drill out the plugs in the trolley after using non-waterproof glue (what a mistake to make eh?!) and will soon be making new ones. I will then be able to stain the trolley and will buy a nice galvanized bucket in due course...

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Feb 16 2014, 17:51

Looks like you need some gland packing round the Flanges that are round the "piston" as it leaks a bit of water?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SussexSteamFan Sun Feb 16 2014, 18:34

Lewis MacRae wrote:Looks like you need some gland packing round the Flanges that are round the "piston" as it leaks a bit of water?

Ah yes, forgot to mention. The gland packing is already in there, just need to tighten it up. The rear gland has been tightened up sufficiently, allowing a few small drips out every now and then for lubrication, this end is easy to adjust with the bolts easily accessible when running. However the front gland (the one seen leaking in the video) has been partially tightened up, however getting to the bolts requires the removal of the pulley, hence it cannot be done while in operation and is going to be a more hit'n'miss affair, tightening it up a little each time before my next few runs until it is sufficiently tight...

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Tue Feb 18 2014, 23:23

are the wheels on the trolley for the pump from bearing boys?
they look much nicer in you pics and video than they do on their web site. Though all your equipment looks very nice, I assume thats a fuel filter on you Lister?
well done with your built  Very Happy 

callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by SussexSteamFan Wed Feb 19 2014, 10:12

callum12 wrote:are the wheels on the trolley for the pump from bearing boys?
they look much nicer in you pics and video than they do on their web site. Though all your equipment looks very nice, I assume thats a fuel filter on you Lister?
well done with your built  Very Happy 

callum

Thanks for the comments. The wheels came with the pump when I brought it from Abes last year. All I know is that they are old caster wheels which I have just painted up. And yes, there is an original fuel filter fitted on the D.
Toby.

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Wed Feb 19 2014, 18:27

the wheels from bearing boys are for castors as well, though its probably a fairly universal casting design.

about keeping the pump spaced from the engine, you could make some wooden chocks and drill a hole in each for a re-bar. this will save you drilling holes in your nice new trolley.

Callum
callum12
callum12
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2